The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Bose l1Compact plus Yamaha MG06 mixer questions

I just pulled the trigger on this Bose. I also got the Yamaha Mixer because it has reverb, which I understand the Bose L1C does not. I am excited for this!

(My Loudbox Artist is now for sale on the forum fyi)

But I do have a few quick questions...

I would love to have control over the sound from my Mic Stand - to adjust level for the guitar and vocal. If my guitar and vocals go into the Yamaha MG06 mixer, then which channel does the mixer go into on the Bose? Or does it go into an Aux channel on the Bose?

For those of you who use a mixer and not just the Bose L1 - how do you configure your setup? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
Sal
Old 06-10-2018, 01:35 PM

When using my A&H Zed10fx mixer.
Output (mono) to the L1C - Line input (CH 2) switch to line level (No Tonematch).

Still doesn't solve the adjusting volume from Mic Stand.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:44 PM

Hi Sal,
you plug vocals into channel 1 and the guitar into channel 2 (or vice versa).
Then you connect the left (or right) out from the Yamaha to the TRS jack of the L1c. It doesn't matter which one you take. There is no pan pot on the Yamaha.
If doing so you should take a TRS cable for a balanced connection.

The mono/stereo knob shall be in the mono position.

You can also connect the left and right outputs from the mixer to the cinch inputs of the Bose. Both sides will be mixed together within the Bose. It would be an unbalanced connection that is more prone to noise but it will be probably no problem.

!!! You have to consider that you cannot use the Tonematch setting of the Bose with both solutions!!!

If you want this I see another way:
Put the mono stereo knob (between channel 1 and 2) to the stereo position.
Then the left out of the mixer should carry the vocals and should be connected to one of the cinch inputs of the Bose (left or right).
The right out of the mixer should carry the guitar signal and should be connected to the TRS input jeck of the Bose. Then you can select the tonematch on the Bose just for the guitar and the vocals will not be effected from it.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I would love to have control over the sound from my Mic Stand - to adjust level for the guitar and vocal. If my guitar and vocals go into the Yamaha MG06 mixer, then which channel does the mixer go into on the Bose? Or does it go into an Aux channel on the Bose?
1/4 inch jack out of your mixer (left or right channel) into the 1/4 inch input jack on the Bose. This should be a mono TRS (tip ring sleeve) jack, especially for longer runs, though a TS will often do. There's a Tonematch switch on the Bose for that input you will not turn on, leaving all EQ adjustments to your mixer.

That's a handy mixer; I got its bigger cousin, the MG10XU. A little overkill for most of my needs, but I really wanted the mids EQ adjustment that the MG06X doesn't have.

As you probably know since you bought that unit and you reference wanting to have the mixer within reach while performing, one of the neat things about that Yamaha lineup is the mic-stand attachment that screws into the bottom of it. A main reason I got it.

I think you'll be very happy with this setup.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:17 PM

Congrats! I have the same rig and it works great. As for hookups, I actually use a dual TS (left and right mono 1/4") to dual phono (left and right rca) cable and go into the Bose in the line input with the phono plugs. I set my levels so that the volume on the Bose channel 2 is at 12 o'clock and the MG06X master out is at the notched area around the 3 o'clock position with my guitar and vocal mic levels at 12 o'clock. Finally, I prefer short delay over reverb.

Good luck with it.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Congrats! I have the same rig and it works great. As for hookups, I actually use a dual TS (left and right mono 1/4") to dual phono (left and right rca) cable and go into the Bose in the line input with the phono plugs. I set my levels so that the volume on the Bose channel 2 is at 12 o'clock and the MG06X master out is at the notched area around the 3 o'clock position with my guitar and vocal mic levels at 12 o'clock. Finally, I prefer short delay over reverb.

Good luck with it.
Interesting!

Is there an advantage doing it that way that I'm overlooking, or did you just use what you had on hand and found it worked great so why mess with success?
Old 06-10-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Interesting!

Is there an advantage doing it that way that I'm overlooking, or did you just use what you had on hand and found it worked great so why mess with success?
In my gig bag, I carry that dual TS to dual phono cable when I use my Yamaha MG8cx mixer since it only has 1/4" outs. So I tried it that way once out of necessity and it worked well. Very quiet connection. No hissing or anything. I have tried an XLR to XLR cable into the mic channel 1 and it works fine too, but I just feel weird not using both outputs (left and right). Maybe it's an OCD thing. Or maybe the effects work better when using the stereo setup.

But I do prefer the dual TS to dual phono.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I do basically the same thing as YamahaGuy except I use a Behringer mixer. Depending upon where we are, we sometimes use a second L1C.

Recently we were either going to upgrade to a full sized L1 or go with a second L1C, and we opted for door number two. This gives us much more latitude with the sometimes quirky stage setups we face with a throw-n-go set up time.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
In my gig bag, I carry that dual TS to dual phono cable when I use my Yamaha MG8cx mixer since it only has 1/4" outs. So I tried it that way once out of necessity and it worked well. Very quiet connection. No hissing or anything. I have tried an XLR to XLR cable into the mic channel 1 and it works fine too, but I just feel weird not using both outputs (left and right). Maybe it's an OCD thing. Or maybe the effects work better when using the stereo setup.

But I do prefer the dual TS to dual phono.
If it works it works, that's very helpful, thanks YamahaGuy.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
1/4 inch jack out of your mixer (left or right channel) into the 1/4 inch input jack on the Bose. This should be a mono TRS (tip ring sleeve) jack, especially for longer runs, though a TS will often do. .

This.

I use a 4 XLR (no P/U used or needed for my work) Yamaha mixer with my Bose virtually all the time. Works well for me.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for all the great responses. I will report back after I try a few things...

Thanks
Old 06-11-2018, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Thank you for all the great responses. I will report back after I try a few things...

Thanks
We want a FULL report, with video, audio, pictures, and comments.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-11-2018, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
We want a FULL report, with video, audio, pictures, and comments.

Murph! How are you man??

I will. What should be nice is how I can put the Yammie mixer on a mic stand at my fingertips while I perform...
Old 06-11-2018, 09:09 AM

When I got my Bose L1C I went to the Bose forum and asked about connecting a mixer. Their reply was to pan all channels either left or right and line out to channel 2 on the L1C with the Tonematch switch to "line". They also recommended using the RCA cable mentioned earlier.

BTW, A Yamaha BMS10A mic stand adaptor should mount your mixer.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 06-13-2018, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
1/4 inch jack out of your mixer (left or right channel) into the 1/4 inch input jack on the Bose. This should be a mono TRS (tip ring sleeve) jack, especially for longer runs, though a TS will often do. There's a Tonematch switch on the Bose for that input you will not turn on, leaving all EQ adjustments to your mixer.

That's a handy mixer; I got its bigger cousin, the MG10XU. A little overkill for most of my needs, but I really wanted the mids EQ adjustment that the MG06X doesn't have.

As you probably know since you bought that unit and you reference wanting to have the mixer within reach while performing, one of the neat things about that Yamaha lineup is the mic-stand attachment that screws into the bottom of it. A main reason I got it.

I think you'll be very happy with this setup.
Just arrived today... I did as you say. There is a stereo level knob that has to be turned up to control the volume. Sound about right? That sets the volume?

I’ll play with this more this weekend. If any of you all have photos of the setup, with settings, I am so indebted! This is what I am looking at:

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 06-14-2018 at 03:58 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification