The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harindavid View Post
Whats dobro and pedal steel? First time i've heard those names
Since you're from Sri Lanka, I'm guessing you're not trolling but really curious, so:
Dobro:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobro
Pedal Steel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedal_steel_guitar
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 PM

I don't know about talented, but I spent several years as primarily a flute/saxophone player, still fool on the flute a bit, and used to get around a little on the fiddle. Plan on getting back into it soon. Know a few chords and scales on keyboard as well, although even more rusty than on the flute.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 AM

I started off on sax. Clarinet was an easy pick up from there. In high school they asked me to learn tuba. That made it easier to pick up baritone, key trombone and trumpet. Shortly after I started on sax I start taking piano lessons and dad taught me guitar and I taught myself slide guitar. Also in high school I too up right bass lessons for jazz band. In college I took up mandolin and violin since they are pretty much the same fingerings. Lately I starting learning ukulele and harmonica.
G&L S500
Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 AM

I play just about anything with strings on it. To me a string is a string, no matter what instrument its on. I also play keys.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM

I started on drums as a kid. Played professionally for several years.
Picked up some guitar, cowboy chords, as a late teen but moved to mandolin and now been focused on guitar for over 3 years. Much easier to carry my mandolin to our bluegrass band gigs then the drums. Also, gigs are earlier and no more late night club gigs. So, timing first, chords next, then leads.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harindavid View Post
Ok let me rephrase the question since many choose to be modest how many musicians in here play multiple instruments?
I also play tenor saxophone in jazz ensembles and classical quartet. I played bassoon in symphonic band through college. I enjoy developing my tone and technique on alto flute - I look forward to using it in a jazz setting.

I started guitar, saxophone, and bassoon in the '70s. They have been great therapy for me over the years.

George
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harindavid
Whats dobro and pedal steel? First time i've heard those names

Since you're from Sri Lanka, I'm guessing you're not trolling but really curious, so:
Dobro:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobro
Pedal Steel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedal_steel_guitar
Brad
My apologies to harindavid and thanks to Brad. I hadn't gotten back to this thread until now. Harin, Brad kindly sent you good links to these two wonderful instruments. I'll post a couple links to songs of mine, the first featuring a Dobro (1987 D-60) in the background and the second featuring an MSA Semi-Pro pedal steel.

Dandelion Brunette

Child's Cry
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM

Talented? I guess I am competent.

Vocals, guitar, banjo, accordion, cello, upright bass, synths, drums.

This is an original. Me on accordion and vocals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js9J8RJNd78

Here is a country Danzig cover. I played all the instruments. Guitars, banjo, drums, upright bass. My friend (higher voice) sang too. A side project.

http://americansinner.com/fdm/13.mp3

Last edited by american sinner; 01-29-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM

well, im far from good at anything but i am learning guitar and banjo at the moment, the first instruments i learnt was a guitar and tin whistle!
ive been through many musical stages, ive went from guitar, to saxophone, to piano, to harmonica and now come full circle with the guitar and banjo which i am sticking with!(also, if it counts, i try to sing!)

Alex Kirtley, UK
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Any talented musicians in here who play multiple instruments?

I mostly play mandolin. Then I sing in the church choir and play some guitar. Many years ago I played French horn. I can still blow a bugle though.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:36 AM

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies amazing to see the number of people who can play different instruments! and al the modest people who don't think you'll are talented, guess what?You'll are talented! if you can play an instrument that's all that matters..

Thanks so much Brad for clarifying about the Dobro and Pedal street.. The Dobro looks a funky instrument.. Is it almost the same as the guitar? Also I've seen the pedal steel being played. It sounds really really nice especially with a band playing.. Cool stuff!!

And no worries Dave looking forward to the links

"When we are listening to the sound of a singer's voice, God is listening to the sound of a singer's heart."
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
And no worries Dave looking forward to the links
The links are built into the song names above.

Here they are again:

Dandelion Brunette

A Child's Cry
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM

I play guitar and mandolin, poorly. Nick plays guitar and mandolin, purty good. He also plays just a bit of dobro, fiddle, banjo, bass, piano. He’s one of those irritating people that seems to be able to switch from one to the other without much trouble. He could play anything, it’s just a matter of spending the time. He focuses mostly on guitar because, number one, it’s the most challenging, and number two, that’s just been his path. He’s playing a lot more mandolin lately and is really getting good. We’ve found it very easy to translate guitar skills to the mandolin. Not quite as easy going the other way. That’s another reason we focus so much on the guitar.
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM

I do Guitars Acoustic, Elecrtric & Classicals, Pianos, Violins, Bass both upright and electric, *learning organ but very very slowly.... expensive courses T_T*, learning harp at the moment and it's not going to well and humans *conductor*

Unfortunately I am not that good in any of the above.
L Luthier GA 33VSEQ
Hofma Classical (It's bagged and stored)
Gibson LP
Gibson LP AW Supreme

Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Not overlly talented but I do guitar, banjo, mandolin, and bass guitar. I have never tried a non-string instrument.

Todd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments