The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Default Kinnaird Alpine Spruce/Brazilian

Well, some of you know that I had a custom guitar built and completed about 8 months ago. I then began a another custom with the same builder, and ultimately sold the build slot midway through. After some further evaluation and study on the subject, I had "firmly decided not to do another custom". (and yes there is more to the story...LOL)

I then bought a used guitar that had been built in 2011 by John Kinnaird. I liked it so much that I decided to inquire of John about another Brazilian OM that I thought he had for sale. John told he told me that it had been sold...but then he said the magic words..."that he could build me a comparable one to my specs". You guessed it...after some discussion with John I agreed to have him build the very custom guitar that not long before had "firmly decided" not to do. Oh well, such is life, huh? Guitar Acquisition Syndrome strikes again, ha!

This guitar will be an "OM size" guitar with a cutaway. Woods will be Old growth Brazilian Rosewood with Alpine Spruce, Cocobolo binding, with some touches of Coco/curly maple purfling, etc. It will be a 14 fret guitar with a soft cutaway. Gotoh tuners, Gold Jescar frets, a little bit of Paua abalone here and there, a soundport. All aspects are subject to modification, but this is the general idea on the woods, etc.

General measurements:

Nut: 1 3/4
Lower bout 15.125 inches
Waist 9.25 inches
Upper bout 11.375 inches
Depth at butt end 4 inches
Depth at heel 3.5 inches
Length 19.5 inches

Here's the wood:

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 04-13-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:25 PM

Congrats on the new build, always very exciting. Great looking woods!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Default Progress...

Here are a few progress pictures that John sent me recently. This is when hunks of raw wood start thinking about becoming a guitar

Old 03-03-2015, 11:13 AM

That is a great looking set of BRW. In John's hands, you know you're going to be in for a heck of a guitar. Looking forward to seeing this one come together!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
That is a great looking set of BRW. In John's hands, you know you're going to be in for a heck of a guitar. Looking forward to seeing this one come together!
Thank you! I studied this hard prior to making this decision. After getting John involved in the build process, I am REALLY enjoying working with him. He's super responsive, offers lots of great ideas, and is making this custom build fun. Not to mention I've seen his work first hand and know this special guitar is in good hands!

Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 AM

This is a wonderful start, I can't wait to see more! I love the look of the side braces. I wonder what John has to say about them compared to double sides for example.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

I think the laminated linings, considering their thickness and the fact that rigidity is proportional to the square of the thickness, are at least as rigid as a laminated side. Perhaps more rigid, I haven't actually done the math. I like using solid wood. There is something authentic with solid wood that seems to be missing from laminates, and I wonder about the ability of laminated wood to evolve and become more sonorous over time.

Having said that, sides don't make a big contribution to sound and that lining is laminated. It could be a wash. Laminated sides are hard to crack. If you are concerned about stability laminated sides are more stable and you won't lose much if any tone.

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 03-03-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
I think the laminated linings, considering their thickness and the fact that rigidity is proportional to the square of the thickness, are at least as rigid as a laminated side. Perhaps more rigid, I haven't actually done the math. I like using solid wood. There is something authentic with solid wood that seems to be missing from laminates, and I wonder about the ability of laminated wood to evolve and become more sonorous over time.

Having said that, sides don't make a big contribution to sound and that lining is laminated. It could be a wash. Laminated sides are hard to crack. If you are concerned about stability laminated sides are more stable and you won't lose much if any tone.
Hey John! Thanks so much for the reply. That is quite insightful. I really like the idea of side braces for the same reasons you have stated above and it is indeed an elegant solution Looking forward to the rest of this amazing build.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post

Some luthiers use both laminated hardwood sides and solid linings in combination. Here is an example of a guitar made with solid catalpa linings used together with laminated hardwood sides (inner layer was Port Orford Cedar).

Old 03-05-2015, 03:59 PM

I just discovered this thread today. Subscribed!

Perfect wood choices, perfect specs! I probably wouldn't have done it any other way if I were to commission a build today.

Looking forward to seeing the finished guitar!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Default Progress

Well, we're getting this baby braced up and ready to jam. Here's also a slight change we made to the Purfling/binding strategy using Coco and curly sycamore, and some bloodwood for good measure.

Last edited by invguy921; 03-08-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Looking great, Mike--really love the back and side set you've got on this! I'm sure it will sound spectacular as well...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-06-2015, 10:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Lookin' good! Always a treat to see my bro's work.
Brazilian RW, and it looks cedar linings. This guitar will smell heavenly.
Unless... well... did his cat visit the project in the last photo?

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-07-2015, 05:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks bro. No cats in this one yet. The shop cat has been using another box.
It should smell like an old time pencil but on the plus side no moths to contend with.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:40 PM

Thumbs up Another happy J. Kinnaird OM owner--

The acoustic I have kept the longest (and more importantly, the guitar I play daily) is my 2002 Kinnaird OMK (#33) -- I believe that it is a little deeper than a "standard" OM -- which to me really makes a positive difference, especially with the lower register-
Are you going with a pyramid bridge?

You'll be pleased to know that that my wildly-figured, slab-cut Brazilian back & sides remain stable and crack-free after 13 years.

I know you will be delighted with yours!
Great choice!

Last edited by counsel1; 03-08-2015 at 11:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop