The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-22-2023, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure waitresses and dancers are just thrilled when you come off the stage with your guitar.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
I'm sure waitresses and dancers are just thrilled when you come off the stage with your guitar.
You beat me to it. 'Thrilled' has not been my experience when I've dared to leave the stage wirelessly
Old 03-22-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Just curious as to why would you be assuming that, and also what this negativity based around guitar cord vs. wireless.

Just accept that wireless is here to stay.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 03-22-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
You beat me to it.
He beat you to the snark? LoL
Old 03-23-2023, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
He beat you to the snark? LoL
Relax Nama. I'm an ardent fan of wireless guitar systems. Servers and dancers are not typically a fan of my leaving the stage. Not snark, but humor, self deprecating at that so take it easy.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Relax Nama. I'm an ardent fan of wireless guitar systems. Servers and dancers are not typically a fan of my leaving the stage. Not snark, but humor, self deprecating at that so take it easy.
Assumed because of your reference to the other post, but you already made me laugh when I saw that and believe me, I'm at least as relaxed as you are now.

I leave the stage area when doing an acoustic solo to talk to customers and see if they'd like to hear anything. All of that depends fully upon where I'm playing of course and I still prefer not having the guitar cord even if I stay firmly planted in front of the mic all night.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Assumed because of your reference to the other post, but you already made me laugh when I saw that and believe me, I'm at least as relaxed as you are now.

I leave the stage area when doing an acoustic solo to talk to customers and see if they'd like to hear anything. All of that depends fully upon where I'm playing of course and I still prefer not having the guitar cord even if I stay firmly planted in front of the mic all night.
Well said! I'm considering better wireless options than the cheap one's I'm using at present. I too enjoy not having the chord but am finding that the inexpensive wireless systems color my guitar tone in ways I don't like!
Old 03-24-2023, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Well said! I'm considering better wireless options than the cheap one's I'm using at present. I too enjoy not having the chord but am finding that the inexpensive wireless systems color my guitar tone in ways I don't like!
I can't remember the names of the two systems I originally found to be tonally transparent, but they both went up for sale when I splurged for my first GLXD16, and a year later I got another to leave with my electric.
It was a lot of money, but then so has been just about every other piece of gear that I've got, and quite bit less then a few of them. Now that it's been years since I bought them, the price has long been forgotten about, but the satisfaction is there every time I use them. Worth it just for the sound and losing the cord, so the rechargeable transmitter and excellent tuner in the receiver are just icing on the cake.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't remember the names of the two systems I originally found to be tonally transparent, but they both went up for sale when I splurged for my first GLXD16, and a year later I got another to leave with my electric.
It was a lot of money, but then so has been just about every other piece of gear that I've got, and quite bit less then a few of them. Now that it's been years since I bought them, the price has long been forgotten about, but the satisfaction is there every time I use them. Worth it just for the sound and losing the cord, so the rechargeable transmitter and excellent tuner in the receiver are just icing on the cake.
Sounds like a good recommendation. Much like the multiple PA systems I own. Cry once, when you buy them, then be quite happy every time you use them thereafter! Rokdog and I are playing a small room with two Bose S1s this afternoon and expect to again be smiling at the great sound.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Actually, they really haven’t cared. Most of the patrons are amazed, trying to figure out “how does he do that?”

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-25-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Actually, they really haven’t cared. Most of the patrons are amazed, trying to figure out “how does he do that?”
It seems ironic to me that almost everyone is so used to cell phones and watches that let them talk and read the news, but they can't understand how they can hear sound from the speakers when you're playing from across the room during a sound check.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It seems ironic to me that almost everyone is so used to cell phones and watches that let them talk and read the news, but they can't understand how they can hear sound from the speakers when you're playing from across the room during a sound check.
Rokdog may be referring to the audience at one of our recent assisted living gigs. They're not among the rest of folks who are used to cell phones and watches that talk to them!
Old 03-26-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Rokdog may be referring to the audience at one of our recent assisted living gigs. They're not among the rest of folks who are used to cell phones and watches that talk to them!
Yeah, but at least they've been listening to the radio ever since they were born! Well, probably most of them anyway!

It's okay though, there's lots of simple things outside my own experience that I'm surprised to find out about, so fair turnaround I guess.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Really? Amazed? I can recall when most guitarists in my area went wireless.

Everybody knew about it. First guy I ever saw who went out into the audience was Angus Young. Back on their first support tour with Aerosmith. I think in the late 70's.

They were booed by the way.

In my experience. When gigging in a packed club. Coming off the stage with my guitar, with full dance floor. And waitresses trying to navigate them.

Then having to deal with me out there too. Guitar in hand.

Well let's just say it didn't go too well. I would still do it now and then. Considering alcohol intake.

But trust me, even though some may think it's cool. For the most part, they don't.

And, first time you whack someone in the back of the head, giving new meaning to "headstock."

You will begin to rethink your actions.

But have fun.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Really? Amazed? I can recall when most guitarists in my area went wireless.

Everybody knew about it. First guy I ever saw who went out into the audience was Angus Young. Back on their first support tour with Aerosmith. I think in the late 70's.

They were booed by the way.

In my experience. When gigging in a packed club. Coming off the stage with my guitar, with full dance floor. And waitresses trying to navigate them.

Then having to deal with me out there too. Guitar in hand.

Well let's just say it didn't go too well. I would still do it now and then. Considering alcohol intake.

But trust me, even though some may think it's cool. For the most part, they don't.

And, first time you whack someone in the back of the head, giving new meaning to "headstock."

You will begin to rethink your actions.

But have fun.
They were booed? What kind of audiences were they playing for that would care that much? That's honestly terrible.

I think it's very venue dependent. I wouldn't do it at the main bar I play at but we are also on an elevated stage with a loud sound system, playing for 200+ people. Having said that, one time the sound man thought we were done our last set and cut the mains and walked away. The crowd wanted me so we unplugged, walked into the crowd and simply played acoustic for three songs. The crowd literally loved it.

I think if you are forcing it just to be cool then it's probably not going to work, but I can see a lot of times where it could work, especially at smaller venues.

As for Angus Young, him going out into the audience is still incredible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification