The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-16-2023, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Genre(s) Please?

Curious lately about what genre some artists/groups fall under. Perhaps more than one? I just found the artist in the YouTube video I posted. I've gotten into bluegrass a lot lately and was drawn to a video I saw of her where she was playing a mandolin backed up by a fiddle and a standup bass and thought bluegrass but the more I listen to her work? Others include Gillian Welch, the Dave Rawlings Machine and The Punch Bros.

Thoughts?

Thanks..

https://youtu.be/dqGe2MOErlE
Old 02-16-2023, 11:37 AM

Might call it Americana.

Here's some more. Sierra Ferrell doing "The Sea," and playing the saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikw9cE2WwIo&loop=0

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 02-16-2023, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Might call it Americana.

Here's some more. Sierra Ferrell doing "The Sea," and playing the saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikw9cE2WwIo&loop=0
Yeah, she's another one. Excellent!
Old 02-16-2023, 11:42 AM

Genres are helpful...until they're not.

Americana works for me. It definitely evokes a sound, or an aesthetic, in my head. Its also a pretty broad scope, but it makes sense...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 02-16-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:15 PM

Another vote for Americana.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. I agree Genres are general and to be used cautiously. These (Americana and Bluegrass etc.) are very new to me and I'm trying to discern the distinctions. Wondering where Roots music fits or not?
Old 02-16-2023, 02:13 PM

+1 on Americana Music
Old 02-16-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashondan2018 View Post
Thanks. I agree Genres are general and to be used cautiously. These (Americana and Bluegrass etc.) are very new to me and I'm trying to discern the distinctions. Wondering where Roots music fits or not?
It's a continuum. If you can't hear the differences now, keep listening.

And keep playing. That's way more important than classifying.

Last edited by frankmcr; 02-16-2023 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:21 PM
Musical minimalist

For about 40 years now, I've been lumping most of the stuff I listen to into "new acoustic music"

Just easier that way....

Old 02-16-2023, 09:33 PM

Sarah Jarosz started out as a child prodigy mandolin player about twenty years ago and her music was solidly in the bluegrass world back then. Her music has steadily evolved since then. Her bluegrass influences still show, but her music has grown into her own thing, which I would put into the Americana genre. All the others you mentioned are generally described as Americana too, although Gillian Welch's music is sometimes put in the "old time" music category for whatever that's worth.

Bands/musicians that get put into the Americana genre cover such a wide range of styles now that it's almost to the point of not being helpful anymore for giving you an idea of what to expect from an "Americana" band you haven't heard before, IMO.

Here's a good definition of the genre:
Americana, as defined by the Americana Music Association (AMA), is "contemporary music that incorporates elements of various American roots music styles, including country, roots-rock, folk, bluegrass, R&B and blues, resulting in a distinctive roots-oriented sound that lives in a world apart from the pure forms of the genres upon which it may draw. While acoustic instruments are often present and vital, Americana also often uses a full electric band."

I think the most important part of that definition is: "a distinctive roots-oriented sound that lives in a world apart from the pure forms of the genres upon which it may draw."

Check out this video of Sarah Jarosz holding her own on mandolin alongside David Grisman and Ronny McCoury. I think she was just 17 when this video was made.

Old 02-18-2023, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post
Sarah Jarosz started out as a child prodigy mandolin player about twenty years ago and her music was solidly in the bluegrass world back then. Her music has steadily evolved since then. Her bluegrass influences still show, but her music has grown into her own thing, which I would put into the Americana genre. All the others you mentioned are generally described as Americana too, although Gillian Welch's music is sometimes put in the "old time" music category for whatever that's worth.

Bands/musicians that get put into the Americana genre cover such a wide range of styles now that it's almost to the point of not being helpful anymore for giving you an idea of what to expect from an "Americana" band you haven't heard before, IMO.

Here's a good definition of the genre:
Americana, as defined by the Americana Music Association (AMA), is "contemporary music that incorporates elements of various American roots music styles, including country, roots-rock, folk, bluegrass, R&B and blues, resulting in a distinctive roots-oriented sound that lives in a world apart from the pure forms of the genres upon which it may draw. While acoustic instruments are often present and vital, Americana also often uses a full electric band."

I think the most important part of that definition is: "a distinctive roots-oriented sound that lives in a world apart from the pure forms of the genres upon which it may draw."

Check out this video of Sarah Jarosz holding her own on mandolin alongside David Grisman and Ronny McCoury. I think she was just 17 when this video was made.

Great video, thanks. I also appreciate the Americana definition,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN