The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 03:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have completed the JB-15.5, a unique model, for Cedar Rock Studio. I can't ship it yet as Alan is out of town, but it will get there, I expect. Today I made a page for it, which is linked HERE.

Here is one of the pictures:

Old 02-07-2023, 06:24 PM

Looks good, Bruce. Would love to hear it.
1936 Martin 0-18
2018 Collings 000-18C
2019 JC Baxendale 0-18C
2020 Sexauer FT-0C
2021 Sexauer FT-L00
Old 02-07-2023, 09:16 PM

What a beauty!
Old 02-11-2023, 04:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Despite my protests that I would not do so, I took a new guitar commission this week. I feel great about this development, and am much less “lost”. It will be Adi/H.Mah. unless the customer changes his mind before his check arrives. This guitar will Cleve close to Martin in some ways, less so in others. The size will be half way from a 00 to a 000, and it will be a 13 fretter. Also, yes on the side port and the wedge. An interesting project, for me.

Meanwhile, since I haven’t built a guitar for 2 or 3 months, I am knocking out an FT-15-WRX to get my chops up. This one is already on the bench, and is Italian over Red Narra, a wood I haven’t used before. This one will be a conservative take on my bespoke interpretation of the OM. Linda is working on the taxes, and I show you what I’m up to when she gives me back my computer.

In other news, I am working on putting more/most of my woodlocker’s contents up on my site. It is a work in progress, but there has been some change already this week. WOODLOCKER.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Smile Hooray

Glad you are doing another commission, Bruce.

And I bet your customer is thrilled too…

Enjoy it all!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-11-2023, 08:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have been told the Red Narra is a relative of Padauk, and both the color and the smell back that up. As far as hardness, however, it is in the direction of Mahogany and it will be very interesting when the strings go on.

This is a great top, and I am calling it AA Master-grade. I define "Master-grade" as a master's top pick from the pile of tops he has already chosen to build with, eventually. While I do like this top above most of what I have, it is degraded from AAA to AA because it does have some visible run-out. Perfect for a WRX!

\
Old 02-13-2023, 02:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

This is going quickly and seemingly quite well. Sometimes I don't discover trouble until long after I created it, but hopefully not this time.

Old 02-13-2023, 03:03 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

For me, the problem with your build threads is that you're so fast and the images are so visually impressive and the details so precise that I never know what to say to not damage the experience for everyone else. I absolutely love following your work on here, and I hope your book project is zooming along in the background! Thanks for sharing so much of your process.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have been hearing about my build speed for years, but I have to wonder if it’s true. I am pretty sure the 150+/- hours of labor I think I put into my average guitar is well above the time most pro luthiers I know need for the process. I think the only reasons I am perceived as fast are, a, is my full time job, and b, very few others seem to choose to make one guitar at a time. On the other hand, I have seen videos of me working, and I do appear a bit manic.

One of the sides is bent, and it is time to bend the other.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

I got a great email today, and I'd like to share it with you, though I will exercise discretion re the sender:

Bruce,

My name is XXX XXXXXX, I am a 70 year old lifelong guitarist with a Masters in Music in Classical Guitar Performance. I recently retired from a "day-gig" I had as an IT Executive but spent a good portion of my life (and continuing) as a professional guitarist/musician. All of this is only by way of introduction so you know a little bit about me.
When I retired my company purchased the guitar known as Penngrove from Dream Guitars and presented it to me this last Saturday, Feb.11 (probably instead of a gold watch or something equally ludicrous) and I am now the proud owner of said guitar. I saw your facebook posts about building the instrument and thought maybe you would like to know who wound up with this extraordinary guitar, hence this email. It is I who now has the immense pleasure of playing this thing. It is an amazing instrument in every way and I wanted to congratulate you and thank you for creating it. It sounds so beautiful that it instantly made my playing more creative. And it is beautiful to look at as well.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,
Old 02-15-2023, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that is sensational!
Old 02-15-2023, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Best retirement gift ever.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Wow, where can I get an application :-)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

That's great Bruce and must feel wonderful.

There's also another potential customer (or current customer) lurking behind the scenes, for someone knew what the perfect gift was!
Old 02-16-2023, 02:00 PM

Has to be a nice feeling to get that kind of feedback, Bruce. Congrats!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop