The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2018, 07:21 AM

Default Two Bose S1s as a PA system? *follow up*

*see last post for the follow up*

Have some friends who are going to try out using 2 S1 speakers for their PA setup (with a mixer). They will be principally using it for open mics, with different size rooms, but where the sound needs to carry well due to bar noise.

I cautioned them that it might not work (will find out next time they run an OM in 2 weeks). At least they can return to GC within 30 days.
They want something easy to carry/set up for the female member. Even under 30# 10" powered speakers are too heavy for her to get up on speaker stands comfortably.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 06-29-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:52 AM

I am really interested in how well this works. Please keep us up to date as it happens.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Will be interested to hear about it. Sounds like a job for at least a Bose L1 Compact though at 70% of the cost of two S1s.* Sweetwater lists the weight at 29 pounds and I think that's with the whole thing assembled; as you probably know it breaks down into the two extension sticks in a shoulder bag and the mid/high speaker stick sliding down into the sub base. Also Simpler to set up than two S1s too.

Looking forward to their report.

*Kind of. The S1s have the built-in basic EQ and reverb unlike the Compact.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

After getting my QSC k8.2 speaker as a backup to my S1, I realized that I also could just have easily gotten a second S1 and gone that route. I think a second S1 would work fine adding more power. Not quite QSC k power, but still, for my gigs it would be enough.

Back when I was doing research I know I saw at least one video on YouTube where someone was using 2 S1's as a PA.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Will be interested to hear about it. Sounds like a job for at least a Bose L1 Compact though at 70% of the cost of two S1s.* Sweetwater lists the weight at 29 pounds and I think that's with the whole thing assembled; as you probably know it breaks down into the two extension sticks in a shoulder bag and the mid/high speaker stick sliding down into the sub base. Also Simpler to set up than two S1s too.

Looking forward to their report.

*Kind of. The S1s have the built-in basic EQ and reverb unlike the Compact.
I don't think the L1 Compact really projects well enough in this situation - often tables/bodies in front of the performing area (no stage). With a wide variety of guitars being plugged in (and sometimes miked), the L1 is more prone to feedback than speakers on stands set up a little further away.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-15-2018, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I don't think the L1 Compact really projects well enough in this situation - often tables/bodies in front of the performing area (no stage). With a wide variety of guitars being plugged in (and sometimes miked), the L1 is more prone to feedback than speakers on stands set up a little further away.
Man, feedback is just nutso sometimes isn't it. I played at an open mic this week on a nice big elevated stage, behind two conventional, very nice EV PAs and a monitor pointed up at me. Within the first three measures of my second song--not the first, that would be too easy--I was getting feedback to blow the roof off. These were both strumming songs though in a different key. Guitar has a UST, no extra little mic or anything. The (wonderful) sound guy fiddled a bit but what really solved it was me moving like four inches.

I could be wrong because true confession, I've never gigged with my L1 Compact, but the theory of those sticks is throwing mids and highs at or over everyone's heads with the sub frequencies not particularly being blocked by bodies. In that scenario I'd expect the Compact to project better or at least as well as an S1 up on a stand. But I can see more positioning options with the S1s.

Anyway fun for me to talk about, but I defer to real-world experience.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:51 PM

Feedback, stage volume, my hearing limitations...

I have hearing issues. My left ear hears no highs and distorts heavily with any sort of volume. My right ear has less severe loss. I really need to help my stage volume down and monitor mostly from my right side.

My EAE sounds great at the levels I want to hear and gives me plenty of control over my sound. It isn’t enough for my audience though.

Many rooms also aren’t completely square or rectangular. With two speakers you can aim the sound. With one volume, you end up just turning it up.

What I’m interested in is my EAE D6-8 letting me do a nice mix, letting me monitor that mix from my Good hearing side over its local speaker, and then getting that sound out to my audience with a pair of small but full sounding aimed speakers.

Solo and duo performers like myself tend to play small to mid sized rooms at listening and conversation friendly volumes, so I think a pair of S1s on high stands would work most (if not all) the time.

That is where I am coming from in this conversation.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:41 PM

I bought 2 to use as a small portable PA with a mixer. I've only used it in a small room so far but they sounded really nice and as Methos would attest, running a mixer or some sort of pre-amp really gives them more headroom.

I am going to take them out in July to one of my karaoke shows just to test out in a larger room before I hook up my main PA speakers, just to see how well they can fill s decent-sized bar. Maybe I will try a video of that just to share. But inital results with a mixer for me were awesome.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Some retailers are packaging them this way...

Old 06-16-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnbock View Post
I bought 2 to use as a small portable PA with a mixer. I've only used it in a small room so far but they sounded really nice and as Methos would attest, running a mixer or some sort of pre-amp really gives them more headroom.

I am going to take them out in July to one of my karaoke shows just to test out in a larger room before I hook up my main PA speakers, just to see how well they can fill s decent-sized bar. Maybe I will try a video of that just to share. But inital results with a mixer for me were awesome.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:47 PM

like Lkingston i have a sunburst gear m6br8.
same company as eae. I used it in conjunction
with a yorkville nc10x which is 300 watts or so in a small
room 20 folks or so. It worked great. Then last week
i played there again and just used a board and
the m6br8. 30 watts. it worked great and
i will probably use it alone in that room again.
But not in a loud bar over 30 folks.
The s1 i would imagine is similar. Just remember
although with two you may get better dispersion
or coverage of a room. Two are not any louder
than one.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Two are not any louder than one.
Obviously (physics, physics!) not true with POWERED speakers.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-18-2018, 11:46 AM

How does the s1 sound compared to the k8?
I

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 06-18-2018, 01:47 PM

I could be tempted if two were louder than my L1M2 and had the bass of even one sub. But that's not happening.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I could be tempted if two were louder than my L1M2 and had the bass of even one sub. But that's not happening.
If you're using backing tracks (or have a bass plugged in) of course you need a sub and the S1s will not do by themselves (nor will a QSC k8).

My friends are replacing a couple of 10" JBLs with one having something blown in it, buzzes like mad on some notes, I suspect a torn speaker cone, because they've more than once had an uncontrolled full volume feedback or POP from the system.
For myself, I just ordered a couple of last-generation Alto TX 10" speakers from GC for $99 each. Used a set of these (owned by someone else) when I hosted an open mic, and they had plenty of volume to cover a large outside deck, so will work for any places I may need them.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification