The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-17-2022, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Default What custom guitar commissions are you expecting delivery on in 2023?

As if it was a blur, we have arrived at the end of 2022. I suspect that a number of you fellow AGFers have some custom guitar commissions in the build queue with manufacturers, small shops and luthiers. Hopefully, some of you will share your builds and or completed commissioned guitars here in the AGF “Custom Shop” throughout 2023.

What guitars are you expecting & from which manufacturers/small shops & luthiers will we be seeing here in 2023?

I will update a summary list here over the next 4 weeks (through mid January) based on responses in this initial post.

COMPANY|SMALL SHOP|LUTHIER—————-(n)—-

Michel Aboudib———————————————-——3—-
Al Beardsell———————————————————-1—
Tad Brown————————————————————1—
Leo Buendia------------------------------------------1--
Oska Burman——————————————————-2—
Circa (Slobod)——————————————————6—
Russell Crosby—————————————————--1—
Emerald Guitars—————————————————-1—
Franklin Guitar Co.(Kukich)———————————-1—
Giffin Guitars——————————————————-1—
Michael Greenfield————————————————1–
Sam Guidry———————————————————-1—
Gage Halland-----------------------------------------3--
Halycon (Ed Bond)————————————————1–
Mark Hatcher——————————————————-4—
Iris Guitar Co.——————————————————-1—
Brian Itzkin——————————————-—————1—
Mike Kennedy——————————————————-1—
Keystone (Nishi)—————————————————-1—
John Kinnaird——————————————————-1—
Stephen Kinnaird-------------------------------------1--
Stephen Marchione————————————————1—
Ciaran McNally———————————-——————-1—
Tim McKnight-----------------------------------------2---
Noemi (Schembri)————————————————1—
Nyberg Instruments———————————————-1—
Claudia & Claudio Pagelli—————————————1–
Queyet Guitar——————————————————-1—
Rockbridge————————————————————1—
Tyler Robbins——————————————————-1—
Rockbridge Guitar Co.--------------------------------1--
Bruce Sexauer——————————————————2—
Skytop (Weigeshoff)———————————————1—-
Max Spohn————————————————————1—
Taran Guitars (Dowling)—————————————-1—
Turnstone (Heydenrych)————————-------——2--
Mike Vanden———————————————————1—
Wandering Boys Guitars (Jack Tarlinton)—————-1—
David Whiteman—————————————————1—
Ben Wilborn------------------------------------------2--

Total————————————————--—————56—

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 03-07-2023 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Mar 07 update
Old 12-18-2022, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

Well, it's close to finished now but won't be with me until early January 2023.

So I'll start the year off with a Dreadnought (adi/mahogany) built by Ciaran McNally (McNally Guitars).

Build thread :

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=640334
Old 12-18-2022, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Re: What Custom Guitars are You Expecting for Delivery in 2023?

Michel Aboudib has returned to his home and family in France after completing his apprenticeship with Ervin Somoygi earlier this month.

I have a 2023 commission with Michel for a Somogyi style MD with a European Spruce top and Bois de Rose back and sides. The top will also feature a Somogyi style carved rosette. Below are pictures of the Bois de Rose set we selected for this build:

I also have a Tyler Robbins R.1ca build (German spruce - Koa) currently underway which should be completed later this month (Dec.2022). However, the plan is to let the guitar settle-in (hibernate) in the climate controlled Galloup shop until sometime in early 2023 when Michigan temperatures moderate somewhat.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:20 AM

If all goes according to plan, I'll receive a lovely Greta from Mr. Hatcher sometime around mid-2023.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 12-18-2022, 09:27 AM

I’m currently so enjoying watching John Kinnaird build a Brazilian / Lucky Strike ooo for me.
If everything goes as planned I should be having a NGD sometime in February.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I'm expecting a Russel Crosby small jumbo sometime mid 2023. It's going to be a Lutz top over Chechen back and sides. The build will probably begin sometime next month after the holidays
Old 12-18-2022, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Tad Brown Archtop
Skytop Grand Auditorium
Hatcher Dreadnought
Hatcher Dreadnought
Noemi Parlor
Turnstone Dreadnought
Turnstone Dreadnought
Old 12-18-2022, 01:00 PM

My Franklin OM build, which I anticipated would take place in 2022, will be getting under way in the early months of 2023.
Nick unexpectedly had to move his shop starting in November, so his schedule is understandable a bit disrupted. Once he has his new shop set up (in the basement of his home) work will commence.
We've chosen the woods: 50 yo German spruce for the top, and a beautiful straight grain set of Brazilian Rosewood for the back and sides.
There'll be some "bling" on this one which I'll eventually share...
Old 12-18-2022, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

I’m also expecting a guitar from Michel Aboudib in mid- to late-spring. It will either be Michel’s MA-D shape or a Somogyi-style modified dreadnought (the MA-D has a slightly tighter waist). European spruce top with figured koa back and sides. Also getting a hand-carved rosette, which has become something of a Michel Aboudib signature. Can’t wait!
Old 12-18-2022, 05:33 PM

Two OMs by up-and-coming Scottish luthier Oska Burman, should be done about a year from now.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

I see many new, to me, names of luthiers. The next generation? Good to see.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

1) Three Kim Walker OMs. All Adi and Braz style 45. Identical except for the bridge pins. Fossilized walrus ivory, fossilized narwhal ivory, and bone from the deer that attacked John Thomas (who is, himself, something of a fossil).

2) A 23.5” scale length Traugott made entirely from the Tree. Braces, neck, top, fretboard, truss rod, tuning keys, truss rod. Even the molds he’ll be using for the sides will be made from the Tree.

3) A Style 200 Olson SJ. The back and sides will be mother of pearl inlaid with quartersawn Brazilian. He’ll be inlaying an image of James Taylor holding this very guitar. Trippy. The top will be aged 6 month old knotty pine. He’s going to inlay “Country Road”’ in a needlepoint design with mother of pearl.

4) TJ Thompson is going to be converting a 1930 Martin OM-28 in near mint condition to a Taylor 814 with mahogany top, back, and sides.

5) Ervin Somogyi will be making me an OM. The entire guitar will be assembled from perfect 1 mm x 1 mm x 1 mm cubes of Braz, mahogany, and spruce. He’s having his apprentices prepare the cubes now, but they are only allowed to use hand tools. All the wood is reclaimed from some old Somogyis I had laying around, of course.

6) And finally John Slobod will be making an OM-42 from Adi and Braz and a 00-12 in style 30 from the same.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
1) Three Kim Walker OMs. All Adi and Braz style 45. Identical except for the bridge pins. Fossilized walrus ivory, fossilized narwhal ivory, and bone from the deer that attacked John Thomas (who is, himself, something of a fossil).

2) A 23.5” scale length Traugott made entirely from the Tree. Braces, neck, top, fretboard, truss rod, tuning keys, truss rod. Even the molds he’ll be using for the sides will be made from the Tree.

3) A Style 200 Olson SJ. The back and sides will be mother of pearl inlaid with quartersawn Brazilian. He’ll be inlaying an image of James Taylor holding this very guitar. Trippy. The top will be aged 6 month old knotty pine. He’s going to inlay “Country Road”’ in a needlepoint design with mother of pearl.

4) TJ Thompson is going to be converting a 1930 Martin OM-28 in near mint condition to a Taylor 814 with mahogany top, back, and sides.

5) Ervin Somogyi will be making me an OM. The entire guitar will be assembled from perfect 1 mm x 1 mm x 1 mm cubes of Braz, mahogany, and spruce. He’s having his apprentices prepare the cubes now, but they are only allowed to use hand tools. All the wood is reclaimed from some old Somogyis I had laying around, of course.

6) And finally John Slobod will be making an OM-42 from Adi and Braz and a 00-12 in style 30 from the same.
I think it's important to obtain Walkers in sets of three, but wise to have differing bridge pins, otherwise you might think you were seeing the same guitar over and over and over...

I have seen the same Traugott, exactly! Except that it wasn't from the Tree, but from a tree.

The Olson sounds amazing, although I might have considered "Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon" for the needle point-esque inlay.

T.J. Thompson is a wizard! I've heard that he's converted a few '30's OM 28's and 45's to archtop, but this is on a higher plane!

I had no idea Ervine Somogi is a cubist... is he basing the design on Picasso's guitar? https://www.pablopicasso.org/guitar.jsp#prettyPhoto

And lastly... with all those other guitars coming, do you really need another Circa?

Last edited by mhw48; 12-18-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
I think it's important to obtain Walkers in sets of three, but wise to have differing bridge pins, otherwise you might think you were seeing the same guitar over and over and over...

I have seen the same Traugott, exactly! Except that it wasn't from the Tree, but from a tree.

The Olson sounds amazing, although I might have considered "Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon" for the needle point-esque inlay.

T.J. Thompson is a wizard!

I had no idea Ervine Somogi is a cubist... is he basing the design on Picasso's guitar? https://www.pablopicasso.org/guitar.jsp#prettyPhoto

And lastly... do you really need another Circa?
Agree, the only way to save yourself from the monotony of one Walker is with three. The different bridge pins, as we all know, will basically yield three completely different guitars.

The guitar Ervin is making for me is basically like 3D printing a guitar, but using apprentices instead of a machine. The apprentices are more cost effective . . .

Do I need more Circas? Well, the guest bathroom doesn’t have a Circa. And neither does the laundry room. So, yeah, I’d say I do.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
... bone from the deer that attacked John Thomas (who is, himself, something of a fossil). ...
I resemble this remark!

And I've immortalized that deer:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop