The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-03-2023, 09:35 AM

Default Builder to commission for specific recreation (link inside)

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've long wanted to commission an acoustic guitar that captures the spirit of 1930s-1940s department store guitars. I stumbled across this performance by the Tallest Man on Earth, where he appears to be playing a rebuilt Kay: https://youtu.be/SHdVtUsTtPg

This guitar is more or less exactly what I want to commission. I love the all-hog, no-purfling ivoroid binding, bound soundhole, and shape. It would be super cool to have something very similar built.

I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas for where I should turn? I thought about Halcyon, and I'm still considering them, but they do wood binding only, which is not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm in the northeast now but moving to NC in the fall.

(Also happy if anybody knows of any guitars on the market that are similar already. I know waterloo makes something close, but I'm really looking for 000 or bigger - mino-jumbo size, ideally.)

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2023, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Harmony Remanufactured

A couple of resources that might be up your alley.

http://baxendaleguitar.com/harmony.html

https://staygoldguitars.com/collections/harmony
Old 03-03-2023, 12:07 PM

Why commission one when you can buy 5 or 10 originals for the same price?

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...ustic%20guitar
Old 03-03-2023, 12:19 PM

Buzzturner - thanks for the suggestion. I'm familiar with Baxendale's work and it's pretty cool - but I'd really like to buy something new and put my own miles on it. (I actually think there's a pretty cool baxendale available on AGF classifieds right now - just not quite what I'm looking for).
Old 03-13-2023, 07:17 AM

Hi! I'm David Newton and I restored/rebuilt the Kay that you referenced in your OP. The video really brings out the tone that came out of the guitar when I finished it.
I bought the guitar on Ebay at an unusually decent price and did quite a bit of upgrading to the guitar, mostly neck work. I sold the guitar to Scott, who did "guitar review work" at Retrofret Vintage Guitars in New York, where Kristian Matsson bought it.
As far as costs go, it was a case where the buying price + the restoration, I was able to make a profit when selling the finished guitar for a reasonable price.
By the way, I make my living doing restoration work, as well as building new, traditional, such as Gibson and Martin 30's, 40's, 50's style guitars. Old-time vibe, but are new and strong, light weight, great sounding and easy playing!
Thanks.

Mahogany L-0

Restored Kay at Retrofret

Kay on my bench

Last edited by Dave in Tejas; 03-13-2023 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:58 PM

Was it all the hot licks that did it?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop