The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-12-2023, 07:54 AM

The aesthetic of your instruments really is spot on for me.

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 02-24-2023, 02:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Wow, what a beautiful instrument. Way to get going here!

Cheers

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPhil View Post
The aesthetic of your instruments really is spot on for me.
Cheers guys.

Everybody's enthusiasm here for my work gives me a great deal of inspiration for the future.

So thank you to all
Facebook
Instagram
Old 02-27-2023, 07:08 AM

It's a lovely looking guitar!

I'm curious about the picture where you show "Bog Oak on the outside, Red Cedar kerfed core & Cherry on the inside". I don't know much about guitar building, but is this a different construction method than most acoustics? I imagined acoustics had a single skin of wood on the sides, but this one seems to have a double layer (bog oak and cherry) with a cavity, or lengths of red cedar beween them. If it's different from the norm, I'd love to know why it's used it here, and what its benefits are.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:43 AM

I'm sure Oska will weigh in here, but this construction technique is called by the colloquial name of "double-side construction." The idea is to make the sides extremely rigid, so that the sides just reflect more sound. It has the added benefit of making the guitar somewhat structurally stronger. This technique has been around quite a long time, and it seems more makers are investigating and using it. If you to go oska's website, oskaburmanguitars.com, and click on the facebook link, you can see quite detailed pictures of the process. I'm interested in this, as a player not as a builder, because Oska is currently building me two OM models, and I am intrigued by the whole idea of how guitars built with double sides will sound. I'll find out about next fall, I reckon.
Old 03-01-2023, 03:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
It's a lovely looking guitar!

I'm curious about the picture where you show "Bog Oak on the outside, Red Cedar kerfed core & Cherry on the inside". I don't know much about guitar building, but is this a different construction method than most acoustics? I imagined acoustics had a single skin of wood on the sides, but this one seems to have a double layer (bog oak and cherry) with a cavity, or lengths of red cedar beween them. If it's different from the norm, I'd love to know why it's used it here, and what its benefits are.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
I'm sure Oska will weigh in here, but this construction technique is called by the colloquial name of "double-side construction." The idea is to make the sides extremely rigid, so that the sides just reflect more sound. It has the added benefit of making the guitar somewhat structurally stronger. This technique has been around quite a long time, and it seems more makers are investigating and using it. If you to go oska's website, oskaburmanguitars.com, and click on the facebook link, you can see quite detailed pictures of the process. I'm interested in this, as a player not as a builder, because Oska is currently building me two OM models, and I am intrigued by the whole idea of how guitars built with double sides will sound. I'll find out about next fall, I reckon.
You will find that this method of side construction is used by many luthiers these days. The basic principal is to create a set of sides with both rigidity & mass. This will help maximise the sound production of the top, as the energy from the strings will not be lost in the vibrating sides. There are similar methods of side construction in acoustic guitars that have been around for decades, colloquially known as laminated or double sides. These are generally two or more layers of solid wood sides (sometimes including veneers) and their intended function is essentially the same.
Facebook
Instagram
Old 03-02-2023, 05:41 AM

Thanks very much for the explanations.

I'm less than 200 miles from Oska, so I'm interested in finding out more...
Old 03-13-2023, 01:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
Thanks very much for the explanations.

I'm less than 200 miles from Oska, so I'm interested in finding out more...
Not a problem. Hopefully we can arrange a visit later this month, or soon therafter.
Facebook
Instagram
Old 04-08-2023, 02:51 AM

I played this OM on Wednesday and it is a very nice instrument. Visually, the bog oak is remarkable - it's very dark, as you see in the photos, but also full of pattern and grain that is hard to capture on camera.

Sonically, the guitar is full of clarity with a very even tone throughout the range. The sound is full and projects like a jumbo, not what you might expect from an OM body.

If you are in the market for a relatively inexpensive custom guitar, I suggest Oska should be on your radar.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Finished Pictures

So here they are - the finished OM pictures.

This was one of the toughest photoshoots I've ever done. Shiny Bog Oak is just like trying to photograph a black mirror! I've read people's gripes about African Blackwood being the same and they're not wrong! It has so many colours & patterns in the grain, but as soon as you shine a light on it, it wants to reflect the whole room.

The reason that I included the very last photo was because it really showed the Bog Oak's stunning figure - which was taken on my workshop bench as I was setting the guitar up and the low, late afternoon winter/spring Scottish sun caught the guitar in all of its glory.

(A demo recording will follow in the coming weeks...)

Facebook
Instagram

Last edited by Oska Burman; 04-09-2023 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Looks great, Oska!
Old 04-09-2023, 12:10 AM

Lovely looking guitar
Old 04-09-2023, 01:00 AM

What a stunning guitar that is Oska.

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 04-10-2023, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Yowzah--that looks awesome!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:07 AM

I agree with the sentiments above. I keep coming back to these pics. What a beautiful guitar Oska! The oak accents are the crowing touch!
Old 04-23-2023, 02:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Looks great, Oska!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Lovely looking guitar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPhil View Post
What a stunning guitar that is Oska.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Yowzah--that looks awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I agree with the sentiments above. I keep coming back to these pics. What a beautiful guitar Oska! The oak accents are the crowing touch!
Thanks a lot all who have commented here. This guitar was very carefully designed (as are all of my instruments) to showcase such an incredible wood - the Bog Oak. It represents (in my opinion) some of my finest work as a luthier to date, both sonically & aesthetically. I will be posting an audio demo of this guitar very shortly for you all to hear, as I know many of you won't have the opportunity to play this guitar in person.
Facebook
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop