The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-27-2018, 03:58 PM

TC Play Acoustic has +48V phantom power (on/off via Setup menu)
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-28-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
TC Play Acoustic has +48V phantom power (on/off via Setup menu)
Huh? Never heard of a software Phantom Power switch but I'll sure check it out! Thanks!
Old 05-28-2018, 03:52 PM

Well I gave it the old college try ... and I like the theory better than the reality. My Edwina really seems to crave a lot of juice -- I even sent it back to Ear Trumpet Labs to make sure it's up to spec, which it is -- which means I really have to push it and that invites feedback.

Meanwhile the concept of using the TC Play Acoustic with dual source guitar -- those being the guitar plugged into the unit and the Edwina picking it up along with the vocals -- is a nice thought worthy of further exploration, as in with an assistant to move things around while I perform or vice versa.

A loop I recorded sounded really terrible, as if I was 30 feet away from the mic when I was 18 inches away. And I really had to get close to Edwina for her to pick up the vocals, which defeats the point. I could barely hear any vocal effects.

If anyone has any tips on something big I may be missing I'm all ears!

...upon further reflection: if I remember correctly there's phantom power, and there's phantom power as in robust phantom power. Like ohms, there's some term and figures to measure what the phantom power is running at ... and some of the lower figures like I'm assuming the TCPA has might not cut it.

Last edited by troggg; 05-28-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:43 PM

I have a rosewood Martin OM with a K&K mini in it. I have an Edwina, a TC Play Acoustic and a Tonedexter. The signal goes from the guitar (K&K) into the Tondexter and out of the Tonedexter into the guitar input on the TC Play Acoustic.

The Edwina goes into the mike input of Play Acoustic. Guitar and voice go separately out of the Play Acoustic into a small Mackie mixer and then from the left xlr output of the mixer into the aux-in of a Fishman SA220. The gain is staged the best I can.

So I am singing about six to ten inches from the Edwina. I don't have any problem with the strength of the signal or feedback. But I am not trying to use the Edwina to mike both the voice and the guitar. I think if I did, I would probably have feedback issues with the Fishman.

Have you checked the gain settings at each stage? I have used the Edwina as a group mike too with two other players, but there was no monitor and the house PA was some distance away.

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-28-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I have a rosewood Martin OM with a K&K mini in it. I have an Edwina, a TC Play Acoustic and a Tonedexter. The signal goes from the guitar (K&K) into the Tondexter and out of the Tonedexter into the guitar input on the TC Play Acoustic.

The Edwina goes into the mike input of Play Acoustic. Guitar and voice go separately out of the Play Acoustic into a small Mackie mixer and then from the left xlr output of the mixer into the aux-in of a Fishman SA220. The gain is staged the best I can.

So I am singing about six to ten inches from the Edwina. I don't have any problem with the strength of the signal or feedback. But I am not trying to use the Edwina to mike both the voice and the guitar. I think if I did, I would probably have feedback issues with the Fishman.

Have you checked the gain settings at each stage? I have used the Edwina as a group mike too with two other players, but there was no monitor and the house PA was some distance away.
My theory was that Edwina would act like a Tonedexter if I used it on live guitar, as in it would give me exactly my guitar tone ... maybe augmented with the Play Acoustic effects simulataneously. Yeah, you've got a few more pieces in your chain and I'm supposing it took some trial and error to get things to your liking. For my simpler setup, the Sennheiser e935 just doesn't want to feedback at all, and I can hear the Play Acoustic goodness through it. I mentioned in another thread that I bought Edwina for live, which hasn't quite worked out, but I use her to record so I got my money's worth anyhow
Old 05-28-2018, 09:51 PM

Yes it does take a lot of trail and error, fumbling and tweak with this stuff, no doubt about it. I think the Edwinas sound great, but its a different ball game from the old Shure 58's...

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-29-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Yes it does take a lot of trail and error, fumbling and tweak with this stuff, no doubt about it. I think the Edwinas sound great, but its a different ball game from the old Shure 58's...
Bottom line is Edwina is lovable but she needs a "sound man" who's at least intermediate if not advanced to sort things out which eliminates me for the moment as I still rate myself a beginner in the live sound department. I'm lucky that a K&K Pure Mini pairs well with my Collings-- which is a lot of the battle -- but there's definitely room for improvement.

I still maintain connection with the audience is more important than any of this gear ... as long as your guitar and vocal tone sounds "pretty darned good" ... you don't have to sound perfect for people to enjoy you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification