The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-11-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Sonny, music ain't for you

Just another little song I wrote for some fun, which was fun to do (so that worked out ok).

It's a little shaky here and there, I admit - I just cut my nails way, way too short (got kind of tired of looking at them) so playing feels a little different and it's a little hard to get used to (but they grow fast enough).

Any comments or advice are always welcome.

Sonny, Music Ain't For You

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 07-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Sweet! Cool song!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Location: Jackson, LA in body......North Carolina mountains in spirit

Loved it, shawlie!!! And I thought I heard a little more "confidence", "force", "projection" (???) (whatever) in your voice. Very nice self-deprecating song! Really enjoyed it.

Somewhere around 200 strings attached to various shapes, sizes, and types of wood. Real P.I.T.A. when it comes time to tune!!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Good job. I had no problem hearing the lyric on this one, and it was well worth the listen. I really like the lines "you couldn't carry a tune with a handle, or play a hot lick with a burning candle".

Gary
Old 07-11-2009, 01:08 PM

Shawlie,

Very catchy little tune! Try raising it a half or whole tone, it's a tad low for you, and I think it will be in your "sweet spot".

You should have beeen born in the 30-40s, you have Old Timey blood in your veins, good stuff my friend!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-12-2009, 07:25 AM

Shawlie,

Here's a Don Henry/Craig Caruthers song, "B.F.D.", which I think you'll find interesting. Its a good example of how devastatingly effective a simple, easy-to-sing melody can be if the lyric is truly funny and the accompanyment is well played.
http://www.we7.com/#/track/Bfd!trackId=1929578

Here's some background on the song:
http://www.donhenry.com/Songs%20from%20Live.htm

What's the relevence for this thread? Its my belief that you already have the tools and potential to write a song this good if you keep at it.

Gary
Old 07-12-2009, 01:30 PM

Another good one, Shawlie. Funny lyrics and great playing. I also love the washboard rhythm.
Christian
Old 07-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Thanks for listening, guys, and the comments.

mud4feet - thanks, I tried to sing louder and say the words more clearly. I also turned it up a little, too. Even though the singing's not so great, my wife also admited it was better this way - said it seemed a little easier to listen to when she didn't have to struggle all the time to try to understand what I was saying (which was very good advice from guitaniac, by the way).

Rich - thanks, I will try it higher (and maybe other songs higher, too). My voice isn't very low, it may help. It's funny, since I started playing again, I've only been listening to old stuff and hardly miss modern music at all (and I used to listen to all kinds of things - probably will again, but am enjoying stuff that's "newer" to me than stuff you hear on the radio these days).

Birkenweg - thanks for the reply. I love playing that washboard. It's sometimes annoying at home (can be loud), but if I mix it down, I always enjoy adding it to songs. It kind of helps to cover up missed rhythm on the guitar, too (which is maybe why I like it so much!).

Gary - thanks a lot for the link and encouragment. That song you linked to is pretty great, it's a great idea for a song. Funny how they can piece together a coherent story with just those letters - and how they build on the whole idea. Love the "e i e i o" (about TNN). Thanks for the background link, too, it was fun reading and inspiring stuff (simple idea, but they had to get that idea - that always seems like the hardest part). I'll definitly keep making up little songs, but admit that what those guys do is a little out of my league, at least for quite a while.

It was fun hearing them - kind of like the first time I heard the Kingston Trio. They had some normal folk stuff, but when they'd put their humor into it, I thought, "wow, you can do that too. It doesn't all have to be overly serious". Davey Gaurd's dead-pan delivery and introductions - "Live at the Hungry I" will always be one of my all-time favorite albums.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Picking, grinning, and tapping all the way!!! I love it! You are truly gifted, Shawlie, and I am constantly amazed by your creativity!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-13-2009, 01:57 PM

Thanks for listening, Bob, and for writing. I'm just kind of "recycling" things I listen to in a way - I mean to play blues, but it never comes out that way, so I do this kind of thing. Maybe later I will get more of a real blues sound - I listen to it a lot, but still have a lot to learn about it.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:20 PM

Oops, sorry. Got confused and posted in the wrong thread. Nothing new to add here. Its a good performance of a good song. Judging from the rapid progress, one can only presume that the best is yet to come.

Gary
Old 07-14-2009, 05:16 PM

Hi shawlie. I love the good-time feel of your song . . . it just made me smile! I agree with Rich that you might want to consider raising the pitch (key) a 1/2 step or so . . . but regardless it was very enjoyable tune.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 AM

Thanks, Steve, for listening and the reply. Singing's still something I have lots to work on - thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it (anything that might help, is always welcome advice - and knowing Rich's and your music, I know it's good advice).

And inspired by one of your last posts, I'm working hard on a version of "Statesboro Blues" (not my own, but a great transcription from Ernie Hawkins). Even put 12 strings on my old Ibanez (boy, finger-picking that with all 12 is a lot harder than I remember...). It's such a great song, and hearing you play and sing it just made me want to give it a try, too.

Thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell