The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-27-2023, 06:03 PM

Default Tom Ribbecke

Hello to all ..
Wondering if any can help me with a working contact info for Tom Ribbecke . I tired the two phone numbers I was able to locate on line and neither one works , no active website . Has he retired? I have one of his gorgeous creations : the Hafling with a floating bridge " which has been in its case for quite sometime .. I feel that the neck angle needs to be adjusted and I most certainly dont want to experiment with such a guitar . I cant tell if his necks are meant to be adjusted ala Taylor bolt on necks with no glue or not . I see two bolts aligned with the heel of the neck inside the body but thats all I see .

Another option for embers in Miami .. if there is a luthier or guitar tech whom you can recommend for such a guitar I would greatly appreciate it .

Thank you too all ,
Max
Bourgeois SJ Hog/Adi
SCGC 000-NB
SCGC H13
SCGC 00 Walnut/Adir
SCGC OMC 42
Langejans GC
Larrivee D10 ca 1995 Claro Walnut
Taylor GC all KOA ( SOLD )
Old 02-27-2023, 06:24 PM

Maxworks,
When I was looking to find a local luthier who knew his you know what I was turned on to Scott Ritter at [email protected].
I spoke to Scott about doing some work on my older SCGCs and doing a refret on my 30 year old Martin HD-28.
He comes highly reccommended by several long term local guitar shops.
This is only a suggestion as I have not used him but he was a friend and sometime worker with my old( and much missed) luthir Ross Tiegen.
Scott is in Bonita Springs not far from my house....abit of a drive from Miami but "no price on the right person" for your wonderful collection.
I wish that the better botique shops might research and certify independent Luthiers, not just thier dealers , it get expensive to send back to SCGC to do refrets, neck resets ,etc.
Contact me if you're ever over on "The Best Coast" of Fl.. Would love to see some of your instruments.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 02-27-2023, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Hi Max,

I sent you a PM. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFox View Post
Maxworks,
When I was looking to find a local luthier who knew his you know what I was turned on to Scott Ritter at [email protected].
I spoke to Scott about doing some work on my older SCGCs and doing a refret on my 30 year old Martin HD-28.
He comes highly reccommended by several long term local guitar shops.
This is only a suggestion as I have not used him but he was a friend and sometime worker with my old( and much missed) luthir Ross Tiegen.
Scott is in Bonita Springs not far from my house....abit of a drive from Miami but "no price on the right person" for your wonderful collection.
I wish that the better botique shops might research and certify independent Luthiers, not just thier dealers , it get expensive to send back to SCGC to do refrets, neck resets ,etc.
Contact me if you're ever over on "The Best Coast" of Fl.. Would love to see some of your instruments.
Thank you so much . I sent Scott and email and will let you know how it goes . And yes when I visit the " Better" coast I sure will let you know , best regards, Max
Bourgeois SJ Hog/Adi
SCGC 000-NB
SCGC H13
SCGC 00 Walnut/Adir
SCGC OMC 42
Langejans GC
Old 02-28-2023, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

You might consider reaching out to one of Toms apprentices, who are each outstanding luthiers in their own right - Maegen Wells, or ( not related) Tyler Wells - Maegen is at maegenwellsguitars.com , Tyler is at LHTguitars.com. I’m sure either could help with your Halfling - I’ve spent a bit of time with one of Tylers guitars, and still regret not buying it - he builds an outstanding instrument. I’ve not had the opportunity to spend time with one of Maegens, but I know a couple of very accomplished players who have them.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:19 PM

Thank you to all for your help , I havent been able to reach the apprentices I am sure they have their hands full ..nonetheless I spent quite bit of time going over the guitar with a Guitar Tech at one of two boutiques guitar shops in Miami who was excellent and methodical n his approach , we adjusted the truss rod more tan I was comfortable doing on my own and sure enough the action went down but we both agreed that given that the saddle was all the way down we shouldnt that we shouldnt rely on the truss to lower the action , and given that teh two bolts aligned with the neck heel are most likely pointing to a bolt on neck wether it is also glued or not we cant know till we try removing the neck . So we will take our time protecting the guitar ( the only access to these two bolts are through the oval hole on the upper bout ) and we decided to stop and re- assess if its glued or we can be lucky and it is using a similar method to the Taylor Neck attachment .. although i am almost certain that Tom Ribbecke finesses that joint to another extreme .. will kep everyone posted , Thank you all for your help, advise and support, Max
Bourgeois SJ Hog/Adi
SCGC 000-NB
SCGC H13
SCGC 00 Walnut/Adir
SCGC OMC 42
Langejans GC
Old 03-07-2023, 03:09 AM

Default ribbecke

You have a bolt on neck secured by the two bolts, there is no glue. Ribbecke accesses the bolts by removing the endpin jack (it is just held in with friction with no bolt inside) and uses an allen wrench welded to a long rod to reach the bolts. I can't remember the size. You can access through the sound port but it is difficult.

you can reach Tom via his FB page.

The guitar is a 25" scale so take care when moving the floating bridge it affects intonation.

Last edited by rd boyda; 03-07-2023 at 10:03 AM. Reason: contact info
Old 03-07-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd boyda View Post
You have a bolt on neck secured by the two bolts, there is no glue. Ribbecke accesses the bolts by removing the endpin jack (it is just held in with friction with no bolt inside) and uses an allen wrench welded to a long rod to reach the bolts. I can't remember the size. You can access through the sound port but it is difficult.

you can reach Tom via his FB page.

The guitar is a 25" scale so take care when moving the floating bridge it affects intonation.
rd boyda , Thank you so very much , Tom Ribbecke did in fact called me and he was such a gentleman , not that I would expect anything else , he did in fact confirm the sth neck is adjustable , he did mention something about a special tool which he made for that but we mainly discussed the option of sending the guitar to him vs adjusting it locally , given taht I am all th easy on the other side of the country , we re giving a chance to adjusting it locally .. the guitar is till with my guitar tech , he is trying to find a way to access these bolts the the sound hole , but of course its tight and he is being extra careful to protect the edges of the sound hole and the top. I would have never thought that it would be accessible through the end pin ..WOW .. that would for sure entail some long extension ..I am wondering if a long slim 1/4" ratchet wrench would do the job through the sound hole. Also , can I ask you , ( which I forgot to ask Tom ) are there meant to be shims to adjust the neck angle ? Or ? I heard that Taylor guitars come with one or two shims for that purpose but not sure if the Hafling does or not . if you have the chance can you please let me know . Thank you again for your courtesy and help
Bourgeois SJ Hog/Adi
SCGC 000-NB
SCGC H13
SCGC 00 Walnut/Adir
SCGC OMC 42
Langejans GC
Old 03-07-2023, 09:57 PM

shims aren't the answer. they are never the answer.

Yes, the extension to reach the bolts is the length of the body of the guitar, but it works. going through the sound hole is difficult because of the angle.

The adjustable bridge being completely grounded without any means for adjustment indicates the neck angle is wrong.

Sending the guitar across country to repair is costly and time consuming and dangerous. Shipping a guitar should be the very last resort and your repair doesn't fit the need to ship and spend hundreds of dollars. You have the talent and experience in your area to repair this.

Tom should be able to walk your tech and luthier through all the options for repair.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
shims aren't the answer. they are never the answer.

Yes, the extension to reach the bolts is the length of the body of the guitar, but it works. going through the sound hole is difficult because of the angle.

The adjustable bridge being completely grounded without any means for adjustment indicates the neck angle is wrong.

Sending the guitar across country to repair is costly and time consuming and dangerous. Shipping a guitar should be the very last resort and your repair doesn't fit the need to ship and spend hundreds of dollars. You have the talent and experience in your area to repair this.

Tom should be able to walk your tech and luthier through all the options for repair.
Thank you RD seems that youre quite familiar with the Ribbecke Design , I am waiting to each him later oaths afternoon , but you say no shims, with which I totally agree , I am wondering though how then? To my knowledge the only left option is shaving the pocket or the the necks tenon ..anything else unless the two bolts act together as the means of angle change.
Bourgeois SJ Hog/Adi
SCGC 000-NB
SCGC H13
SCGC 00 Walnut/Adir
SCGC OMC 42
Langejans GC
Old 03-10-2023, 08:24 AM

yes, reseting the neck would require the neck removed and changing the angle. Tom can run you through or your luthier/tech through the procedure. A shim would leave a very unsightly gap. From your description it just seems the angle of the neck is causing the action to be high and the bridge to be bottomed out. If you lay a straight edge on the frets and extend it to the bridge you can physically see how the angle of the neck will lower the action and raise the bridge at the same time. This will give you some sense of what needs to be done.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:25 AM

also, the bolts do not change the angle. they simply hold the neck in place..
Old 03-10-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
yes, reseting the neck would require the neck removed and changing the angle. Tom can run you through or your luthier/tech through the procedure. A shim would leave a very unsightly gap. From your description it just seems the angle of the neck is causing the action to be high and the bridge to be bottomed out. If you lay a straight edge on the frets and extend it to the bridge you can physically see how the angle of the neck will lower the action and raise the bridge at the same time. This will give you some sense of what needs to be done.
Thats exactly what I did and that how i knew its the angle and not the truss rod , a straight edge over the fretboard hits around 3/16" below the top of the saddle and a thats when its all the way down on the bridge .. little severe in my opinion I continue to try to reach Tom I haven't been able to reach him since i spoke to hi that one time , I'm sure I will connect with him soon ..Thank you for your continued help nd support will everyone posted
Bourgeois SJ Hog/Adi
SCGC 000-NB
SCGC H13
SCGC 00 Walnut/Adir
SCGC OMC 42
Langejans GC
Old 03-15-2023, 11:49 PM

resetting the neck is straight forward. it can be done by a qualified luthier and you have many in your area.

Last edited by rd boyda; 03-16-2023 at 04:03 AM. Reason: clarification

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
archtop, hafling, ribbecke