The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 09:03 PM

Default Looking for luthiers who accept 24 month payment plan for international buyers

Hi everyone, I am located in Hong Kong. I am looking for some luthiers who accept at least 24 month payment plan for international buyers, as I am short on money. Do you guys have any recommendations for me?
Old 03-15-2023, 09:29 PM

Most good luthiers have a wait list of 6 months and sometimes to as long as 5-7 years. And also normally you can put a deposit down and tell the luthier what delivery date you would like (say in your case 24 months). You can then perhaps create a new bank account and start setting aside every month into that new bank account until your desired and agreed delivery date with the luthier. Would this work?
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 03-16-2023, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

What Pandaroo said. Also, each luthier tends to make guitars with a particular style and voice. It might help if you narrow down what you want in a custom-built guitar to a few luthiers who make instruments that match your playing preferences, then start the conversation with them about waiting lists and payment.

More generally, here is a great thread that discusses ordering customer guitars - https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=589449
Old 03-16-2023, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Posted in wrong AGF forum?

Perhaps post in AGF Classifieds as "Dealer WTB Custom Guitars on 2-year Payment Plan"?

Last edited by Al Mojo; 03-17-2023 at 06:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-16-2023, 07:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

I once got a deposit on a guitar. A couple of weeks later the guy had a major car problem and needed the deposit back. He promised he would replace it quickly and asked if I could hold his spot. He did replace it quickly a few weeks later, but then needed the money back again (for hospital bills I think.) I returned his deposit and cancelled the order. I am not a bank.

If you can wait for a custom order, you could do what others have suggested with your "own" banking. I only ship my guitars after they are paid in full, but do accept (and require) payments throughout the build process.

If you need something quickly perhaps a credit card.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hum9797 View Post
Hi everyone, I am located in Hong Kong. I am looking for some luthiers who accept at least 24 month payment plan for international buyers, as I am short on money. Do you guys have any recommendations for me?
I don't think it's appropriate to expect a luthier to finance a commission or a purchase. I'd suggest you find other means to manage your finances.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-16-2023, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Smile This

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I don't think it's appropriate to expect a luthier to finance a commission or a purchase. I'd suggest you find other means to manage your finances.
Our beloved Luthiers have enough to do building. They don’t need to be a financial institution, IMHO….

Save your ducats and buy when you have the scratch. You will be more relaxed anyway….

And you need to figure out what you want, if you haven’t done so.

Best on amassing a nice guitar fund asap

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-16-2023, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Wow.
Sorry a few people here hammered you for hoping. Clearly it wasn’t a welcomed ask and you certainly shouldn’t have been made to feel like you must feel reading these responses.
Maybe someone out there will be willing to work with you and I hope they see your post.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Smile Sorry!

I did not mean to sound mean!

Here’s hoping you stumble over a big bag of cash, and can order ASAP!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-19-2023, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I think you are very unlikely to find a builder willing to entertain this kind of engagement. A builder is going to see risk because there is no way to guarantee you’ll come up with the funds to pay the balance. Which means they have to likely wait until you’ve paid the full price before they can start. Or they run the risk of upsetting their schedule if you can’t meet the payment terms.

From a practical standpoint, I’m not sure I understand how what you’re asking for differs from simply saving your own money over a 24 month period. Builders typically require a deposit to put you on their build list, and I doubt many (if any) will be willing to forego the deposit. Beyond that, a builder is not going to check up on your ability to pay the final balance - so why not simply save the balance in monthly installments on your own?
Old 03-19-2023, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Very simple solution!! No-brainer!
You commission the guitar after you've picked out the luthier of your choice, obviously a good one, and they all have wait times!
You pay the deposit, and then you probably have a wait time of 2 years to build (or more). You make monthly payments to him via PayPal or whatever, and by the time he's ready to build it, you've already paid him the full price!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 03-21-2023, 07:55 PM

Many better known luthiers have waiting times on their build times that are as long as 24 months or even longer. Some are much longer! However a luthier should not be chosen on that basis but rather on whether their guitars and tone profile fit what you are looking for.

I would further suggest that if your finances are not stable enough to be able to pay a deposit and to save up during the intervening period on the build list, that you compromise and buy a much cheaper guitar whether through the used market or an affordable factory guitar that will sound and play according to what you are looking for. No guitar is worth imperilling your financial situation and life for. On top of that, you get to try out the guitar before you buy which is something that is not available when you commission a guitar, and guitars do not always end up sounding like what you want them to especially if you never got a chance to even try out guitars made by the luthier of your choice. and you play that guitar.

Lastly, a guitar in hand is worth two in a luthier's build slot! It's about the music you play today that is more important.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I think you are very unlikely to find a builder willing to entertain this kind of engagement. A builder is going to see risk because there is no way to guarantee you’ll come up with the funds to pay the balance. Which means they have to likely wait until you’ve paid the full price before they can start. Or they run the risk of upsetting their schedule if you can’t meet the payment terms.

From a practical standpoint, I’m not sure I understand how what you’re asking for differs from simply saving your own money over a 24 month period. Builders typically require a deposit to put you on their build list, and I doubt many (if any) will be willing to forego the deposit. Beyond that, a builder is not going to check up on your ability to pay the final balance - so why not simply save the balance in monthly installments on your own?

This here is good advice.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Wow.
Sorry a few people here hammered you for hoping. Clearly it wasn’t a welcomed ask and you certainly shouldn’t have been made to feel like you must feel reading these responses.
Maybe someone out there will be willing to work with you and I hope they see your post.
I had a different reaction and felt the responses were not unkind, just variations of "no". "No" it seems, to me, would have have been an expected response as this was a likely outcome. Every guitarist I know has at one time in their life wanted a guitar on the threshold of their budget and most I assume can empathize with the OP. If so, my perspective is that the subsequent posters can be viewed with the assumption of positive intent.

Last edited by jmat; 03-27-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
I had a different reaction and felt the responses were not unkind, just variations of "no". "No" it seems, to me, would have have been an expected response as this was a likely outcome. Every guitarist I know has at one time in their life wanted a guitar on the threshold of their budget and most I assume can empathize with the OP. If so, my perspective is that the subsequent posters can be viewed with the assumption of positive intent.
Respected.
That said, the ask was clearly a here’s to hoping kind of request…most likely made by someone who isn’t deep into the hand built guitar world. There are different volumes of “no”, and no way to hear that with text. To be told “no” in any variation with what he was asking may of been deflating. Sure, he couldn’t be made to understand the standards or given some kind of tough truths…but why?

A few posters gave great advice, like maybe try and find a down payment and jump on a builders list. Then, make payments to yourself and you’ll be good when your slot comes up.

The fact that the OP hadn’t considered that again suggests he isn’t deep in the game…yet.

Was I being sensitive? Ya maybe. But there ya go.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop