The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Default hohner guitars

I recently ordered the hohner essential classical I am still waiting on it and the anticipation is killing me has anyone played a hohner(hohner classical) if so do they play good. And also the top is natural finish solid sitika spruce does anyone know how light or dark yellow this wood is. In the book it looks pretty dark but sometimes pictures are deceiving
Old 12-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Don't have your particular model, but snagged a new HC 06 student model classical a year ago. All laminate box w/ spruce top and "mahogany" (really nato) back & sides, nato neck, hardwood fingerboard (likely stained maple). Top was light blonde when new but has since aged to a nice light golden color.

Build quality rivals Yamaha student models. Action is decent, tuners work as they should, tone and sustain are very good. Put on some DiAddario Pro-Arte EJ46 hard tension strings to kick up the volume a little, works well.

Only reason I bought this was to play blues and pop tunes with the nylon sound and using picks. If I wanted to study classical I'd probably opt for a more upscale model such as yours.

Considering what it is, I'm very pleased with mine. Would like to read a user review about yours after you've played it awhile .

spayzkadet

Last edited by spayzkadet; 12-06-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Added info about top color.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Ok ill be sure to that I'm glad see that the wood really darkens more golden in a short period of time. I know you have. The hc06 but how thick is the gloss, I mean does it look sort a plasticy because my guitar said it had amicro thin poly gloss so it could be different from yours.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:46 PM

willienelson,

My HC 06 has what I would describe as a satin, or semi-gloss finish. Not nearly as glossy as Yamaha FGs from the 70s, high-gloss polyurethane was the norm for a lot of factory guitars back then.

Believe that satin finish is pretty much the standard for factory guitars today.

spayzkadet
Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Thank you for helping me out

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical