The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-12-2023, 04:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just a couple of more shots from this week. I wasn't working with my camera hand much, but I did take a few shots.

Here is the D-28 freetop getting some Chiladni testing. I use poppy seeds (when I have them) as I like they way they roll around. In my double X-braced guitars, the pattern is a bit more closed, circular and semetrical. I expected this and although this picture does not show the final pattern after I finished carving, it is representative of what I saw.

Here are the tops braced

The tops glued to the rims

I did finish "boxing" up the D-28, but haven't taken a photo yet. Perhaps I can get the OM "boxed-up" tomorrow and take some shots then.
Old 02-17-2023, 05:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Got the bodies boxed up the other day. Hopefully I will get to the binding this morning, we will see as today is shaping up to be one of those days full of distractions.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:19 AM

Good to see you back. Looking forward to seeing these progress.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Good luck with those distractions. I presume plastic bindings?
And if so, what sort of glue will you be using?

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 02-18-2023, 07:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Caldwell View Post
Good to see you back. Looking forward to seeing these progress.
Thanks Jimmy, its been a while. Hope to see you in person again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Good luck with those distractions. I presume plastic bindings?
And if so, what sort of glue will you be using?

Steve
I guess celluloid is plastic, so yes I will be using plastic. Trying to stay close to tradition. I think I read somewhere that wood bindings were a cheaper (less expensive option) ... not sure when the time frame was. I guess it is a material cost thing as wood bindings (for me) are a lot more work.

As far as glue goes, I will be using the StewMac Bind-All solvent glue. (It is probably just a Duco product although StewMac has a trademark on it.)

... and for the distractions, yup many of them. I am glad I am able to help out my daughter and she is in the process of selling her house. She has done much of the work, but I have a few more projects to wrap-up before she gets it on the market. In the meantime I did manage to get the channels routed, but still need to clear the channel for the wedge shaped end graft. Hopefully I can carve out a few minutes today to get the grafts installed so the glue has time to dry before I move onto getting the bindings in place.
Old 03-03-2023, 06:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have been busy in the shop with the Vintage Series and a couple of other builds. I am also actively in the design phase of a tube amp although that is still quite a ways off from the actual build. I am doing quite a bit of circuit simulation which is fun but time consuming.

On the acoustic side, I have been working on some process stuff too. I have my take on OM on the bench. My OM differs from the Vintage Series slightly in dimension and incorporates a more modern approach to the build including, a double x-brace on the top, radial bracing on the back, double sides, a composite bridge patch, my "stealth" truss rod cover, I often will use "alternate" woods than your typical Adirondack. Mahogany/Rosewood combos.

I am working up a 00-12 both with the vintage approach and the modern approach. Currently I am reworking the molds and both approaches will mimic the 00 (body) dimensions of the prewar stuff.

Here are a couple of shots of my OM in the process. In this shot the quilted mahogany double side(s) are getting bonded:

Here is the rim just about ready to get the top and back:

The quilted mahogany getting prepared for the back bracing:

I hope to wrap up the rosette later today ... we'll see. Although I was raking a couple of weeks ago, we are dealing with winter again in the northeast. My driveway is a mess and we got a storm coming tonight.
Old 03-03-2023, 03:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Managed to finish up the Rosette (well still needs a final scraping but that will come just before finish.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Awesome rosette John. I like the small crosses between the diamonds. Thats a nice touch.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Awesome rosette John. I like the small crosses between the diamonds. Thats a nice touch.
Thanks Tim, I was going to go with the usual "ball" dot, but then decided on those crosses, They were supposed to be the "typical" diamond squares with the cross hatch in them, but they ended up looking more like a cross. I just went with it.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

The bigger diamond at the top is really just a filler that will end up under the fretboard. I must of been off slightly on the math and ended up with a gap there. I was just practicing in case i ever decided to let a rosette carry all the way around and leave the fretboard a little shorter to show the middle ring. Not on this one, although that was really in the plans anyway.
Old 03-04-2023, 04:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
Thanks Tim, I was going to go with the usual "ball" dot, but then decided on those crosses, They were supposed to be the "typical" diamond squares with the cross hatch in them, but they ended up looking more like a cross. I just went with it.
I always liked your diamond dot rosettes John but I think this one is a notch above. It’s very classy in a simplistic kind of way. Well done!
Is your dark background epoxy?
Old 03-04-2023, 04:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey John, I am also glad to see you back at it and always anticipated seeing your work. You were always in my books, on the cutting edge of things, trying new ways of doing things. I would say I have learned a thing or two from you. In regards to the shoulders, been there as well, not a good thing to deal with. I have something going wrong with my right arm, no idea what it is up to this point. Age they say! Not liking it much!! Keep up the great work, at this point, I think your going to out pace me!
Old 03-04-2023, 05:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I always liked your diamond dot rosettes John but I think this one is a notch above. It’s very classy in a simplistic kind of way. Well done!
Is your dark background epoxy?
Thanks again Tim, The background is rosewood, (with a some rosewood dust filler shhhh)
Old 03-04-2023, 05:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kwasnycia View Post
Hey John, I am also glad to see you back at it and always anticipated seeing your work. You were always in my books, on the cutting edge of things, trying new ways of doing things. I would say I have learned a thing or two from you. In regards to the shoulders, been there as well, not a good thing to deal with. I have something going wrong with my right arm, no idea what it is up to this point. Age they say! Not liking it much!! Keep up the great work, at this point, I think your going to out pace me!
Thanks Dennis, I don't know about the out pace part unless you are talking about the old bones part. I hope your arm gets better. I am right handed, well I was till this stupid shoulder thing. I call it my right arm my t-rex arm cuz I can't reach very far with it. I have figured out how to do most things, but the workarounds take a lot more time. Arghhh. Ok nuff of the old-man talk.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

It has been a little while since I updated this thread. I am not all the great of taking photos of the process but do occaisonally take a shot or two. I have been busy in the shop but lost two days of shop time to the snowstorm that put over 30" of snow on my property. Loss of power didn't help the situation. At least I am not distracted by raking the yard.

Besides the Vintage Series D-28 and OM-18, I have couple of others on the bench. The are my take on an OM and my take on a 00 twelve fret. Below are couple of shots of the 00 that has Black Limba back and sides and Canadian White Spruce Top. I will be making a Vintage Series 00 twelve fret in Mahogany sporting a 42 style, but I need to make some progress on the other stuff first.

Here are a couple shots of the 00-12. First up is the back the back reinforcement strip glued in place.

Here is the rim in a "new" mold. The cross temporary dowels are just holding a little of the slack against the sides of the mold.

The next shots are of the rosette. I tend to like small rings, so I sometimes go with it. The "crosses" are really little squares with a slot in each of the 4 sides similar to the diamonds that often end up on fretboards. I think there is 91 on them there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop