The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Afternoon at Schoenberg Guitars

I've lived close to Schoenberg - well across the Bay - for years, but today was the first time I had visited. Wow, what an exceptional selection of guitars.

The primary purpose of my visit was to play a few examples of 00 and 000 12 fret guitars as a little "research" project for my Circa build. Perhaps my sense of the "vintage Martin sound" was turned on its head a bit today, as I really loved a number of the guitars I played. The big winner for me was the 000-12 body size, and I played a few examples that really floored me.

I was particularly impressed by a few guitars made by Bruce Sexauer:

1) Schoenberg 000C Standard Series - Carpathian and Koa

This guitar was one of my two favorites in the shop. It was so open, LOUD, and warm. The koa back/sides really seemed to fall between mahogany and rosewood tone-wise. It's not really been a wood I've paid much attention to in the past, but this thing was so SATISFYING to play. Very light and lively, with pleasant overtones. I loved this guitar. Not sure how "vintage" (or not) this guitar is, but I could have played that guitar all day.

2) Sexauer FT15 (I think) - Italian Spruce and Sapele. I felt the voicing was in the same neighborhood as the 000. Another light, responsive, and extraordinarily pleasing guitar. I usually think of the sapele/mahogany end of the spectrum as a bit dry for my tastes, but this guitar had so much life it made me understand what people really enjoy about this tone wood. Another fantastic guitar.

3) Sexauer FT15 - Italian Spruce and Brazilian - I actually didn't spend much time with this guitar, but the few minutes I did were very enjoyable. I think I could get at least a reasonable idea of the Sexauer tone with these 3 guitars, and I definitely liked what I heard.

I played 1998 Claxton EM in Sitka and Indian Rosewood that was my other favorite guitar in the shop. Big, big sound and super light and responsive. That guitar resonated like crazy.

The Brondel A-2C in Adi and figured mahogany was another pleasant surprise. This guitar was a bit quieter than the Schoenberg 000-12, but had a great voice and a really warm, expressive tone.

The Eichelbaum 000-12C with koa back and sides was fantastic as well, though I was partial to the Schoenberg.

Lastly, I played a Schoenberg OM build by John Slobod in braz and adirondack that was really special. Another light, lively guitar.

The big surprise for me was just how much I really loved all the 000-style guitars I played. I didn't think of myself as a vintage guy or a Martin guy, but to the extent that the guitars I played today are representative of that sound, I really enjoyed it. I was also surprised how much I really loved the few guitars I played with mahogany (or similar) back and sides. Perhaps I'm so accustomed to rosewood, I haven't given enough of these guitars a chance. It's a glorious sound - a different experience - but very satisfying.

I was utterly impressed by the Sexauers I played - all 3 were what I would consider exceptional guitars.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:48 PM

Sounds like a perfect day, Juston!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

It was. Some phenomenal guitars at Schoenberg and a very pleasant, easy-going staff.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:58 PM

Juston, can't say enough great things about my Sexauer. It's a Swiss/Pernambuco JB15, which is an asymmetrical OMish body shape with 13 frets to the body. Light, responsive, and loud seem to be a familiar theme with Bruce's builds, and mine is no exception.

Last edited by Leftyprs; 07-23-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you, Juston, I am honored.

When I delivered Eric's HGF guitar last Thursday, another 000, I was told it would be hidden in the back pending the show so as to keep it pristine for the buyer, who has already closed the deal, apparently. A little silly since it will be on his table at the Festival, and besides, I'd have liked to hear how it stacks up.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 07-22-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:16 PM

Juston, glad you had a great visit to Schoenberg and yes, Bruce builds a great guitar, so just to bookend leftyprs, here is my p-wood guitar from Bruce........Steve

On the work bench:
Razo 2013 #14 African BW/Sinker like #7 but not

Considering
Sexauer D45 Style Dred in BRW/TBD Traugott TBD - Olson TBD - So many others TBD
Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Wow, really nice. What model is that? How would you guys describe the sound of your Sexaugers?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

I had much of the same experiences there. Bruce makes some mighty fine guitars and he's prolific!

Loved the Slobod 14 fret 000 - I was actually there in the store when the guy decided to run home to grab it and put it up for sale. He mentioned planning to get on John's build list for a 12 fret instead. It wasn't really the right fit for my playing but it was definitely a monster.

I also bonded with that Claxton. Being a 90s one the price is a steal for something that sounds like that. Funny what great builders can do with woods like those. His more recent builds builds are just off the charts awesome.

I didn't play many 00s I connected with as much the day I was there. They've got tons of killer 000-ish things though!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I liked John's 14 fret but I was really digging the 000-12s that day, which I liked even better. Something about the volume, projection, and presence that seem inherent to that body style. The fact that Bruce's guitars were all super lightweight made them seem really alive. Still riding the high from that afternoon of guitar shopping. Not only did I discover a newfound love for 000-12s, but I found some really stellar new (to me) luthiers. Sexauer, Claxton, and Brondel.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Are you gonna stick with ABW/Euro for the 000?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Very good question. It's probably totally up in the air at this point. I'll play some more instruments and circle back with John. I have a year before he'll start building anyway.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:15 PM

Another nice part of getting a hand made guitar...you can get a 13 fret and maybe the best of both worlds.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Interesting trip down memory lane. This is when I realized I loved vintage-oriented (especially Martin) guitars. My collection is now more or less 100% in that tradition.

Since this time, I’ve acquired four Circas (with four on the way). A fantastic Klepper 000-12 that still rings my bell every time I play it. A Fairbanks SJ. Two LeGeyts (definitely vintage oriented voicing), and a very traditional Brondel OM-42. The other Brondels I’ve owned also have a lot of the characteristics of vintage Martins, but they are definitely their own thing.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Smile Wow

Juston, we are all waiting with bated breath for you to thin the proverbial herd!

Hahahaha

What a stash, and what a shopping trip! I am a huge 12 fret cutaway fan, as you may remember from B.I.G. 1

Enjoy the thrill ride!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-18-2023, 09:06 AM

I’ve wanted to visit this shop since I first heard about it. Thank you for digging this thread back up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop