The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Default Fingerstyle "Bohemian Rhapsody"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxR7dVPKnD4&feature=fvw

This is the best video I have seen in a long time. I've watched it three times in a row now.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:25 PM
The Foreigner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu62tYmYPvk

Seems like he made a couple of mistakes, though (talking about Cruz, not the guy). I wonder how this arrangement would sound on steel-sting.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 07-12-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu62tYmYPvk

Seems like he made a couple of mistakes, though (talking about Cruz, not the guy). I wonder how this arrangement would sound on steel-sting.
I've been listening to Edgar Cruz's offerings for about 15 years (half your age?). Interesting that you found some mistakes in a public performance and need to point them out.

Maybe you'll be more forgiving when you find that playing in front of an audience and every note is recorded for history, that it always doesn't come out at it's best.

Step outside your abbreviated bedroom recordings of tunes and perform them in public, a large public audience, post those recordings, full versions, beginning to end, and then stand on your soapbox and proclaim your skill.

Sorry. You just sounded soooo young and all knowing. Obnoxious, is really the word.

Last edited by David Hilyard; 07-12-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 PM

Well, I was very impressed........that ain't easy to do.......
Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
I've been listening to Edgar Cruz's offerings for about 15 years (half your age?). Interesting that you found some mistakes in a public performance and need to point them out.
I'm not sure why you felt the need to attack me.

I posted Edgar's version not to point out his mistakes but to show how it should be played. I was just a little surprised that he made a couple of mistakes and mentioned it in passing. I guess I'm just used to hearing near-immaculate public performances from my favourite guitarists. For the record, I wouldn't have posted Edgar's version if I didn't think it was worthy of being heard.

Quote:
Maybe you'll be more forgiving when you find that playing in front of an audience and every note is recorded for history, that it always doesn't come out at it's best.

Step outside your abbreviated bedroom recordings of tunes and perform them in public, a large public audience, post those recordings, full versions, beginning to end, and then stand on your soapbox and proclaim your skill
I have given speeches in front of very large public audiences (about a thousand or more, with video cameras), so yes, I know exactly how hard it is to speak, and how much harder it must be to perform artistically.

I never proclaimed to be as good as Edgar or [insert any other professional guitarist] or even you for that matter. Does that make me unqualified to point out his mistakes (and I am just pointing out the fact, not hitting on his performance)? Does every tennis commentator need to be as good as Roger Federer before they can talk about how he should have played a point?

The reason I have not posted any "full versions, beginning to end" is because I know fully well how hard it is to get a recording I am proud of in front of a camera and mic. But, I am an engineer, not a professional musician, so I see no shame in my skill being lacking to theirs, especially in a live setting. If I had the luxury to practice 10 hours a day (and I would *love* for that to be the case), it would be a different story.

I am no savant, but having developed in an isolated bubble with no teachers or even friends who play guitar, I think I can be proud of what I have been able to learn on my own, regardless of whether I am (or am not) better than you or anyone else on the forum.

Quote:
Sorry. You just sounded soooo young and all knowing. Obnoxious, is really the word.
I have a lot of respect for your contributions to the forum and really don't want to get into a fight with you (which I would probably lose anyway because of our difference in language skills). But I have to point out that in this case, I really think you overreacted to my post and should have clarified some matters before saying what you did.

EDIT: And I really don't see why you need to keep referring to my age (or lack thereof) and how it compares to yours and how long you've been playing/listening. I know the importance of experience, but experience is not everything and points/facts/opinions should be weighed based on their own merit.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 07-13-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:53 AM

mmmaak,

An over-reaction on my part. Sorry.

I do see a difference in age here, whether obvious or not. Your responses to subjects in general, are different than mine. We are, I'd guess, many years apart. It's apparent to me, if not to you. I've got kids who are 40 , 38, 19, and 14. You fit in there somewhere. I've been trying to play guitar since 1962. I've been doing my day job since, 1966. I'm pretty good at it. I'll retire from it. And I won't ever be playing guitar for my lively-hood.

Cheers,

David

Last edited by David Hilyard; 07-13-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:12 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
An over-reaction on my part. Sorry.
A simple misunderstanding, David. I (we) should not dwell on it

Quote:
I do see a difference in age here, whether obvious or not. Your responses to subjects in general, are different than mine. We are, I'd guess, many years apart. It's apparent to me, if not to you.
So do I, that cannot be denied. But other than age (which surely contributes to our differences in opinion), I have to face boundaries of distance, language, differences in culture and general isolation from the developed world, into which the internet is my looking glass. I'll be the first to admit I have a lot to learn, but don't we all? The fact that I am (quite possibly) the only Malaysian who participates regularly here out of a population of 25 million will tell you a little about where I'm coming from

Quote:
And I won't ever be playing guitar for my lively-hood.
Let's hope we'll never have to! I think depending on something for sustenance *can* take some amount of joy out of it (apologies to pros and luthiers on this forum, whom I'm sure love what they do).

By the way, since we are on the topic of classical guitarists, what was that "genius" you once linked to? I forgot to bookmark his YouTube video and now I can't seem to find it anymore.
Transcriptions

Last edited by mmmaak; 07-13-2009 at 06:12 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell