The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-26-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
We just finished Season 1 of The Sinner and thought it was excellent. A different twist on crime drama with high Tomato ratings. A bit quirky and leaves you wanting to see the next episode as the mystery unfolds. We thought this one was binge worthy.
I watched most of the first episode a few nights ago. I have to say I found the leading guy a bit off-putting - he has all the charm and charisma of a sack of potatoes! But since you recommend it so highly, I might see if I can get past that.

Last edited by ewalling; 12-26-2022 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Is it too late to say how much I liked Season 5 of "The Crown"? I watched it twice, and it got stronger on second viewing. Initially, I had issues with some of the portrayals. Dominic West didn't seem right as Charles, and his portrayal was certainly not a natural continuation of the character as played previously by Josh O'Connor. I also know Jonathan Pryce from too many other roles to fully accept him as Philip. But Imelda Staunton immediately commanded the role of the Queen, and Elizabeth Debicki as Diana grew on me as the series went on.

The sets and direction were as spectacular as we've come to expect, and I thought the writing was very strong. In fact, the whole season was encapsulated within a single theme, the aging of the monarchy, better than most of the previous seasons. It wasn't just a linear retelling if familiar events. It used those events to illustrate a number of over-arching themes. That some of the events weren't totally historically accurate is beside the point. They were accurate enough to bring the themes to life, and that's what matters.

Wrapping the entire season within the commissioning and decommissioning of the royal yacht was stroke of genius. Some of the individual episodes were standouts. I thought the Charles/Diana divorce episode was very cleverly handled, showing it as one of 95 other divorce cases that were handled by the court that day. Also, the private relationship of Philip and Lady Romsey neatly contrasted with the more public exhibitions by other members of the family. Philip's counsel to Diana that she could live any life she wanted behind the scenes provided she put on a good face for the public put a whole new spin on Philip's character.

I hope I live long enough to see Season 6. It'll be interesting to see how they handle Diana's death, particularly since the Peter Morgan has already addressed it in a well-regarded movie on the subject. Apparently, they're going to end the series with the events of 2003 that followed the deaths of Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother. Somehow, we'll have to see the Queen coming to terms with her fading glory and recovering the strength to fight off Charles' ambitions to serve as sovereign for another two decades.
I haven't and will not watch this, as I find that making up ridiculous fictions about the current Royal Family in extremely offensive bad taste.

Last edited by islandguitar; 04-29-2023 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I haven't and will not watch this, as I find that making up ridiculous fictions about the current Royal Family in extremely offensive bad taste.
Same for me. Unfortunately, these fictions in The Crown seem part of a wider disturbing trend in which history in drama is rewritten so that it more closely conforms to current right-on thinking and interpretation.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I watched most of the first episode a few nights ago. I have to say I found the leading guy a bit off-putting - he has all the charm and charisma of a sack of potatoes! But since you recommend it so highly, I might see if I can get past that.
Funny, I’d have to agree with you on that. But, for me, his persona kind of plays into the mystique, especially when you learn more about his past and how damaged he is. Season 1 worked for us. Started season 2. It received 90+ Rotten Tomatoes for critics and for audience. But as always, they don’t work for everyone.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Funny, I’d have to agree with you on that. But, for me, his persona kind of plays into the mystique, especially when you learn more about his past and how damaged he is. Season 1 worked for us. Started season 2. It received 90+ Rotten Tomatoes for critics and for audience. But as always, they don’t work for everyone.
I'm sticking with it for the moment. I watched episode 2 last night. The story is intriguing, and there's a nice build-up of interesting characters. I'll give episode 3 a spin a bit later.
Old 12-28-2022, 02:09 PM

We just finished "Don't pick up the phone".
Interesting, unbelievable and even disgusting at times.
I had never heard of this McDonalds fiasco before this.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
We just finished "Don't pick up the phone".
Interesting, unbelievable and even disgusting at times.
I had never heard of this McDonalds fiasco before this.
When I watch some of these Netflix 3-part series, they're so elaborately produced and photographed that I find myself wondering if this is fact or fiction. Then I google the event and find out that I am indeed watching a show about something that actually happened. Unbelievable... just plain wow.

Watched another oddball show last night, a one-part doc called "Tell Me Who I Am." More than a little thought-provoking - and emotional. We thought it was good.
Old 01-01-2023, 12:36 AM

Okay, yes, I'm well into "The Sinner" now - very good indeed. I finished the first season tonight and have just seen the opening scene of the second season, episode 1.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:07 PM

I just read that 1899 will not be renewed on Netflix. What a shame. After watching the last minutes of the first season I couldn't believe the plot switch, but alas we will never know how it might have developed.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 01-13-2023, 05:21 PM

Did anyone who watched "The Sinner" get the feeling that the fourth season was written by different people? I found the first three seasons compelling, but the fourth a complete yawn. Could the people who wrote the first three seasons really have written something as soporific and limp as the fourth one, I wonder?
Old 01-13-2023, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Did anyone who watched "The Sinner" get the feeling that the fourth season was written by different people? I found the first three seasons compelling, but the fourth a complete yawn. Could the people who wrote the first three seasons really have written something as soporific and limp as the fourth one, I wonder?
I watched the first 2 seasons, enjoyed those, and then took a break. I haven’t caught up with you. However, sometimes shows need to end way before they decide it’s time. Maybe they ran out of ideas.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I watched the first 2 seasons, enjoyed those, and then took a break. I haven’t caught up with you. However, sometimes shows need to end way before they decide it’s time. Maybe they ran out of ideas.
Yes, could be.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Watched the 1st episode of 1899 and gave up halfway through the 2nd.
Same. Wasn’t for me.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:45 PM

I just finished watching 3 seasons of “Glitch”, filmed in Australia.
I liked it.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:21 AM

I've just finished the second season of 'Viking Valhalla.' Excellent stuff - I love good historical dramas. This one dealt with Britain and Scandinavia and the various skirmishes for power in the post-Roman, pre-Norman conquest period.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic