The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Default Petros vs Beauregard vs Olson vs Ryan

Hey everyone. I'm not asking the question "which is best?" here. I'm just looking for some people who've played some of these brands and have an opinion to voice on them. I know, these are all fantastic instruments, and I doubt anyone didn't like them, but, I'm mainly looking for people to compare them against each other and to other high end guitars.

Thanks,
Max
Old 06-04-2010, 10:46 AM

I have Ryans and Olsons.....you will hear from lots of people with varying opinions on both. Personally, I prefer Olsons to the Ryans. They are both amazing guitars, both amazingly talented luthiers, but my Olsons sound better than my Ryans.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 06-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
I have Ryans and Olsons.....you will hear from lots of people with varying opinions on both. Personally, I prefer Olsons to the Ryans. They are both amazing guitars, both amazingly talented luthiers, but my Olsons sound better than my Ryans.
CPA. Can you describe in what ways the Olson sounds better than the Ryan. I probably shouldn't ask because I'm sure it will cause GAS but fire away!

Psalm 150:4 Praise Him with tambourine and dancing, praise Him with the strings and flute!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:27 AM

You might want to PM 690MBCommando. He had builds with all of the builders you are asking plus Greenfield. Another of our members, MexicoBlue, owns guitars from many high-end builders (incl. Somogyi, Traugott etc.), and he too was very helpful for me when I selected Jim for a custom build.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordee View Post
CPA. Can you describe in what ways the Olson sounds better than the Ryan. I probably shouldn't ask because I'm sure it will cause GAS but fire away!
The Olsons seem to have an articulation and a balance accross the strings as well as up and down the board. I am not an aficianado of sound by any measure...but the professional musicians who I let sit down and play both were amazed at the crispness of the trebles and the balance of the volume and sustain when playing between strings and all the way up the board without any degredation in the quality or level of the sound of the Olson as compared to the Ryan. Just as crisp up the board as down.

I played the Petros at Newport and they were beautiful and sounded very nice, but I did not think they had anything over the Olsons.

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 06-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I have owned guitars from Olson, Ryan and Beauregard and I have played a few Petros. Out of those 4, I would rank them Beauregard, Olson, Ryan and then Petros. That being said, there is nothing wrong with an Olson, Ryan or Petros, but in my humble opinion based on what I look for in a guitar and based on the examples I have seen first hand, Mario builds a better sounding and cleaner guitar than any of the other three mentioned here. Mario's guitars tend to be a bit tighter when new then any of the others, but in 12 months time that becomes a moot point once his guitars loosen up a bit.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 06-04-2010, 01:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dQZlFSue0g

that, is stunning.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I have owned guitars from Olson, Ryan and Beauregard and I have played a few Petros. Out of those 4, I would rank them Beauregard, Olson, Ryan and then Petros. That being said, there is nothing wrong with an Olson, Ryan or Petros, but in my humble opinion based on what I look for in a guitar and based on the examples I have seen first hand, Mario builds a better sounding and cleaner guitar than any of the other three mentioned here. Mario's guitars tend to be a bit tighter when new then any of the others, but in 12 months time that becomes a moot point once his guitars loosen up a bit.
These great luthiers all build great guitars, you really couldn't go wrong.

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 06-04-2010, 03:02 PM

Olson and Ryans are similar, but Beauregards and Petros are very different. Guitars, like food, wine and cars, what's better depends on what preferences you have and how refined your tastes are.

Go play them yourself, I can't tell what cars, food and wine you'll like over a forum, just like I can't tell which guitar you'll like. There are many other builders as well if you don't find what you like between these 4 makers.

I will say that for the number of acoustic guitars that Petros Guitars are making every year (they are a father and son team), they have by a considerable margin, the least amount of second hand guitars for sale.

Below is my last post on this thread. I brought it further to the front because I would like more people to read it.

I'll have to apologise to the Original Poster, I just realised that I did not answer his question at all.

Most Petros guitars are in what is called the Grand Concert (GC) size. When I asked Bruce a couple of years ago, he told me that 90% of all his orders are in this body size. My impressions of this body size is that the sound is very powerful and rich (full of overtones and harmonics). This size does all kinds of music well in all wood combinations. So you can see why these guitars are very well liked.

Less commonly, they build a FingerStyle (FS) model that resembles the size of a classical guitar. This guitar is more specialized because it has a more mellow sound (also very rich), similar to a classical guitar. Petros builds very nice FS guitars (they started out building classicals), but because they are not as versatile as the GC (especially true for those who want a quick, loud, sound) these guitars do not have as many fans as the GC. The majority of second hand Petros guitars are of this kind precisely because it takes a certain kind of guitarist to appreciate the best in these guitars. Having said that, the mellow nature of this guitar is perfect for slow, gentle pieces, although in my opinion, although they can be played for many kinds of music as well while giving its own flavour. Again, the FS, although perfect for some, is not for everyone.

So, although all Petros guitars are very good, they are not all the same. And because the GC sells so fast, if there are any Petros at all, it is usually the FS size that spends enough time in the store for people to try out.

It frustrates me immensely that people who try out the FS makes 2 assumptions:

1. That all Petros guitars are the same (they are at current count, building in four(4) body sizes in various wood combinations and scale lengths).

2. Having only tried the less popular FS when their style does not suit that body size, some assume that they must dislike the GC too without having tried it. Even worse when they feel the need to tell others how they don't like all Petros guitars.

Sorry, I digress again. Anyway, if you are considering buying a Petros, consider nothing but the sound. Bruce has been building and repairing for almost 40 years (maybe more) and I have gone through as many details on his guitar as it is possible for a non-builder to do. I've asked him everything from neck materials to binding materials to finish types . . . I have probably asked him every question on this forum, and every single question was answered by a guy who just wants to build great guitars with no shortcuts or compromises. Everything from tone to playability to durability has been taken into account at every stage of the building process.

In summary,
Unlike a number of other builders, Petros does not build only clones of the same guitar. If you order from him, he will build you a true custom that you will truly like. Not everyone may like your custom, precisely because it was built just for you.

I'm an unmet friend of the honest, hardworking, knowledgeable guitar builder.

Last edited by tkuane; 06-19-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: brought a post forward
Old 06-05-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkuane View Post

I will say that for the number of acoustic guitars that Petros Guitars are making every year (they are a father and son team), they have by a considerable margin, the least amount of second hand guitars for sale.
So how did you quantify that?

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 06-05-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
So how did you quantify that?
Ever tried shopping for preowned Petros guitars?

As I understand it, Petros guitars are built with very stiff tops which may take quite a few months to "open up". Once these guitars get "played in" however, they don't stay without an adoring owner for very long.

Last edited by tkuane; 06-05-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:47 AM

I played 2 Petros at Rudy's in NYC and they were both very nice guitars, but not stellar either in terms tone or craftsmanship. Woods and appointments are beautiful, but they didn't make me open my pockets. I think that almost no high-end builder builds only stellar guitars, so you can go right or wrong.

I must say I found it a bit strange that they trademarked "Tunnel 13" and didn't let folks like Dennis Kwasnycia, who actually has Tunnel 13 tops, call them that way. I think this is pretty un-american-luthier-like, because I find it really cool that almost all luthiers here in the country and Canada are exchanging ideas and let others use them, and thereby all get better to the customer's benefit.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Hi Max…
Lamborghini, BMW Z4, Porsche 911 GT2 RS, Scorpion, Viper, Bugatti, or Corvette? Olson, Beauregard, Ryan, Bashkin, Petros, Somogyi, Sheppard...

(the list of luthiers in no way matches up with the list of cars for illustrative point only)

Most would class the 4 you listed as world class builders, with more or less experience, and having played three of them I would rank those three Olson, Ryan then Petros. Have not yet played a Beauregard.

But if limited to 4 I’d replace the Petros with Bashkin or Sheppard or Wingert. Not that Petros are bad, but there are some stellar guitars being built out there when we begin splitting these kinds of hairs.

First of all we are not discussing quality of build or capability of any of the luthiers...but performance characteristics of the guitars, and how they are tailored to our individual ears, hands and needs.

I’ve played individual Ryans which were very Olson-esque, and others which are a unique signature found with Kevin's guitars. I can feel and hear differences in the two (and have a pretty good point of reference with 17 years of playing the same Olson daily), but find more similarities than differences.

Petros on the other hand are a more contemporary sound and feel to me when I play them. A completely different set of characteristics with some things shared but more differences than similarities. Not bad, mind you, just different...

If you are giving any away, I’ll be happy with any you choose from that list for me. Thanks...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K III View Post
I played 2 Petros at Rudy's in NYC and they were both very nice guitars, but not stellar either in terms tone or craftsmanship. Woods and appointments are beautiful, but they didn't make me open my pockets. I think that almost no high-end builder builds only stellar guitars, so you can go right or wrong.

I must say I found it a bit strange that they trademarked "Tunnel 13" and didn't let folks like Dennis Kwasnycia, who actually has Tunnel 13 tops, call them that way. I think this is pretty un-american-luthier-like, because I find it really cool that almost all luthiers here in the country and Canada are exchanging ideas and let others use them, and thereby all get better to the customer's benefit.
Whoa there, it's just a name after all, no need to accuse anyone of being un-anything. Ideas and names are not the same thing. Tunnel 13 guitars are associated by not only the place the tops came from, but also with the Petros sound and the Tunnel 13 design. They're just trying to protect themselves from others (I am sure this does not include Kwasnycia) from cashing in from a line of guitars that they popularised. If anything, trademarks protect customers because they avoid customers buying one thing while thinking that it was something else.

The same builder may build very different guitars depending on the type of music that is to be played on a particular guitar, and the player's personal preferences. On the contrary, if you find a good builder who builds in the style that you like, and you communicate well to him your likes and dislikes, it is very unlikely that you'll receive a guitar that you don't like. Those 2 guitars were perhaps just not to your preferences. It has taken me a few years to appreciate that people have very legitimate reasons to love guitars I don't care for, mostly because we just have different tastes.

Last edited by tkuane; 06-05-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkuane View Post
Ever tried shopping for preowned Petros guitars?

As I understand it, Petros guitars are built with very stiff tops which may take quite a few months to "open up". Once these guitars get "played in" however, they don't stay without an adoring owner for very long.
They come up from time to time. So do Olsons but they get snapped up pretty fast. Brazilian Olsons are rarely around.

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop