The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-02-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertomlinson View Post
I did find this. It’s almost the same size I want but I want it to continue up my arm. It looks pretty good.

Yes, that looks neat. The thick/thins are not quite there in the clef, the half-notes, the phrase marks, or the 8th note flags... but it's clear and looks good overall as an image.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Here's a version I came across in cyber land, showing the measure in question (taken from the intro). The notation is not in "classical" form, as noted earlier by Chris.

I'm sure there are many notation variations out there, apart from what was discussed here.
This is a really unusual notation with all the disconnected slur marks that really do nothing either visually or musically.

Quote:
Change of plans. It looks like I won’t be getting the tattoo until December. I’ve been looking at music tattoos and most artists draw the lines very thick. As you can imagine, the thicker the line, the more forgiving they are if you don’t have a perfectly steady hand.

“Fine line” tattoos are growing in popularity. They use a smaller needle and require more skill so not all artists will do them...but if the calligraphy is going to be properly drawn, more care will have to be taken than I think the average tattoo artist is willing to give it.
If you're set on getting a tat, then you had better vet the artist fully before you get permanently marked. Also, as I look at the examples you've posted as well as tats I've seen in person, single system tats can tend to look static. A girl who sits down the row from me has a music tat on her calf. Even from only 10 feet away it looks like a blotch rather than anything that resembles music. The lack of shape makes it awful looking, even from a distance.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
This is a really unusual notation with all the disconnected slur marks that really do nothing either visually or musically.
I think they are meant to indicate that the played notes should ring out. That's what I interpreted anyway.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 11-02-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
I think they are meant to indicate that the played notes should ring out. That's what I interpreted anyway.
Agreed. Typical overkill from a transcriber who understands notes and rhythms on the staff; but is not familiar with many other basic conventions of reading and writing music.

In an arpeggiated or broken-chord pattern like this, it's presumed that the notes will ring. It doesn't need to be notated. Same thing applies to piano music. A broken chord is still treated as a chord: it can ring until the next chord change, unless otherwise directed.

The "tie to nowhere" is more commonly seen in percussion music -- to tell the player to let the gong (or whatever) ring indefinitely. But putting it on every note in a simple picking pattern like this is unnecessary.

Last edited by Guitar Slim II; 11-02-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Slim II View Post
Agreed. Typical overkill from a transcriber who understands notes and rhythms on the staff; but is not familiar with many other basic conventions of reading and writing music.

In an arpeggiated or broken-chord pattern like this, it's presumed that the notes will ring. It doesn't need to be notated. Same thing applies to piano music. A broken chord is still treated as a chord: it can ring until the next chord change, unless otherwise directed.

The "tie to nowhere" is more commonly seen in percussion music -- to tell the player to let the gong (or whatever) ring indefinitely. But putting it on every note in a simple picking pattern like this is unnecessary.

YES.

At most the score could have "let ring..." notated above the arpeggio section, but the ties to nowhere are cumbersome & slow the reader down.

As has been said, knowing how to read & knowing best practices for professional notation are 2 different things. The overarching directive in notation is to make the music as readable as possible and the intent as clear as can be while using the least amount of ink on the page. IOW only put what needs to be there. Extra symbols require extra processing time & make reading the music more of a chore. Redundancy is not a good thing in this case.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 11-30-2017, 06:16 PM

So, if anyone's still watching this, I'm getting the tattoo Sunday. Here's the exact image I'll be using. JonPR did most of the heavy lifting, drawing it. I made a few modifications to it and I can't see anything left that needs to be changed. Any objections?

Old 11-30-2017, 07:41 PM

Good luck!

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 11-30-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
So, if anyone's still watching this, I'm getting the tattoo Sunday. Here's the exact image I'll be using. JonPR did most of the heavy lifting, drawing it. I made a few modifications to it and I can't see anything left that needs to be changed. Any objections?
Nah, FWIW, I think it's funnier than heck that you are seeking so much affirmation before you even get the tattoo.

Enjoy...

George
Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Slim II View Post
Same thing applies to piano music. A broken chord is still treated as a chord: it can ring until the next chord change, unless otherwise directed.
Not really. The sustain pedal should be indicated:
Ped symbol ending at *

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write