The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 PM

Thumbs up Taylor Ukulele - Finally a Reality!

Wood and steel just showed up in my mailbox and it says they are making a small batch of Builder's Reserves featuring a tenor ukulele.

Here is a picture:

Wonder what the price will be...
2003 Taylor Big Baby
2010 Taylor Solid Body Custom Spalted Maple 1 of 8
ESP (LTD) MH-1000 - FR & EMG (Gone)
2010 Fender American Deluxe Telecaster Aged Cherry
Takamine EG-124
Ibanez SZ520QM
and a few others
Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM

You beat me to it by 10 minutes. Anyone else able to track down any more info on this?

Taylor Honey-burst 614c
Kala Mahogany Ukulele

Ovation Celebrity Deluxe
Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Pretty sure I read that both the Uke and the Amp are only being sold as combos with the guitars as shown.

The guitars are Builders Reserve too (think R Taylor) so figure several grand for each pair.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Pretty sure I read that both the Uke and the Amp are only being sold as combos with the guitars as shown.

The guitars are Builders Reserve too (think R Taylor) so figure several grand for each pair.
You are right...

"Each ukulele/guitar pairing will feature a custom label and will be sold to dealers strictly as a matched set."

Here's how I feel about that
2003 Taylor Big Baby
2010 Taylor Solid Body Custom Spalted Maple 1 of 8
ESP (LTD) MH-1000 - FR & EMG (Gone)
2010 Fender American Deluxe Telecaster Aged Cherry
Takamine EG-124
Ibanez SZ520QM
and a few others
Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM

I just spoke to my dealer about it and he told me $10,000 for each pair (uke/guitar or amp/guitar). You can't get them separately yet.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:44 PM

BUT that does not mean a production version will be far off!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
BUT that does not mean a production version will be far off!
True. But this current batch of Ukes are all hand-made. For a cheaper production model they still have to tool up the factory.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 01-17-2012, 04:09 PM

If a quality guitar maker like Taylor starts making reasonably affordable ukuleles with good intonation, that would be a great thing.

So many of the ukuleles being sold today are simply junk in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
So many of the ukuleles being sold today are simply junk in my opinion.
If you are referring to the stuff you find at GC, yes I would tend to agree. However, if you look at stuff made by say Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanilea … I don’t think you would call them junk.

I currently own a Kamaka HF-3 and a few other ukes you won’t typically find at GC and they are all excellent instruments. Even the Cordoba I picked up from a GC is really not that bad once you’ve set it up properly.

But generally, I would tend to shy away from manufacturers that branched off into making ukes and stick to those that specialize in or only make ukes.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 PM

Right, so that would eliminate Martin and Collings.

The Martin object made in Mexico that looks like a uke.. I agree should be avoided.. however... Martin does have a 90 year history of uke making.
Collings makes fine ukes.

I am certain a Taylor uke has all the attributes of a Taylor guitar.
(read that any way you like)

And on a final thought : "pairing".. that certainly fits in with Taylor marketing.. "pairing" .... sheesh
Old 01-17-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
Right, so that would eliminate Martin and Collings.

The Martin object made in Mexico that looks like a uke.. I agree should be avoided.. however... Martin does have a 90 year history of uke making.
Collings makes fine ukes.

I am certain a Taylor uke has all the attributes of a Taylor guitar.
(read that any way you like)

And on a final thought : "pairing".. that certainly fits in with Taylor marketing.. "pairing" .... sheesh
Martin has a new Nazareth made line of ukes that is pretty exciting, soprano, concert and tenor style 2 ukes. Great prices, great Martin sound.

I'm interested in the Taylor, but it's obvious he's marketing to the upper high end guitar buyer with only a smattering of 'ukulele interest for 10K. My opinion of course.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
If you are referring to the stuff you find at GC, yes I would tend to agree. However, if you look at stuff made by say Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanilea … I don’t think you would call them junk.

I currently own a Kamaka HF-3 and a few other ukes you won’t typically find at GC and they are all excellent instruments. Even the Cordoba I picked up from a GC is really not that bad once you’ve set it up properly.

But generally, I would tend to shy away from manufacturers that branched off into making ukes and stick to those that specialize in or only make ukes.
I seriously considered a Koaloha a few years ago that had simply lovely tone, but had intractable intonation problems that even my very competent guitar tech could not fix. It was selling for $600 used.

I recently played a few ukuleles in the $2K - $3K range that were fabulous in all respects. But that's more money than I can justify spending right now. I'm sure there are in fact less expensive ones that are also good, but the only lower priced ones I've encountered with good intonation were the Flukes and Fleas. (OK, I guess the Martin ones are OK, but did not move me sound-wise, and at the time they only were making sopranos - we were looking for a concert).
Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Charter Member

Wow. Have not seen it before. I hope they get them into production soon so mere mortals can take ownership
Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
I recently played a few ukuleles in the $2K - $3K range that were fabulous in all respects. But that's more money than I can justify spending right now. I'm sure there are in fact less expensive ones that are also good, but the only lower priced ones I've encountered with good intonation were the Flukes and Fleas. (OK, I guess the Martin ones are OK, but did not move me sound-wise, and at the time they only were making sopranos - we were looking for a concert).
Have you played any nationals? The ones I've picked up played brilliantly. They are resonators, so the are heavy (compared to my fluke anyway!), and loud. not for everyone. I'm on the search for a used one at a decent price.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:57 AM

Interesting concept. I have not seen these. Resonator guitars have sort of fascinated me, though this is not my vision of what I was hoping for in a ukulele.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments