The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-16-2022, 09:43 PM

The Battle of Alberta, friends! Great for hockey, the NHL, and Canada. I've seen a lot of great playoff games - last nights win for my Flames was in the top 5. Oettinger was the MVP of that series. He's a tremendous goalie. Markstrom was also good. Gaudreau proved to this fan he should wear the "C", next season. Or, at the very least, an "A". Good to see Tkachuk snap out of a small slump.

The Oilers will not have the defence to stop the Flames. Nor the consistent goaltending. That's how I see this one playing out. The Blues are a very tough out for the Avs. Carolina should beat the Rangers, but the Bruins took them to 7 games, which surprised me. The Bolts and Panthers will be almost as good as the Battle of Alberta, but, then again, not even close!

GO FLAMES!!! (As a born/raised New Yorker, I'd love to see the Flames/Rangers in the Cup final)

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-17-2022, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
As a Pens fan I'm disappointed. Being unable to score on a 5 on 3 power play however is inexcusable.

What's sad is that this could be the end of the Pens under Crosby, Malkin and LeTang. I'm still trying to muster up hope for the next generation of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
meh.. that's nothin!!

7 games of watching the Bruins power play be about as useless as a screen door in a sub,, yea.--- that was AWESOME.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-17-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
meh.. that's nothin!!

7 games of watching the Bruins power play be about as useless as a screen door in a sub,, yea.--- that was AWESOME.
Pens peppered Shesterkin. Just couldn't get it done. Domingue did well to keep them in the series. Well enough. Losing your #1 keeper (like the Preds) kept the Pens from advancing. I watched every game. They played well enough to win. ZIbanejad killed them.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-17-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Neil - Is there any buzz about what Pens are planning for Malkin and Letang. Both will be 36 and count for $17M. I believe Rust may also be free this year. May be time for the rebuild, despite still being a very good team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
The situation regarding pending free agents Malkin, Letang and Rust is complicated by the fact that a new owner (The Fenway Group) bought the franchise just a few months ago. No one seems to know how they feel about those players. Significantly, David Moorehouse, the Pens CEO for the past 16 years resigned at the end of the regular season, and some have speculated that The Fenway Group may be planning a lot more changes in management as well as on the ice. Stay tuned...
I'm still coming up to speed on this, but I have no love for out of state ownership. I think at least one of the 3 are going. My money would be on LeTang.

The local CBS Sports talk radio says that Malkin said he thinks of Pittsburgh as his second home and he'd like to retire a Penguin but if he gets a better offer he'd entertain it.

There's also a rumor that Sid was cleared to play game 6 but the front office is contesting this as being false. Given that Jarry was walking around in an ice boot after game 7 again I wouldn't take the front office's version as anything more than damage control.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I'm still coming up to speed on this, but I have no love for out of state ownership. I think at least one of the 3 are going. My money would be on LeTang.

The local CBS Sports talk radio says that Malkin said he thinks of Pittsburgh as his second home and he'd like to retire a Penguin but if he gets a better offer he'd entertain it.

There's also a rumor that Sid was cleared to play game 6 but the front office is contesting this as being false. Given that Jarry was walking around in an ice boot after game 7 again I wouldn't take the front office's version as anything more than damage control.
Is there any way, capwise, they can sign all three? They are still competitive, and could still win a Cup if they could keep the core intact.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-17-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Calgary beats Dallas to set up the “Battle of Alberta” with Edmonton which regardless of the future outcome of the playoffs, for most Canadians, this should be as good as any Stanley Cup final! I LOVE it!
I couldn't believe when I read that the last time there was a Battle of Alberta was way back in 1991. There were some great, tough, rough playoff rounds in the 80s. Much like the Battle of Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
What a first round!!
+1 Larry. The first round is always my favorite since there are 4 games every night and exciting to watch the upsets... unless of course your team makes it to the second round and then that gets more intense from a personal perspective.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Default I doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evert[CENTER
on FC;7002908]Is there any way, capwise, they can sign all three? They are still competitive, and could still win a Cup if they could keep the core intact.
I have no idea what the Penguin farm system looks like so don't know if they're looking at a next gen call up. I'd think the team would want to sign them for 2 years and maybe those guys would be willing in order to end their careers in Pittsburgh. Don't think there'll be too many longer term offers once they hit FA unless maybe for Malkin by one of the teams that doesn't make it through this meatgrinder. Can you see him on say Minnesota or Carolina...!
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 05-17-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what the Penguin farm system looks like so don't know if they're looking at a next gen call up. I'd think the team would want to sign them for 2 years and maybe those guys would be willing in order to end their careers in Pittsburgh. Don't think there'll be too many longer term offers once they hit FA unless maybe for Malkin by one of the teams that doesn't make it through this meatgrinder. Can you see him on say Minnesota or Carolina...!
If Bergeron retires, the Bruins might make a bid for Malkin's services as a #1 center option.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-17-2022, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

That brings us right back to where we started a year ago - "NHL Off Season Discussion"
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 05-17-2022, 07:21 PM

Default Panthers/Lightning

10 minutes to go in the third period, Tb up 2-1. This has to be the most lackluster 2nd round opening game I've ever seen. Zero extra effort. No sense of desperation, especially by the Panthers, who are down a goal! Terrible.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:06 PM

Quote:
According to Crosby and Malkin they would both like to play 3 more years. LeTang said 5.

Malkin kept bringing up his agent and that they shared his number for ownership to consider. There were jokes in the press room about how it's not really about the money. OTOH there are also rumblings that he apparently has an option to play in Russia for a significant amount.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Ryan O'Reilly and Jordan Binnington brought the goods for St. Louis in game 1, nearly pulling this one out in spite of another Avalanche barrage of 50+ shots on goal plus at least 5 off the iron.

Encouraged to see 2 of the 3 goals coming from deeper in the depth chart (Girard and Manson). Kuemper's play generally good though the tying goal with 5 minutes to go was a bit leaky.

The defending champs look good though Florida has shown a tendency to save their best game for when they are down.

Crazy that it has been so long since the last Edmonton / Calgary battle!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-18-2022, 05:54 PM

Battle of Alberta! Great for our city, and the province. We've been hit pretty hard over the years, fiscally. Many people losing jobs. Both cities - and all of Alberta - are excited.

I've procured the necessary craft beers, and will settle down w/my kids for, what could be one of the best series yet. If the Flames can stay out of the penalty box and play 5-on-5 hockey (they are the best in the league, 5-on-5), then we should win. The Oilers will hurt us on the PP. Smith is "chaos" between the pipes.

I like our chances...

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-18-2022, 09:08 PM

Well, the Battle of Alberta thus far is looking more like a slaughter. Flames were oh so prepared.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:02 PM

Well, just finished watching the Flames and Oilers. Wow!
Flames won by a field goal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic