The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-18-2023, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Hyvibe opinions? Especially looper usability

Any Hyvibe users here?

I am trying to figure out if I would like a Hyvibe system in my next guitar. I am thinking about getting an Emerald X20 with Hyvibe added, as is currently available in the Emerald configurator tool, but that (choice of guitar) is another subject for me for now.

My intended Hyvibe usage would be mostly using the looper for figuring out the bass / rhythm / melody parts of the little fingerpicking tunes that I like to compose on the fly. Sometimes I'll have a melody in my head, and I'll struggle to add in the bass and/or rhythm parts. Or I'll want to focus in on one part in order to decide which way I'd prefer it to go, so it would be good to have the other part looping while I do that.

I don't think I would need layering of multiple loops, and I don't think I would need to store loops. I don't think I would use any other advanced features, either, and I don't think I would need to use the looper for "live" playing. Basically I'd use it for composing ideas, then be done with it.

Most demos that I've seen of the Hyvibe looper are more like looping a chord progression, then soloing over it, but in my intended way it would be more for composing a solo piece, eventually putting all the pieces together to play at once, fingerstyle.

Other than that, I would probably like to have a little reverb and/or chorus on, and hopefully use the metronome to improve my timing, which is pretty bad.

I'm not interested in getting a stand-alone looper, so I guess it's either Hyvibe or nothing right now, but I don't want to get the Hyvibe if I think it will be hard or inappropriate to use in my intended way.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2023, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone?

Bumping my thread from yesterday.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I had a HyVibe system installed in an Eastman guitar a few years back, but eventually sold it - because of the guitar, not the HyVibe.

I tended to use the looper for chord progressions but I think it would work for what you described. A nice thing about a system like that is you can upgrade the firmware when new features - like maybe the ability to use multiple layered loops.

Emerald has been selling a lot of guitars with HyVibes installed. Have you tried asking in the Carbon Fiber forum? Or check for previous posts there - I recall seeing a few lately. You might also ask there to see if there is anyone nearby with an Emerald/HyVibe that would let you try theirs out.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I had a HyVibe system installed in an Eastman guitar a few years back, but eventually sold it - because of the guitar, not the HyVibe.

I tended to use the looper for chord progressions but I think it would work for what you described. A nice thing about a system like that is you can upgrade the firmware when new features - like maybe the ability to use multiple layered loops.

Emerald has been selling a lot of guitars with HyVibes installed. Have you tried asking in the Carbon Fiber forum? Or check for previous posts there - I recall seeing a few lately. You might also ask there to see if there is anyone nearby with an Emerald/HyVibe that would let you try theirs out.
Thanks for the response.

I posted my thread about Hyvibe here, on "Acoustic Amplification", because I wanted to know specifically about Hyvibe, as opposed to Emerald. It's just that if I do go ahead and get a guitar with Hyvibe installed, it will most likely be an Emerald (X20).

I searched through the CF sub-forum for talk about Hyvibe, but it all seemed to be about people intending to get an Emerald with Hyvibe installed, but no actual accounts or reviews after getting their Emerald with Hyvibe. I don't know if that lack of information equates to a negative view of Emeralds with Hyvibe, but it certainly doesn't seem positive.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:06 PM

I’m not sure how well one can time a stop/start of a loop with a finger, especially coming in hot on the 1. Looks like they expect Bluetooth midi to allow foot control for the looper. At that point you bought the hyvibe and a midi pedal, for looping only, but don’t want a standalone looper?
Old 03-20-2023, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I’m not sure how well one can time a stop/start of a loop with a finger, especially coming in hot on the 1. Looks like they expect Bluetooth midi to allow foot control for the looper. At that point you bought the hyvibe and a midi pedal, for looping only, but don’t want a standalone looper?
I was under the impression that you initially create a loop by setting the tempo and the number of bars? And then it would presumably count you in for one bar or so, and then you start playing? In other words, no precise loop timing required when you are playing.

That is what I thought, but could be wrong.

I am not interested in a stand-alone looper. I actually have one (Digitech Jam Man of some kind), but I don't like using it, and I want to be able to do everything from the guitar, which allows me to just grab the guitar and take it to a quiet place in the house and play.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I was under the impression that you initially create a loop by setting the tempo and the number of bars? And then it would presumably count you in for one bar or so, and then you start playing? In other words, no precise loop timing required when you are playing.

That is what I thought, but could be wrong....
You're right. That's how the looper works on the HyVibe.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I think there just isn't a lot of interest in the HyVibe on the AGF. Most questions about it don't generate a lot of traffic. So I wouldn't interpret that as a negative attitude toward Emerald's with HyVibe. If you watch their shipping videos you'll see a lot of guitars going out with the system installed.

I understand your question though. I have an X-20 (love it...highly recommended), but if I were ordering one today, I'd have to think about the HyVibe. It sounds like you have a good use for the looper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Thanks for the response.

I posted my thread about Hyvibe here, on "Acoustic Amplification", because I wanted to know specifically about Hyvibe, as opposed to Emerald. It's just that if I do go ahead and get a guitar with Hyvibe installed, it will most likely be an Emerald (X20).

I searched through the CF sub-forum for talk about Hyvibe, but it all seemed to be about people intending to get an Emerald with Hyvibe installed, but no actual accounts or reviews after getting their Emerald with Hyvibe. I don't know if that lack of information equates to a negative view of Emeralds with Hyvibe, but it certainly doesn't seem positive.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I think there just isn't a lot of interest in the HyVibe on the AGF. Most questions about it don't generate a lot of traffic. So I wouldn't interpret that as a negative attitude toward Emerald's with HyVibe. If you watch their shipping videos you'll see a lot of guitars going out with the system installed.

I understand your question though. I have an X-20 (love it...highly recommended), but if I were ordering one today, I'd have to think about the HyVibe. It sounds like you have a good use for the looper.
Thanks, I do appreciate your time and knowledge in these replies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification