The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2018, 06:13 PM

Default Martin GPRS1

Just purchased a Martin GPRS1 from GC last weekend. The acoustic room was crowded and I couldn’t hear well, I really liked the size and look of the guitar. I purchased with the return policy in mind.

When I got home and started to play, I noticed the low E and A strings were muffled and lifeless. I figured well, just needs strings. I decided to plug this in and see what the electronics sounded like. Same thing. I tapped on the saddle with my pic on the high E and got a standard click like normal. But when I did this on the low E side, nothing. I thought maybe some sawdust or uneven saddle could be the culprit and I could probably fix it. But, heck it’s a new guitar and shouldn’t be doing this. So I returned it.

When I got to GC, I tried one hanging on the wall and found a similar issue. But more on the high E side. I own several Martins and I have never seen this. I know these are made on Mexico, but I also have a Mexican made Martin and never had this experience. I had never played a 100% mahogany guitar and thought maybe I was expecting more punch and the lifeless was just a mellow sounding guitar. Just to see before I got my money and walked out, I asked for a new guitar out of the box.

When I started to play this one, the sound was perfect. Well balanced and loud. When I plugged in to the closest amp I was surprised at the sound. This was a great sounding guitar. I closed the case and took this one home.

When I got home, I plugged into my Play Acoustic which is connected to my Bose S1 Pro and wow. This sounded great. I played for 3-4 hours and it got better with a few adjustments.

I never figured this as my main guitar. Just wanted to try something with a different voice. I am glad I did’t give up on it and tried more than one. The grand performance size is perfect for me.

This made me appreciate the value of supporting my local store. I would have hated to form my opinion of this guitar or Martin based on the first one I played - had I just ordered this online. However I do feel Martin needs some feedback on the setup of this instrument. Little more QC would go a long way.

Regardless, I am very happy with this purchase and really love this guitar. The smell when I open the case is fantastic. And I am surprised this low end Fishman Sonitone sounds as good as it does. As well, I didn’t expect a case with this guitar. Same as my more expensive ones. Very good value and I am surprised I don’t find more on the web about this.

(Probably posted this thread in the wrong forum)
Old 03-30-2018, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

I'm really glad you stuck with it and found a GPRS1 that works properly. This is my gig guitar, and I've played out with it a lot now, and I *love* it.

I don't love the pickup--the Fishman Sonicore--and just before reading your post was mulling over an LR Baggs M80.

But getting back to the guitar, I think it's a remarkable value for the money. I only played probably two at GC before buying mine a year ago so I don't know if there is a wider QC issue with them. It also goes to show that no matter what the guitar, you gotta play *that* guitar before finding out if you like *that* guitar.

Congrats and enjoy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification