The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
This was a tough week for musicians and their fans. We all know about Jeff Beck and David Crosby, but we lost another one two days ago that was closer to me. Larry Mersereau and I have been playing music together since the late ‘90’s when we had an acoustic trio with Eric Schoenberg playing American Songbook Swing. That lasted about 3 years, but Larry and I kept gigging until about five years ago when his String Bass became too much to move around. Larry passed the day before yesterday at 86.
Condolences Mr. Sexauer, it sounds he lived a full life.

I looked up his name on Spotify and found some nice tracks to relax to
Old 01-29-2023, 08:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have buffed out and assembled the Adi/MaRose JB-15.5 I am building for Cedar Rock Studio. I expect to hear it in a couple of days and will have more to say at that time. Here's the headstock face, also MadRose:

Old 01-31-2023, 09:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

My friend and customer Mike Wilhoyte has taken it upon himself to promote my work into the BlueGrass culture. While I fool around in that world he fully inhabits it, and I am honored by his support. Here is a video he made yesterday with my latest, not quite a year old, Adi/Brw bluegrass targeted D28-ish.

https://youtu.be/zORq_jM0ACI

If you are so inclined, subscribe to his highly informative YouTube channel.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

I appreciated that video from Mike. I met him at your shop when you were picking out woods for that pernambuco 000c. Great player and nice guy who was positive on your guitars as we spoke. He complimented my finger style musings despite his skills being streets ahead of my own. Fun day.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Embedded

Old 02-02-2023, 08:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Mike Wilhoyte has made videos for my 5 year old pair of dreds which were made at the same time, one to reflect UMGF philosophy, and one to reflect AGF philosophy.

UMGF: https://youtu.be/CgiZpZ1Ft5c

AGF: https://youtu.be/Fztz2Y7AUu4

I have these here ion the shop and they are much more reasonably priced than most of my work. They are both Sitka over EIR.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Voila…

Old 02-03-2023, 08:37 AM

Both of those dreads look and sound fabulous. I can’t believe you still have them. Someone needs to snap them up!
Old 02-03-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Mike Wilhoyte has made videos for my 5 year old pair of dreds which were made at the same time, one to reflect UMGF philosophy, and one to reflect AGF philosophy.
I am curious: what distinguishes UMFG and AFG philosophies?
Old 02-03-2023, 11:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
I am curious: what distinguishes UMFG and AFG philosophies?
In essence, UMGF is Martin-centric and relatively conservative, so the UMGF guitar is relatively Martin-like in both appearance and function. AGF is more progressive and supportive of the hand-builder community, so the AGF guitar includes more of my own thinking, and its materials are more interesting looking.

Functionally, the UMGF D is much closer to the BlueGrass ideal, while the AGF version is more harmonically complex and has less bass bias.

There are many posts on their creation here in AGF in my series of blog-threads if you look at 2016. If you do the same research in my similar thread in UMGF’s Guitar Gallery you’ll get another POV. I post the same initial verbiage in both sites, but then they diverge due to reader participation.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
In essence, UMGF is Martin-centric and relatively conservative, so the UMGF guitar is relatively Martin-like in both appearance and function. AGF is more progressive and supportive of the hand-builder community, so the AGF guitar includes more of my own thinking, and its materials are more interesting looking.

Functionally, the UMGF D is much closer to the BlueGrass ideal, while the AGF version is more harmonically complex and has less bass bias.

There are many posts on their creation here in AGF in my series of blog-threads if you look at 2016. If you do the same research in my similar thread in UMGF’s Guitar Gallery you’ll get another POV. I post the same initial verbiage in both sites, but then they diverge due to reader participation.
Thanks Bruce, an informative reply, and I am now checking the build threads from 2016.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:

I've spent a lot of time deciding which I'd rather have (See awesome demo by Scott Nygaard below) AGF Version for me please mostly for aesthetic reasons but all three sound amazing.

https://www.pegheadnation.com/instru...-dreadnoughts/
Old 02-05-2023, 09:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

If most players were stuck with any one of these 3, they’d be more than okay. But they really are quite different from each other, not to mention a 300% price spread from the UMGF D to the newest BRW machine, with the AGF version well below the middle of the equation. Poor old Mike is in trouble as he really only has ears for the best. First world trouble.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Hi, Bruce, I noticed that you will be at the Artisan Guitar Show this year. What sort of goodies are you expecting to bring, or is that classified?
Old 02-07-2023, 11:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Hi, Bruce, I noticed that you will be at the Artisan Guitar Show this year. What sort of goodies are you expecting to bring, or is that classified?
If I were leaving today I’d bring my Olivewood L00, which is very beautiful in every way, my latest BRW/Adi JB-16, and most likely the BRW JB-CN. These shows are great for the meet’n’greet and keeping my name in the public eye, but what makes my work special is very difficult to perceive on the show floor. I seriously encourage show goers to take advantage of whatever the show offers for more intimate listening. I’d bring a dread, but it is probably not that kind of show. If any readers have further opinions about what I should haul east, I’m listening.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop