The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-21-2022, 12:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

I’m doing the pore filling on the newest guitars today. Check out what happened to the Padouk on the Rojo guitar with one coat of sealer. It doesn’t even look like the same wood as when it was still “dry”!IMG_3810.jpg
Old 06-21-2022, 12:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I love this so much! This made my day

Yeah, Joel is one of those lifetime friends! I really appreciate your very kind posts also.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:50 PM

Oh wow, you are not kidding, that looks amazing!
Old 06-21-2022, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Smile Shazam!

Mighty pretty! Looked nice before, too, but HELLOOOOO…..

woohoo

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-21-2022, 07:53 PM

I think I remember Mark Hatcher calling that pattern Bacon slab or something akin to that.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I learned something the other day about Padauk - how to pronounce it! I have heard luthiers say it various ways, and was unsure. I saw a friend the other day who does forest conservation (anti timber poaching) work in Burma, where Padauk grows. So I asked him how to pronounce it.

He said it is pronounced PAD-OWK, as in "OW, you dropped that slab of Padauk on my foot!". It is not pronounced PAD-OOK, as in "That KOOK has too many guitars".

By the way, he also said the Chinese are wiping out all the valuable timber in Burma - all the rosewoods, the padauk, etc. Padauk will likely be CITES listed soon.

Jamie
Old 06-28-2022, 07:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I think I remember Mark Hatcher calling that pattern Bacon slab or something akin to that.
Yes, Tom, that's it! Padouk with this kind of figure is pretty rare- most of it is straight-grained, with the same type of figure as Indian Rosewood, but vermilion red in color. I bought a bunch of exceptionally nice wild-figured Padouk boards from Cook Woods in Klamath Falls, OR in 2014, and they listed it on their website as "Bacon Figure Padouk". Yum. Who doesn't love bacon figure? This wood also has a strong Rosewood vibe, so I think it will be a perfect complement to that mastergade Tunnel 14 top.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Yes, Tom, that's it! Padouk with this kind of figure is pretty rare- most of it is straight-grained, with the same type of figure as Indian Rosewood, but vermilion red in color. I bought a bunch of exceptionally nice wild-figured Padouk boards from Cook Woods in Klamath Falls, OR in 2014, and they listed it on their website as "Bacon Figure Padouk". Yum. Who doesn't love bacon figure? This wood also has a strong Rosewood vibe, so I think it will be a perfect complement to that mastergade Tunnel 14 top.
Yes…but the other day when you weren’t looking, I got carried away and licked it…and I assure you that it tastes nothing like bacon

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 06-29-2022, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
Yes…but the other day when you weren’t looking, I got carried away and licked it…and I assure you that it tastes nothing like bacon
..now that is a new take on a ‚lick‘ in connection with guitars.. like that humour ;o)
good one !
Old 06-30-2022, 06:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
I learned something the other day about Padauk - how to pronounce it! I have heard luthiers say it various ways, and was unsure. I saw a friend the other day who does forest conservation (anti timber poaching) work in Burma, where Padauk grows. So I asked him how to pronounce it.

He said it is pronounced PAD-OWK, as in "OW, you dropped that slab of Padauk on my foot!". It is not pronounced PAD-OOK, as in "That KOOK has too many guitars".

By the way, he also said the Chinese are wiping out all the valuable timber in Burma - all the rosewoods, the padauk, etc. Padauk will likely be CITES listed soon.

Jamie
Thanks for that info, Jamie. I never got the skinny on how Padouk (or Padauk) is pronounced, or properly spelled.
Another of my favorite woods has a similar misunderstood pronunciation. I have a beautiful set of it on reserve for you, in fact: Katalox. It's also known as Mexican Royal Ebony. You would think it's pronounced "Kat-a-Lox", but it is actually "Kaht-a-LOSH". Makes it sound even more exotic, doesn't it?

As for Joel's comment about licking the Padouk guitar to see if it tastes like bacon, well, Joel has a gorgeous guitar with flamed, spalted Mango back and sides; and as soon as it's ripe, I might just take a bite out of it.

On a sadder note, yes, the powers that be in China seemingly have no concern whatsoever for the preservation and sustainable stewardship of any rare or exotic species. They prey on poor countries who have corrupt leaders who will eagerly sell their most valuable natural resources for short term profits. For example- Madagascar- the most richly bio-diverse country on the planet- has been ruthlessly pillaged, because their political leaders are greedy and corrupt, and are selling off their timber resources, rare animal species, and other irreplaceable resources as if there's no tomorrow; and China is only too willing to take advantage of that.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Progress report: The Ziricote/Tunnel 14 EPC-F Performance guitar is now buffed up, assembled, and strung. It's actually four days old today. I'll post a big reveal soon; I'm still charging ahead full steam on the other work, and will have the Pernambuco/Adi Eclipse strung up tomorrow. High hopes!

The Ziricote Performance guitar is a winner right out of the starting gate. It has an awe-inspiring voice. It sounds like something made by any one of Ervin Somogyi's proteges. It has that fat, focused, profound low end, rollicking midrange, and crystalline trebles. Lots of clean sustain, overtones, volume, and very even balance. I hope to get some recording of it soon; even an iPhone video would serve. It almost scares me to think what the Ziri will sound like at the B.I.G. show, after it's had a couple months to settle in and come into full tonal bloom.

The other guitars- The Gecko Performance and the Rojo Consort 000, are getting their final round of lacquer topcoats on Saturday. Then they will gestate for awhile, as the lacquer cures. I expect to have them fully fledged in early August. STILL cutting it pretty close to the B.I.G. deadline, but no stress meltdowns this time.

In the mean time, I have another guitar to show you. This one is a commissioned build for my friend "J", who wishes to remain anonymous. It's an EF 75 Falcon model. He already owns a Consort 000 I built for him in 2014 (I think). The Falcon is my smallest guitar model, slightly larger than a traditional Parlor guitar, but smaller than a typical 0-size. It's a little powerhouse with a very lively spirit, super fun to play, and it's just got a great personality that wins people over.

This Falcon has a (surprise!) Tunnel 14 Redwood top, and a very colorful Indonesian Palisander Rosewood back and sides. I bet y'all are sensing a trend, as this is the third T-14-topped guitar in my current crop. Yes, I am a binge-builder. Anyway, it's what J wanted, and I'm glad, because it pairs beautifully with the Indonesian Palisander, both tonally and visually.
This Falcon has a 24.5" scale length, thirteen frets-to-body, a micro-arm-bevel, and a small upper bout side sound port. It also sports a one-off new bridge design that J wanted, a very un-Edwinsonesque design. We got our inspiration for this bridge from the guitars that Master Luthier from Canada, Sergei DeJonge makes. I love his work, he's a modern legend of acoustic guitar lutherie, and his kids are carrying on the family business in world class style as well. When J and I were discussing bridge ideas, I flashed on the DeJonge bridge as the perfect solution.
The Falcon is now fully built, and will also be getting the final topcoats of lacquer this weekend. We're finishing this guitar with satin lacquer instead of gloss. I think it's going to look amazing. Here are some photos of the Falcon, before the finish work...

Other woods used on the Falcon are Ebony fingerboard and bridge, Ziricote bindings and bevel, flamed Pyinma purflings and back strip, and the neck is Eastern Black Walnut that was harvested locally sometime between 1900 and 1920. It's from the same Walnut beam I made the neck for the Gecko Performance guitar with. Over a hundred years ago, there was a lot of Walnut growing around here, but it's practically extinct in south Alabama now. I bought it from the fifth-generation owner of a farm about thirty miles from Fairhope. He sold me a large beam, which had been sitting in his old barn for the last century. The barn itself was built from Walnut, if you can believe that! I told him, if he ever wants to recycle that barn, please call me, and I'll buy as much as I can possibly afford. It's superb neck wood, and perfect for all sorts of woodworking projects.

Here's a picture of the rosette before it was a rosette, and after:

I'll have some more in-progress photos soon, and also will be featuring a couple of upcoming commissioned builds that should be quite adventurous. Thanks to everyone for looking, and posting comments. The best people in the world are AGF denizens. LOVE y'all!
Old 06-30-2022, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Smile Wow!

Looking FINE!

Go, Steve, Go….

Sweet!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-01-2022, 06:40 AM

Steve…the entire Falcon is gorgeous, but I can’t get over two things: the rosette and the 12th fret inlay. Absolutely beautiful work!
Old 07-01-2022, 08:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

It must be baseball season, Steve, because you’re hitting these right out of the park! I also especially like the rosette, but the whole guitar is beautiful. Great work. Dave
Old 07-01-2022, 08:01 AM

Looks great Steve. That rosette is really something, I like seeing all the pieces prior to assembly, really gives a great view as to how it is done, but cutting all those little strips and shapes must require a ton of patience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop