The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-29-2022, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

As usual, your sense of esthetics is superb.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful work here Steve!!
Old 12-06-2022, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

I'm coming very late to your party - just viewed this thread.

Stunning design. Wow.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Anyone heard from Steve recently? Things OK?
Old 03-12-2023, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Smile Unique is fine by me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Thanks, Steve. Those tiles are spalted Maple. I'm making a segmented end graft with it also. My client for this guitar is asking for some very specific customizations, so this guitar will be well outside the normal specs for a "real" classical guitar. It'll be pretty unique...
This classical crossover is going to be NIFTY

Hope all is well indeed….

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-12-2023, 03:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

I was surprised to see this thread back up at the top of the Custom Shop. I've been away for awhile. Due to a 2 1/2 month (and still ongoing) family crisis, I have been AWOL from the Forum for quite awhile. Circumstances involving my 94-year-old mother and my disabled older sister have taken me way out of my game, and blown a giant crater in the center of my life and livelihood. Having to be the sole caregiver, completely unexpectedly, 24/7, to a very fragile, nearly blind, incontinent, hard of hearing, somewhat demented parent, having to be constantly vigilant for her safety, that's an extraordinary amount of emotionally wrenching work. Especially if you have some gnarly health issues of your own to deal with! I don't want to elucidate the details except to say that I've been exhausted beyond comprehension lately.

But I'm glad to say, it looks like my family ordeal is finally resolving. I am moving my mother into an assisted living community close to my home, this coming week. My sister is continuing in Nursing care up in Birmingham. If all goes according to plan, I'll be soon returning to my beautiful, simple, elegant life of building guitars. I'll be knitting my shredded sanity back together, knowing my Mom is safe and well cared for, and I can once again indulge in my favorite comfort ritual- practicing lutherie.

I want to post some photos of Jim's Artemis Crossover guitar, featured earlier. I think it turned out rather well; and so does Jim. About ten days after he recieved the guitar, he decided to commission another steel-string sister to the
Artemis, with the same woods, and many similar specialized features, designed to Jim's unique preferences. Both guitars are based on my Consort 000 Venetian model. This will be the fourth guitar I've made for Jim. He honors me greatly with his patronage, and his warm friendship.

Here are some photos of Jim's Artemis Crossover:

Note a feature Jim asked for that I've never tried before- Instead of a typical back bevel, there is a double-course of back bindings enclosing the entire perifery, with a 1/4" roundover. It is extremely comfortable, and looks cool, I think.

The bridge is a John Gilbert-style, I-beam design, with a twelve-hole tie block that makes installing strings at the bridge quick, easy, and very slip-proof.

Jim wanted a celestial theme on this guitar. Five-point stars in black and white MOP, and some shooting stars, and an eight point compass star on the back.

Gotoh DeLuxe Classical tuners, Gold with Ivoroid buttons and white rollers. Great tuners!

Thanks for looking. As things return to whatever passes for normal in my life, I will be back here on the Forum with some exciting new projects. Can't wait!
Old 03-12-2023, 04:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, Steve, a rough season for you, both physically and emotionally. You’re a loving son to have carried your Mom and sister through these days. Times such as these can be really hard. Blessings on you as you wrap up these details and re-enter your shop and life. Looking forward to seeing new guitars and hearing of peaceful times. Dave
Old 03-12-2023, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar…definitely love the double back bindings and more rounded edge.
The overall esthetics are stunning!! And echo everyone else on the rosette!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 03-12-2023, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Smile Fantastic instrument

Sorry indeed to read of your recent trials and tribulations…. Dang!!!

Having just lost Cindy’s 102.5 y o mom we feel your pain. We send virtual hugs and all the helping vibes we can…

Hope you are on a relatively even keel asap!

I especially like the rounded binding. I don’t see why more guitars are not as comfortable as possible!

Know we send helpful thoughts your way

Take GOOD care of yourself

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-15-2023, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Crossover

Hi. This is Jim, the owner of said guitar. It is a beautiful, great sounding guitar. It fits to my hand about as perfectly as one could ask, Steve did an outstanding build on it. It's opening up more week by week, but even if that process were to stop right now, it would be ok. I take finger style lessons from a professional classical guitar player and he marvels at the sound he can coax from this guitar.
And yes, I did commission a steel string version and I have every confidence it will sound equally great in it's own right. Oops, almost forgot, this is also one of the easiest playing guitars I've had my hands on.
Fast Jimmy
Old 03-15-2023, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar Stephen. So sorry to hear about the rough season you’ve had. All the best and God bless you and yours.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop