The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-10-2022, 12:02 PM

I prefer the more comfortable strat.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 06-10-2022, 12:09 PM

Love its sound and look but I am done with heavy guitars
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars
Old 06-10-2022, 12:25 PM

I played my then- '83 Les Paul Custom "Black Beauty" for three years in a band. The weight just killed my left shoulder so I sold it on.

Beautiful instrument, however, that played effortlessly.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:29 PM

My father and brother gifted me a Univox imitation Lester when I was fourteen(I still play this very hot rodded bolt-on) . I hot rodded a 2001 Desert Burst Plus Top Studio for my son’s graduation present from Berklee College. Finally, in 2021 I treated myself to a beautiful Bourbon Burst Studio Ultra Plain Top! It was my bucket list guitar. Even though I am a Fender guy through and through, ownership of a Les Paul is mandatory for baby boomer guitarists!
Old 06-10-2022, 01:35 PM

I love Les Pauls - my favorite guitar. It's not just the tone but it feels right in my hands, regardless of the neck profile. Not just fretting hand but also picking hand. Same with the SG.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:58 PM

Had one, sold it. Too heavy.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 06-10-2022, 02:17 PM

I own two Heritage H150s (their take on Les Pauls), and 3 Historic Les Pauls.

Why so many Les Pauls?

Because they all sound great, and they all sound different to me, and I love the subtle variations of tone from each of them. And to me, they are the ultimate thick sounding guitar. I do a lot of recording, and when I record a rhythm track with a Fender, or any thinner sounding guitar, I love how the thickness of the Les Paul sound blends with that and fills up the track.

And when I gig electric, I mostly gig full-time acoustic, there is nothing that I can't cover when I show up with a Les Paul and a Tele. And if I have to bring just one guitar to the gig, it will be my R4 because it just covers so much ground.

2019 Historic 1954 reissue ...

2010 Historic 1960 reissue

2014 Historic 1957

2006 Heritage H150

2010 Heritage H150

Last edited by rockabilly69; 06-10-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post

[/IMG]

My father and brother gifted me a Univox imitation Lester when I was fourteen(I still play this very hot rodded bolt-on) .
Hey Frank, a few months back a guy brought me one of those Univoxs to do some repair work on. One of the pickups was dead and things were cutting in and out, so I rewired the whole thing with a vintage style harness and two PAF style alnico humbuckers that I pulled out of one of my Zemaitis guitars. It came out sounding great, and now he loves it again! I also did a complete setup on it, and although the neck was a bit thin in profile, it really plays great with a low action with no buzzes.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Hey Frank, a few months back a guy brought me one of those Univoxs to do some repair work on. One of the pickups was dead and things were cutting in and out, so I rewired the whole thing with a vintage style harness and two PAF style alnico humbuckers that I pulled out of one of my Zemaitis guitars. It came out sounding great, and now he loves it again! I also did a complete setup on it, and although the neck was a bit thin in profile, it really plays great with a low action with no buzzes.
Hey Rocky,
That ‘72 Univox has all American guts, jack and toggle inside, with a Jazz Neck and Pearly Gates set from Seymour Duncan. As you said, an ultra thin neck but micro height action that never buzzes anywhere. How the heck did they pull that off fifty years ago with a $199 guitar?
Hope this finds you well!
frank

BTW-that last shot of yours, the dark Lester….Jeez thats gorgeous!!!
Old 06-10-2022, 03:05 PM

Default Tell me why (or why not) you own a Les Paul

Because if you're truly serious about electric guitar, it's one of the basic components of your tone arsenal along with a Strat/Tele, 335-type semi-hollow, Gretsch hollowbody, and full-size (16" and up) jazzbox - anything else is just icing on the cake. Mine's a 2011 limited edition Studio '60s Tribute goldtop/P-90: looks like a sweet under-the-bed '56 that got put away when Elvis got out of the Army, weight-relieved body makes it lighter on the strap (and more acoustically resonant to boot), and although I use it as my straight-up rock axe it's also the best surf guitar I've ever played - clearer, crisper, sits better in a mix than the humbucker versions, and the late-1960 style Slim-Taper neck makes it a joy to play compared to earlier profiles...
Old 06-10-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Nothing that small should be that heavy.
Never tried hauling a Mesa Boogie in and out of a gig, have ya...?
Old 06-10-2022, 03:11 PM

I have been in love with the look and sound of a Les Paul since the early70's
To my eye, that is what a rock guitar looks like. I played copies my early years and finally bought a new Standard in 1982. I still own it.

I've played (and enjoyed) all kinds of guitars, but the LP just feels right in my hands. The body size/shape and scale are the most comfortable for me.
Epiphone Dot
Old 06-10-2022, 03:23 PM

Not once have I felt any GAS for a Les Paul. (Just about all the guitarists that influenced me played a Stratocaster, Telecaster or Gretsch/other type of semi).

Each to their own though!
Old 06-10-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Hey Rocky,
That ‘72 Univox has all American guts, jack and toggle inside, with a Jazz Neck and Pearly Gates set from Seymour Duncan. As you said, an ultra thin neck but micro height action that never buzzes anywhere. How the heck did they pull that off fifty years ago with a $199 guitar?
Hope this finds you well!
frank

BTW-that last shot of yours, the dark Lester….Jeez thats gorgeous!!!
Well whoever did their fretwork was pretty good I also own a Univox Mosrite bass copy from that era that is short scale and plays great!

I call that Darkburst H150 Barnabus, after the vampire character in the show Dark Shadows!
Old 06-10-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Never tried hauling a Mesa Boogie in and out of a gig, have ya...?
Ain't that the truth!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars