The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-28-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
My daughter in law loves her. They are going to a music festival in the northwest to see her this summer some time. I think she organizes the whole event.
She is doing a three day stand at the Gorge Amphitheater, with a bunch of special guests. Joni Mitchell. The Highwomen. Killer shows, very likely.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Funny... I somehow got Brandi Carlisle confused with the Belinda Carlisle (of the Go-Go's?), and pretty much ignored any listening of her music...

Until, someone posted the link to her doing "Madman Across The Water" on the Howard Stern show... I was KNOCKED OUT by that performance! Really well done and arranged, I thought.

Since then, I've heard a bunch more of her stuff; she's very good, and I love how she's "championing" Joni Mitchell into a bit of a comeback to performing...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-01-2023, 01:35 PM

Her rendition of Elton John's "60 Years On" is beyond great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLfd-Kyunvc
Old 03-01-2023, 06:00 PM

She’s a marvel….

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-01-2023, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Funny... I somehow got Brandi Carlisle confused with the Belinda Carlisle (of the Go-Go's?), and pretty much ignored any listening of her music...

Until, someone posted the link to her doing "Madman Across The Water" on the Howard Stern show... I was KNOCKED OUT by that performance! Really well done and arranged, I thought.

Since then, I've heard a bunch more of her stuff; she's very good, and I love how she's "championing" Joni Mitchell into a bit of a comeback to performing...
The irony of that is that, according to the story she told at the Capitol the other night, she was not a fan of Joni Mitchell for many, many years, and it was her wife’s love of Joni Mitchell that turned her around. I wish I could have recorded all of her stories—they were as entertaining as her music.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
The irony of that is that, according to the story she told at the Capitol the other night, she was not a fan of Joni Mitchell for many, many years, and it was her wife’s love of Joni Mitchell that turned her around. I wish I could have recorded all of her stories—they were as entertaining as her music.
I heard her tell a story that her (then) girlfriend, now wife, LOVED Joni Mitchell's music... and when Brandi said she didn't really care for her stuff, her girlfriend told her that THAT would be a dealbreaker, that she couldn't possibly be with someone who didn't "get" the depth of Mitchell's music... so Brandi dug into it, and found what she'd been missing...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-02-2023, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Wow, no WOW. Great performance of Madmen by a great band. Brandi is impressive. Great drummer as well. That was my introduction to her. Thank you!
Old 03-02-2023, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I heard her tell a story that her (then) girlfriend, now wife, LOVED Joni Mitchell's music... and when Brandi said she didn't really care for her stuff, her girlfriend told her that THAT would be a dealbreaker, that she couldn't possibly be with someone who didn't "get" the depth of Mitchell's music... so Brandi dug into it, and found what she'd been missing...
That’s basically the exact same story! I think they each had a favorite album to share with the other, and Katherine (who then wasn’t really her girlfriend, iirc they had just met) chose Joni Mitchell’s Blue. BC had some other funny comments about Joni Mitchell that I would butcher if I tried to retell them.

Here is an excerpt from the event details that describes the upcoming concerts:

Quote:
Following the solo dates, Carlile will hold her inaugural “Mothership Weekend” in Miramar Beach, FL May 12-14. A Mother’s Day celebration, the three-day festival will feature performances from Carlile, Hozier, Bonnie Raitt, Mavis Staples, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, Danielle Ponder, The Milk Carton Kids, Katie Pruitt and Fancy Hagood. Additionally, Carlile’s once-in-a-lifetime “Echoes Through the Canyon” weekend will take place at Washington’s Gorge Amphitheatre this June. The three-night run kicks off Friday, June 9 with Carlile’s annual headline concert with special guests Marcus Mumford and Allison Russell, followed by legendary artist Joni Mitchell’s “Joni Jam” Saturday, June 10 with Carlile opening. The final night, June 11, will feature The Highwomen with special guest Tanya Tucker. Furthermore, Carlile will join P!NK on her “Summer Carnival 2023” stadium tour later in the year. See below for complete itinerary.
It’s not clear from the write-up that Joni Mitchell will perform at the Gorge Amphitheatre, or just the musicians who perform at Joni Jam.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN