The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2015, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

The chattanooga area of TN!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:24 PM

In that price range, there are a lot of great options--both used and new. Might be worth doing some comparison shopping before committing to the 814.

Only a three and a half hour drive to Asheville.....home of Dream Guitars.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-29-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
As much as I like Taylors and the 814ce in particular, what 6L6 says is true.
As a owner of both I could not disagree more.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 PM

If you can a/b with a 618e or a 718e Fall Ltd, you might find either of them to your liking as well.
I did find a very nice, though scarred 814ce, that was stellar a while back.
If I'd had your budget, I'd have bought it.
I've no experience with the ES2 though.
I love the ES 1v3 in my 150e.
It is very loud though. I had to turn off the body sensor to get a useable tone with our equipment.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

I have a friend with the 814ce tobacco burst just like the one posted earlier and it is a great guitar. I also like the Grand Symphony body style and would recommend that you check out the 816ce as well.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:40 PM

For that much $, I'd strongly advise against an 814. You can easily get into a higher echelon of handbuilt guitars for the price of a robot made 814...and get sophisticated amplified tone to boot. I'd strongly suggest talking to Shoreline Guitars.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
If I were in your shoes, I would find a used Taylor GA8 and install a K&K mini. I realize that the bracing will differ a little, but it's worth a shot.

You can buy a used GA8 (same tonewoods as a 814ce but without the inlay, fancy binding, cutaway, and questionable electronics) for about $1500 on the used market, and install a K&K mini (these run about $100 give or take), and you'll have an EXCELLENT strummer with an absolute solid pickup system for well under $2k (you may need to buy a preamp or at least use an active direct box).

Or, you can spend the extra $1500 and get a cutaway, some inlay, white maple binding (which looks like plastic to me from a few feet away), and the ES2 pickups which have questionable reviews.

Heck, if I had a $3500 budget for a guitar, and if I was a worship leader I'd buy a used GA8 AND a used GC5 or GC7 (for fingerpicking songs or learning songs while sitting on the couch), put K&K minis in both, and buy a couple of active direct boxes. You would be set!
I like this idea.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:23 AM

Your just a couple of hours drive from Nashville and Atlanta. I would take a trip and try out some guitars. There are a few great guitar shops in both cities with knowledgeable staff who can help you find the guitar that's right for you.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliew08 View Post
Hey guys, new member here, first post

I'm seriously considering an 814ce. I am really digging the sounds of the 2014 models I've played. I am a worship leader, playing quite a bit throughout the week, at church, practice, as well as other events in the community.

I'm thinking the 814ce will be the best guitar for me, but I was looking for some opinions. I currently run either a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe (ovangkol b&s) or a Martin 000-MMV with a LR Baggs Lyric through a Venue DI. The Gibson has been my tried and true but sometimes over powering I feel in a band setting. The Martin has fantastic tone and clarity, but the battery life of the Lyric is really troublesome. I try to unplug it when I'm done with a set, but sometimes things just don't work out that way. I usually have to change out the battery a couple times before a string change.

So my question is, in this price range and my use is the 814ce the one? What other options are there for me to consider? I owned a 114ce at one point and loved the playability of it, but the quality of tone wasn't what I was looking for. I don't love the ES2, but I feel with the Venue I can dial it in to my tastes. Probably purchasing through Sweetwater unless I can find one I like used, pretty cool I can see each one they have for sale in detail. Thanks in advanced!
Get the 812ce it's more comfortable than the 14 , do you need the CE?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:28 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I have an '02 814c that I ordered new back then without electronics. This was before the ES and I didn't want barn door electronics. Even if the ES was available, I wouldn't have wanted it. I prefer no holes and having the option of trying various electronics should I choose. When I got my guitar, immediately I installed a PUTW #27 pickup and PowerPlug. I had it removed a few months ago and had an L.R. Baggs Anthem system installed. I think it's a good idea to not be locked into one system, especially in consideration that pickup systems are getting better all the time.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Hey.

Used to be a Taylor fan. Not so much anymore. But, I'm just like you..the "new" 814 is a good guitar...and the "new" pick up system is good. Especially if you just wanna plug and play. So I say go for it. Now, I do think there are some great "used" guitars out there for what a new 814 goes of...but, the new 814 is a good one!!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Incidentally, I was remiss in not saying this before, but....

Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I'm seriously considering an 814ce. I am really digging the sounds of the 2014 models I've played. I am a worship leader, playing quite a bit throughout the week, at church, practice, as well as other events in the community.

I'm thinking the 814ce will be the best guitar for me, but I was looking for some opinions. I currently run either a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe (ovangkol b&s) or a Martin 000-MMV with a LR Baggs Lyric through a Venue DI. The Gibson has been my tried and true but sometimes over powering I feel in a band setting. The Martin has fantastic tone and clarity, but the battery life of the Lyric is really troublesome. I try to unplug it when I'm done with a set, but sometimes things just don't work out that way. I usually have to change out the battery a couple times before a string change.

So my question is, in this price range and my use is the 814ce the one? What other options are there for me to consider? I owned a 114ce at one point and loved the playability of it, but the quality of tone wasn't what I was looking for. I don't love the ES2, but I feel with the Venue I can dial it in to my tastes. Probably purchasing through Sweetwater unless I can find one I like used, pretty cool I can see each one they have for sale in detail. Thanks in advanced!
I can't talk you out of it. I bought one Tuesday with Brazilian rosewood. It is without doubt the easiest guitar I have ever played. Sounds balanced and fabulous. The EIR 814 are fantastic too. And, I quite like the 714ce, or the 414ce as alternatives, if you can find a good price. Ovangkol has a great tone of its own.

However, you can't beat the 814CE. For reference, I traded my custom shop Martin in for it. (Sacrilege for some here, pun intended.) I liked it that much. IFor my sized hands, it has the perfect neck for fingerstyle and other kinds of folk music, Celtic music (or worship music) that I play.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalowdwn1 View Post
For that much $, I'd strongly advise against an 814. You can easily get into a higher echelon of handbuilt guitars for the price of a robot made 814...and get sophisticated amplified tone to boot. I'd strongly suggest talking to Shoreline Guitars.
I believe Taylor's business model is to be able to produce guitars that rival their hand built counterparts in terms of performance and quality of construction and finish and they are very successful at it. A strong recommendation against the 814 as suggested is making an implication (IMO) that anyone who buys one has made a flawed decision. I don't believe a great divide exists as suggested but again, buy what makes you and your ears happy. I'd love to one day try a Collings, Lowden, Huss and Dalton, and other great hand-built guitars but my local economy does not support my local music stores to have those high end guitars in their inventory. If you are going to spend that kind of money, you want to play it before you buy it if possible.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-30-2015, 10:46 AM

The 814ce, to those who like it, is as good as any guitar at any price point, IMO - the only differences come in the form of "flavorings" that make different alternatives appeal to different tastes/needs.

I shopped for 2 years before I bought mine, tried guitars made by just about everybody and at as much as twice the price point (and I already owned a D28), and there wasn't a guitar I liked better. 3 years later, I haven't heard or seen a guitar I would trade it for anywhere - incredibly versatile, great sounding guitar. There are plenty of other great guitars out there, but if you like the sound of the 814ce, you CAN'T go wrong with it.
2006 Martin D28
1992 Yamaha LL35
1976 Gibson Les Paul
1966 Magnatone Tornado

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
814ce, gibson, lr baggs, martin, taylor