The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-12-2020, 01:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Totally understandable. I feel bad that you both feel bad, but this is out of anyone's control. Thank you for all you have done and are doing for this great community!
Old 03-12-2020, 01:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default How Many Could Show Up?

Tom, I understand you disappointment. Are we talking 2, maybe 3 luthiers not coming? I guess that means 5 or 6 would.Have a lot of folks who bought tickets backed out? There are a lot of good players, and a lot of good writers in this world, not to mention luthiers.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:14 PM

Hi all,

I wanted to add my own reply here to say firstly how sorry I am to have had to pull out of this wonderful event organised so beautifully by Tom. I also wanted to say how grateful I am to Tom for his efforts in getting everything together for B.I.G., and for inviting me to a true "dream come true" event. I was on such a high when Tom invited me - such an honour. I'm absolutely devastated across the board, truth be told.

"The show must go on" mentality is part of my blood but, regrettably, the situation changed so quickly over the past few days, that it just became impossible for us to rely on our travel arrangements. Norwegian Air, our airline, announced they were cancelling 3000 flights from mid March, not telling us which ones, and with the ever-increasing restrictions on travel only getting worse - we felt we just couldn't justify cross-continental travel. That, on top of the obvious escalation of measures you'll all have seen and heard about was the final straw really.

My humblest apologies, and I'll be drinking a whisky tonight and raising a glass to you, Tom and Kathy, for all your efforts here.

All my very best,

Will
Old 03-12-2020, 02:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tom i too am disappointed and wish there were some way around this decision but I completely understand. Please take a while to recoup from this set back and Then when you are not feeling down about it all plan another event. I really want to see what you have, what all the other builders have made and show off my stuff. This get together is such a great idea. I hope to see it survive.

John
Old 03-12-2020, 02:22 PM

What a shame the event is cancelled! I think it's the right thing to do, Tom, but it's a big disappointment for all of us. Especially so for these fine luthiers that built guitars just for the show! I hope all the people that were going to attend - indeed, all AGFers - will consider buying one of their superb instruments as a show of support.

No refund for me, my friend! Just hold my place for the next one.

Stan
Old 03-12-2020, 02:34 PM

Sad, to be sure. But, you made the right decision, in my very humble opinion.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Smile What Ryan Said...

"Sorry Tom. Can’t say enough about all you’ve done for this event and for the guitar public. It’s devastating. Good on you for making the tough decision."

I am sure we all agree! Tom and Kathy have done so much for the AGF community it is hard to grasp the work they have done!

Thank You Both for all your efforts on behalf of the Luthiers, players (and even lurkers) here!

My heart breaks over this entire situation...

Everyone stay well and play extra pretty!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-12-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Bummer Tom. Great event and a lot of work. Stay safe.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

A sad day.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Absolutely agree that it's the right decision, as difficult as it is. And I feel so badly for Tom, Kathy and for the luthiers who put so much effort into finishing instruments for the event.

All I had to do was show up and drool. But I can and will do that online until hopefully we can all get together. Until then, we can enable and support each other here!

Again, thanks to Tom, Kathy and the luthiers!
Old 03-12-2020, 03:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

What a heartbreaking turn of events... Even though I was unable to attend this year, I was hoping to experience the B.I.G.er Show vicariously, through the reportage, recordings, and photos from so many of my colleagues and great friends we've made here on the AGF. It really sounded like this event was all set for a fantastic upward trajectory, and then a caprice of Fate turns it all upside down.

We should all give Tom and Kathy a standing ovation for everything they've done, anyway. All that hard work, expense, and generosity on their part should not go unrecognized. And though I'm sure Tom is feeling devastated right now by this rotten turn, it's pretty obvious that everyone involved wants to see this event continue, and grow, and prosper. I sure do.

I told Joel (my shop partner) about this a little while ago, and he and I both agreed, we hope that the B.I.G. will be back next year, and we both regretted not being able to participate this year.

Anyway, everyone PLEASE take care, stay healthy, and like all storms, this too will pass.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

A sad day indeed...

As disappointed as I am to see BIG(er) cancelled, I'm mostly so sorry and bummed for our friends, Tom and Kathy, for all their efforts to be upturned by this turn of events. Thank you both for everything you've done to put this together.

Stay strong everyone, and hopefully, when this is all behind us, we can all gather together once again and share our love for guitars and music...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
We should all give Tom and Kathy a standing ovation for everything they've done, anyway. All that hard work, expense, and generosity on their part should not go unrecognized. And though I'm sure Tom is feeling devastated right now by this rotten turn, it's pretty obvious that everyone involved wants to see this event continue, and grow, and prosper. I sure do.
+1000 on those sentiments.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 03-12-2020, 04:05 PM

I'm sorry to hear this has happened after all the work put in by so many, but especially Tom and Kathy. I hope that the outpouring of support on here helps cheer you up at what must be a very hard time.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Having already sent my guitars to Tom and Kathy’s, looks like at least one, the Penngrove, will have to be shipped back. Or, if one of you is seriously interested in having a look at it, it could be shipped to you. On my dime, since I’m paying it anyway. You would NOT be disappointed.

The other is for CigarFan, and arrangements have been made. Dennis won’t be disappointed either.

So sorry not to meet and hang out with y’all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop