The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-13-2022, 11:28 AM

Default James Taylor / Jackson Browne concert

Last night. First crowd I have been in for two years. First concert in a larger venue in about 20 years. I have seen both before, years ago, but this was the first time I was in the presence of Taylor's Olsen.

Yikes! Holy crap. The sound engineer was superb. Fabulous fabulous fabulous. That guitar is amazing.

It was also a great outing with my new Kite 16x42 image stabilized binoculars. I could see the pores on the ebony fretboard. Cool.

Cried six times.The sound track of bygone youth (or at least youthiness).

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 05-13-2022, 06:31 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I saw them two weeks ago in Ottawa. They both put on great performances. Really enjoyed it.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

…I caught their tour last October…..pure magic!
Old 05-14-2022, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I can only imagine how good both performances were!

- Glenn
Old 05-14-2022, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Did Jackson Browne perform his recent tune "It's Just A Little Soon to Say"?
One of his best imo, and one of my favorite tunes of 2021.
(Glenn, that one would suit your style well. Check it out if you haven't heard it. )

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-14-2022, 11:38 AM

And such a terrific band. But then with Jimmy Johnson on bass, and Steve Gadd on drums (!!!!!!, he was amazing), it is pretty hard to NOT be fantastic.

It was so nice to hear live music again, including the wee tiny flaws. You know, those wee tiny bits that let you know, yes, these are human beings doing human things. The bits that in some way make the perfection in all the other bits.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 05-14-2022, 03:44 PM

I don't get out to many shows these days but this is one I'd love to see.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-14-2022, 05:25 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Did Jackson Browne perform his recent tune "It's Just A Little Soon to Say"?
One of his best imo, and one of my favorite tunes of 2021.
(Glenn, that one would suit your style well. Check it out if you haven't heard it. )
Yes, he did, and it was really good and well-received by the audience. Also, it was wonderful to enjoy the songs they joined each other for.

A thing that stood out to me was Jackson’s humility to the extent that a number of times through his opening set, he made mention of James and how great he is which is true, but in a way that was somewhat at the expense of his own greatness and renown. Although James had the typical headliner stage setup, lighting, etc., he clearly respected Jackson as a peer which helped my sense that Jackson didn’t need to seem to consider himself as the opening act. I was there to see them both as iconic peer artists.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Last night. First crowd I have been in for two years. First concert in a larger venue in about 20 years. I have seen both before, years ago, but this was the first time I was in the presence of Taylor's Olsen.

Yikes! Holy crap. The sound engineer was superb. Fabulous fabulous fabulous. That guitar is amazing.

It was also a great outing with my new Kite 16x42 image stabilized binoculars. I could see the pores on the ebony fretboard. Cool.

Cried six times.The sound track of bygone youth (or at least youthiness).
Ha! What a show to see! I get the crying. When I hear a great song with great sound live I cry. Some of my friends say, Pete? Others say they get it. I've been crying at shows since my early twenties! I cry because of the beauty.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:34 AM

Those two, their early work, remind me of a simpler time, with less bickering, we had hope for better things, we were nicer and had better manners, respect for people and their property and just a better time to be starting a life.

I'd probably cry, too.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-16-2022, 05:50 AM

We saw them last year and I agree, just amazing! This is going to sound silly but one of my favorite parts of the show was Jackson Browne playing "Running on Empty" and he screwed up the words. I keep reminding myself of that when I screw up on stage. We're all just human.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Ha! What a show to see! I get the crying. When I hear a great song with great sound live I cry. Some of my friends say, Pete? Others say they get it. I've been crying at shows since my early twenties! I cry because of the beauty.
Exactly! Because of the beauty. This happens to me for anything that has beauty. Music is the biggest one for me, but dance can do it. Some visual art but not much as I can not help (being a visual artist) but look at visual art in a more technical way. Music and dance are more visceral for me. Sometime music can kick up more critical attention when I think about what is happening. "How did he DO that???"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic