The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-24-2023, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Builders particularly 'famed' for 00 sized instruments.

I tend to think that most builders have one or two body sizes that they are most known for where they also receive the most orders.

Curious if there are builders particularly know for 00 sized instruments, say roughly 14.5" lower bout widths. And why are they known for that...

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

For a particular name in guitars of this size, the ones that come to mind immediately for me are Ed Claxton and his Malabar (14.75 inch) and Ray Kraut and his 00 (14.375 inch). Haven’t played the Kraut 00 yet but I have played the Malabar and it is a stunning instrument; intimate and comfortable but with a rich, full sound. If it wasn't BRW, I'd have that pre-owned Malabar currently for sale at Luthier's Collection.

Last edited by colins; 02-25-2023 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:27 AM

I agree fully with Colins. I have played or owned great guitars made by many of the famous names in lutherie over the years. The maple malabar I have now is perhaps the best of all of them and my favourite of all of them. It hits all the spots for being the best fingerstyle guitar I have ever played and has no weakness I can discern with my limited abilities which are far far below the level of my guitar! I would note though rhat the malabar is said by claxton himself to be a 00 and a half sized guitar so it may be a little bigger than a true 00 sized guitar. However I find that it is the perfect size for me - being the most comfortable in size match up to me being not too small and not too big and having enough volume not to lack for power compared to a OOO or OM as far as I can tell.

Another luthier who is known for making great OO guitats is Circa guitars. I haven't played a circa 00 personally though I have owned an OM before, but his maple OO guitar is especially praised by those in rbe know.

Last edited by gitarro; 02-25-2023 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:13 AM

Definitely expensive, but Jeff Traugott makes an incredible 00.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

A classic Nazareth 00 12 fret instrument is 14-1/4” at the lower bout. There are a number of builders of 00 sized guitars that I would recommend that you consider:

- Michael Bashkin (The 00) of Fort Collins, CO makes evolved traditional guitars

- Mark Blanchard (Pinyon) of Crowley Lakes, CA makes modern guitars

- Bruce Sexauer (FT-00) of Petaluma, CA makes both traditional & evolved traditional guitars. This is my 0-12, but Bruce makes fabulous 00s.

Depending on your preference and budget, I might recommend some over others. All build fine instruments. All are actively building and taking commissions. Ed Claxton (Malabar) I believe may have withdrawn from taking on new commissions at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
I tend to think that most builders have one or two body sizes that they are most known for where they also receive the most orders.

Curious if there are builders particularly know for 00 sized instruments, say roughly 14.5" lower bout widths. And why are they known for that...

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 02-26-2023 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Well, you should consider a 00 by Steve Kinnaird or Mark Hatcher…I have one of each and they have great sound, and a depth of tone that is really pleasing to me. Of course they are works of art as well!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 02-25-2023, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Smile Kraut 00

I second Colin's vote for Raymond Kraut's 00. My Kraut 00 is an amazing guitar in every aspect: build quality, playability, responsiveness, and certainly tone. If I could only have one guitar, this would be it.

Currently, Ray has a stunning, pre-owned maple 00 for sale on his website:
https://www.krautguitars.com/for-sal...-cutaway-model

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 02-25-2023, 12:22 PM

Agree with all of the above. I really like the 00 size and have owned many. I'll suggest a builder most are probably not familiar with, but imho he is an exceptional builder and his 00 is probably his bread and butter.

Gary Branzell is the builder. Here's a link to his "Tone Top" model, which is his 00. You can also check Guitar Gallery for more info.

https://branzellguitars.com/acoustic-guitars/tone-top/
Old 02-25-2023, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I have a Ted Thompson T2X and T2. Both are great instruments and I feel are not given the attention they deserve. As a result if you can find them the price point is often a bit more reasonable as well.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

John Slobod ( Circa Guitars) is very well known for his 00 guitars with a 12 fret neck joint.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

"Famed" 00's, the two that are "famed in my mind" were Charlie Hoffman's long scale 14-fret 00 (which has a shallow body) and Martin's Tim O'Brien model which was also a long scale 14-fret 00.

Leo Posch also makes a wonderful 00. Mine has a 12-fret body style with a 13th fret neck join, long scale. I assume if it was a 14 fret body style it'd be in my "famed" category as well.

I'd sure like to try a Jimmy Caldwell 00.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-26-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Traphagen…..primarily a classical builder but his 00 steel strings are off the charts….plain and simple….

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 02-25-2023, 07:09 PM

I recently played an Santa Cruz Eric Skye model but with Brazilian back and sides that was the best 00 I've heard.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

If you like clean lines, impeccable craftsmanship and beautiful sound, then consider Ted Astrand’s 00. Also, GR Bear makes a beautiful 00 with great sound/acoustics…

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 02-25-2023, 09:23 PM

Jimmy Caldwell of Austin, Texas built me a stellar 00 14 fret with Madagascar Rosewood and Red Spruce and I understand that he's going to be doing more building in the near future. I would not hesitate to get in touch and get on his list--he's really, really good!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop