The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-01-2018, 10:05 AM

The D6-8 mixer is simply wonderful. I would say it’s better than my Bose T1. I wouldn’t be afraid of it because it’s digital. I think that all but the simplest mixers are digital these days.

If Bose was to build one of their T4S mixers into an S1, you would have a product that would directly compete with the EAE D6-8.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
For me it had to be the D6-8 because I need the channels. One D6-8 can handle two singers plus a guitar, or two singing guitar players. The extra stereo input could be a keyboard or a Play Acoustic (or VE 8). Also, the D6-8 has extra features like high pass filters, notch filters, EQ with sweepable mids, and multiple DSP effects that aren’t on the other EAE models.

45 people might be pushing it as far as output levels go on any 40 watt system. That’s why I also bought the Bose S1 for extra coverage. The D6-8 mixer is stereo and designed to be used with another EAE system. The specs between the d6-8 and the S1 are close enough that they work well as an 80 watt total stereo pair.
appreciate the color on your experience and preference. IF i'm someone who will not be taking advantage of multiple channels, and like to keep things simple (not tweak eqs if don't have to), and dispersion is a main criteria, It seems the BOSE would be my choice AS LONG AS the sound quality is right there with the EAE. are you equally as happy with the tone quality of bose S1 vs the D6-8?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I must have missed it but what is the price of the EAE D6-8? Looking at specs alone, if it's almost the same price as the new Bose S1 then it seems to me it's a no-brainer to get the EAE D6-8.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-01-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I must have missed it but what is the price of the EAE D6-8? Looking at specs alone, if it's almost the same price as the new Bose S1 then it seems to me it's a no-brainer to get the EAE D6-8.
Bose may have the edge on dispersion. Bose DOES have the edge on multiple positioning arrangements (wedge, table top, floor, pole)

Bose *may* have edge on simplicity depending on your perspective - i stopped nerding out on electric guitars a while back because of constant tweaking and less playing.

Depending on the contrast of sound quality, I would prefer those things mentioned in the bose...
Old 02-01-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Just looked at their price sheet. MSRP is 1749. That’s a lot of S1’s. Can’t find an American supplier. Any help?
Old 02-01-2018, 12:15 PM

Default Comparison thread Bose S1 vs EAE D6-8

No, I paid $850 direct from Elite Acoustics, and they threw in the bag for free. I talked to the guy who moderates their Facebook page when I couldn’t find it listed for sale anywhere.

I’m just playing around with the S1 now using its inputs rather than as a D6-8 expander. It’s pleasant but nowhere near as good as the D6-8 or how it sounds as a D6-8 second cabinet.

Here’s how to look at the D6-8. It’s recording studio quality sound with multiple channels which can get as loud as the Bose S1 Pro. For larger gigs you can run it with a second cabinet or feed it’s stereo (or mono) mix to a house PA.

Last edited by lkingston; 02-01-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:30 PM

You can also feed two monitor mixes. The way it does this is with aux sends with pan that can be sent to a stereo pair of 1/4” TRS balanced outputs. These can be set either pre or post fader from the main volume controls. I could send the singer I work with her own monitor mix if she wanted! I could work with two singers and give them both separate monitor mixes even!
Old 02-01-2018, 05:44 PM

That's great, lkingston. I'm gonna check that D6-8 right now!
Thank you
Old 02-01-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
James May chimed in this would work:

http://www.pedaltrain.com/volto/

$100
The Pedaltrain Volto WILL work but be aware that the Tonedexter will EAT the battery quickly (an hour or less).
I have used Volto's for years with my old pedalboard setup (Aura Spectrum, Boss tuner, Hardwire Reverb, and Hardwire Delay) and it (Volto) worked fine. With the TD, I use a Cioks DC10 power supply as the TD has VERY high power needs and Volto didn't work for my needs.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 02-01-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
That's great, lkingston. I'm gonna check that D6-8 right now!

Thank you

In the other thread about the D6-8, it was mentioned that there is a new fifty watt stereo amp and speaker version that was announced at Namm, but is backordered until April. It’s called the A6-55. The mixer looks the same. You might want to wait for that one.

Stereo doesn’t do much for me because I have one bad ear and 10 Watts more is negligible, so I won’t be trading up, but since you haven’t bought one yet it might be worth the wait to get the slightly more powerful stereo model, especially since overall power is this amp’s greatest weakness.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:27 PM

Thanks for clearing up the pricing. Looks like a pretty great deal for everything it’s capable of. If it wasn’t for this thread, I wouldn’t have even considered it.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
No, I paid $850 direct from Elite Acoustics, and they threw in the bag for free. I talked to the guy who moderates their Facebook page when I couldn’t find it listed for sale anywhere.

I’m just playing around with the S1 now using its inputs rather than as a D6-8 expander. It’s pleasant but nowhere near as good as the D6-8 or how it sounds as a D6-8 second cabinet.

Here’s how to look at the D6-8. It’s recording studio quality sound with multiple channels which can get as loud as the Bose S1 Pro. For larger gigs you can run it with a second cabinet or feed it’s stereo (or mono) mix to a house PA.
This is the link I found that led me to believe it was a higher price. Maybe Canadian dollars?http://www.eadox.com/EAwebPubDocs/PL...g17_retail.pdf
Glad to see you got it for the price you did.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:11 AM

perhaps an m2-6 is a better fit for a small light EAE alternative to the BOSE?
Old 02-02-2018, 02:31 PM

I just heard back from EAE. The new A655 model is all analog and does not have all the cool digital mixer features of the D6-8. It also is bigger and doesn’t have a speaker pole mount. I’m glad I got the D6-8 after all!

I was just playing with it again. It is absolutely the most beautiful sound I have ever heard in a portable amp, both on the guitar and on vocals.

The amp does go into trickle charge mode after it’s fully charged. Fully charging the battery takes a whopping 72 hours!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:56 PM

IKingston, just from eyeballing it, that battery is a standard 12v 7.2-8.4ah size and should be quick chargeable via a standard car battery charger. With a 25 amp charger, you could charge it in just under an hour you would have to pull it from the chassis first though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification