The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
..... I like the unbound fretboard look the best.
My preference too, no matter what the guitar costs.

Tommy
Old 11-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
There's a superior product to Richlite available and it's starting to make the rounds in the luthiery community.

The product is Rocklite Ebano (ebony substitute) and Rocklite Sundari (rosewood substitute). The material is made from actual wood fiber and is not made from the finer paper pulp. I've used it on a few instruments and love it.

Here's a quick video from O'Brien Guitars relating his experience with the rosewood (Sundari) variety:

https://youtu.be/0Q3ckhjYV2I
I would like to know if this is, as is Richlite, eco-friendly. I would also like to know how it compares to Richlite cost-wise.

Steve
Old 11-08-2019, 07:32 PM

Only natural wood fingerboards for me! Don't need no stinkin' man-made substitutes, and don't try to confuse me with the facts.
Oh wait -- I own seven truly excellent carbon fiber guitars at the moment, and their finger boards are all cast epoxy or polyester. The only natural material in those guitars are the abalone inlays, for those that have inlays. Never mind......

There may be a guitar or uke around the house that has Richlite. On my "top ten" list of things to worry about, Richlite is maybe #37. Any material that meets the mission (does the intended job) is fine with me. Artificial materials tend to be more consistent in their properties, so easier to consistently machine. As an engineer I appreciate that. There are reasons that we use rubber tires on cars instead of spoked wooden wagon wheels with a steel outer hoop for wear resistance.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Some of us on this forum have been saying these things about Richlite for years now, whenever the subject comes up. It’s never made the slightest difference: the usual reaction most folks on here have to Richlite is to bristle with indignation. The facts of the situation rarely seem to matter.
I disagree Wade. The facts of the situation do matter. It is just that different people care about different facts. The fact I care about is that Richlite is not wood. And when you want wood, you want wood.

I don't care if Richlite is better than wood. I want wood.

Which is not to say that I would never buy a Richlite guitar. If I found something that was perfect in other ways, I might buy it. But I will want wood fretboards for as long as I can get them.

Last edited by rwmct; 11-08-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
If you can feel the FB whilst playing you are pressing too hard.
Quite possibly. Regardless, I'd prefer a fretboard that felt natural no matter how I played it. So no richlite for me. As always, YMMV
Old 11-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
...I like the unbound fretboard look the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
My preference too, no matter what the guitar costs.
Me too. Except where an ebony FB is bound with ebony, like the FB of my Lowden - I love its discreet but luxurious appearance. And even better if there’s a fine inlay of a light wood such as maple between the ebony of the FB and the ebony binding.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-08-2019, 10:24 PM

I am not against Richlite per se, but think that more expensive guitars should get real wood. There are Gibson models with walnut fretboards, so why not use it (or something similar) instead of Richlite?
Old 11-08-2019, 10:47 PM

Just what I've been curious about, since I don't think I've ever even seen one.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 11-08-2019, 10:49 PM

Anyone got some butter?
Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 PM

I just care about sound, durability, and aesthetic - in that order, and Richlite has all three. Ebony is great too. I wouldn't prefer one over the other. Environmental impact would also be a determiner.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Some of us on this forum have been saying these things about Richlite for years now, whenever the subject comes up. It’s never made the slightest difference: ....
Exactly what I was thinking. Nothing new about the discussion of Richlite and its positive attributes. People who don't like it seem to not like it out of principle. People who do like it, like it because they've used it and find it a great product.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:21 PM

Thanks for sharing. Learned lots from the video. Like the stuff even more now.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:03 AM

Great video! Thanks for sharing.

My main guitar is a Martin OMC-16OGTE and it has a richlite fingerboard.

I also have a 50 year old Martin D28 with an ebony fingerboard and a new Hill Classical Guitar also with an Ebony fingerboard.

I play these guitars daily and I can say I don’t ever think about the fingerboard. As far as I can tell the fingerboard material makes no difference.

I have had refret jobs on both of the Martin guitars. No issues with either job and no comments or issues from the repair shop. Both fingerboards have worn very well and are durable. Of course one is 50 years old and the other is 10 years old but they both are in great shape.

If I make myself pay attention to the fingerboards I can tell a difference. The richlite board feels just a little bit smoother to my fingers. I like that feel. But when buying another guitar I can assure you I will not even pay attention to the fingerboard material.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Some of us on this forum have been saying these things about Richlite for years now, whenever the subject comes up. It’s never made the slightest difference: the usual reaction most folks on here have to Richlite is to bristle with indignation. The facts of the situation rarely seem to matter.

Those of you who’ve watched the video and have an open mind have changed your opinions, and good for you. But I suspect that the next time the subject of Richlite comes up the reactions will be about the same.

Wade Hampton Miller

And the irony of that statement is that those with an 'open mind' bristle with equal indignation over the fact that there are those of us who dislike Richlite. It's perfectly acceptable not to like it and unfair to assume some kind of faux moral high ground and brand such people as narrow minded.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

We can discuss Richlite all day long, but let's quit analyzing the morals of people who like or people who don't.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion