The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-04-2022, 09:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default An OM for Woody Final Final Pictures

Mike is one of my patrons. A lot of my builds go through his hands. Here comes another.

B and S out of some of the most interesting Honduran rosewood I've come across. Top will be master grade Adirondack spruce from Old Standard.

The back with mineral spirits.

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 05-28-2023 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Smile Go Gentlemen, Go

Woohoo!

Mike, how many does this one make? Good call!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-04-2022, 03:15 PM

That’s some pretty wood. Isn’t most Honduran more orange colored? This must be some special wood.
It seems like whenever you and Mike get your heads together there is sure to be an extra special guitar coming.
I’ll be happy to follow along with this build.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTS View Post
That’s some pretty wood. Isn’t most Honduran more orange colored? This must be some special wood.
It seems like whenever you and Mike get your heads together there is sure to be an extra special guitar coming.
I’ll be happy to follow along with this build.
Thanks Tory
You are right about the color. This set has a lot of violets and a lot of gold streaks and seems well quartered in the center section especially. It’s a really nice set with more character and interest than Honduras rosewood usually has.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:54 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Woohoo!

Mike, how many does this one make? Good call!!!

Cheers

Paul
Paul, sorry for the tardy response as I've been a bit distracted with year end investment planning for my clients, as well as the holidays etc. (and just maybe a few rounds of late season Golf he he ).

Regarding the number, I've actually lost count. Between the guitars I've had John build, the others I've bought and sold, and the number of people I've influenced in some way to have him build something, I've had a lot of experience with John's guitars...all very good! This one is probably my last custom build. I am really hoping this one is the "best of the bunch". John had very positive things to say about the tone quality of the woods, and I am truly optimistic that he'll deliver something jaw dropping as usual.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words to John. In my opinion, he really doesn't get the AGF "love" that he deserves, and I am personally grateful for all who support him with the kudo's he has earned. In my mind, dollar for dollar, he builds one of the best guitars out there.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 12-08-2022, 12:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Paul, sorry for the tardy response as I've been a bit distracted with year end investment planning for my clients, as well as the holidays etc. (and just maybe a few rounds of late season Golf he he ).

Regarding the number, I've actually lost count. Between the guitars I've had John build, the others I've bought and sold, and the number of people I've influenced in some way to have him build something, I've had a lot of experience with John's guitars...all very good! This one is probably my last custom build. I am really hoping this one is the "best of the bunch". John had very positive things to say about the tone quality of the woods, and I am truly optimistic that he'll deliver something jaw dropping as usual.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words to John. In my opinion, he really doesn't get the AGF "love" that he deserves, and I am personally grateful for all who support him with the kudo's he has earned. In my mind, dollar for dollar, he builds one of the best guitars out there.
Ive lost count myself. I know the first I ever made for Mike was delivered at the Memphis guitar show that was put on by Bob Singer. That was the summer of 2015. So we stretch back at least 7 years. Perhaps more since I build slowly.

At any rate Mike I appreciate your kind words and all the positive feedback I get from you here on the forum
Old 12-08-2022, 01:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Nice set!!, I'm a Honduran enthusiast.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:06 PM

Thanks to all of you for the kind words to John. In my opinion, he really doesn't get the AGF "love" that he deserves, and I am personally grateful for all who support him with the kudo's he has earned. In my mind, dollar for dollar, he builds one of the best guitars out there. [/QUOTE]

Well said Mike. I couldn’t agree more. And I thank you again for helping to bring John and I together for my current build.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Mike, I’m sure this will be awesome. Having played some of John’s work at BIG, I understand why you feel as you do; I have been impressed with almost every guitar he showed up with. This will be fun to watch!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-08-2022, 11:12 PM

Looks awesome!

So this is D. Stevensonii, not D. Tucurensis? I can never keep them straight by country.

I was very impressed with John's work at BIG. Very tasteful and well executed.

It will be exciting to see this develop.

Congrats!
Old 12-09-2022, 06:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc0herent View Post
Looks awesome!

So this is D. Stevensonii, not D. Tucurensis? I can never keep them straight by country.

I was very impressed with John's work at BIG. Very tasteful and well executed.

It will be exciting to see this develop.

Congrats!
Stevensonii vs Tucurensis? You will be disappointed to know that I am not up on the difference. What I do know is that my brother and Ryan know. I bought it from Marvel Woods and it was billed as Honduran Rosewood but If I am not wrong both of those species are called Honduran Rosewood. I'm willing and anxious to be schooled so if anybody reading this as some input let's hear it.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:00 AM

My limited understanding is that they both have been called Honduran Rosewood at times, but it seems that these days D. Stevensonii is considered "the" Honduran Rosewood.

D.Tucurensis is now more commonly called Guatemalan Rosewood, but has at times gone by Panama Rosewood, which can also be confused with at least one other rosewood species from the region.

The two species are quite different specs wise, with Stevensonii being much more dense/hard (64 lbs/ft3 Janka hardness 2,200) vs Tucurensis which is very light for a rosewood (42 lbs/ft3 Janka hardness 1,200), and puts it in the Myrtle or Maple range.

Another interesting thing that I hadn't realized, is that the Honduras part of the name (both Mahogany and Rosewood) dates back to when Belize was known as British Honduras and is not necessarily referring to current day Honduras, although I'm sure both species grow there as well.

Maybe someone else can chime in with corrections or more details, but my understanding is that they both make excellent guitars!
Old 12-09-2022, 10:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc0herent View Post
My limited understanding is that they both have been called Honduran Rosewood at times, but it seems that these days D. Stevensonii is considered "the" Honduran Rosewood.

D.Tucurensis is now more commonly called Guatemalan Rosewood, but has at times gone by Panama Rosewood, which can also be confused with at least one other rosewood species from the region.

The two species are quite different specs wise, with Stevensonii being much more dense/hard (64 lbs/ft3 Janka hardness 2,200) vs Tucurensis which is very light for a rosewood (42 lbs/ft3 Janka hardness 1,200), and puts it in the Myrtle or Maple range.

Another interesting thing that I hadn't realized, is that the Honduras part of the name (both Mahogany and Rosewood) dates back to when Belize was known as British Honduras and is not necessarily referring to current day Honduras, although I'm sure both species grow there as well.

Maybe someone else can chime in with corrections or more details, but my understanding is that they both make excellent guitars!
Your understanding does not seem limited at all. Thanks for the schooling. Do the two compare visually. Can a trained eye tell them apart visually? How about the eye of mere mortals.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:27 AM

I'm not sure about conclusive visual identification. They can look similar but from what I've seen Tucurensis is lighter with more amber/orange shades whereas Stevensonii leans darker, more brown/purple.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Smile Honduran Rosewood…

Whichever HR John used on the two HR guitars he built me was mighty impressive. They both really sounded GREAT.

I have read some folks find it very close to the fabled BRZ rosewood….

But, really, ALL Johns guitars I have played, heard and read about sound fantastically good. He has the touch, and voices each to maximize the woods used.

And his work continues to get better and better.

I have almost talked myself into one more here…. Hahahaha

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop