The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

And a couple of days later…

Old 03-21-2023, 06:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

I had my 76th birthday last week, and here is some evidence:

Looks like Haasome is getting my pictures up faster than I am. Gotta love the enthusiasm.

Here are a couple I didn't see last time I looked. The box was closed earlier today after I put I the marriage strip and the label and wrote a few words on the neck block.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Happy Birthday!

As far as the Artisan Guitar Show goes, I wish you had a left-handed guitar to bring! Whatever you bring will be amazing.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Happy Birthday!

As far as the Artisan Guitar Show goes, I wish you had a left-handed guitar to bring! Whatever you bring will be amazing.
I have made at least a half dozen left handed guitars over the years, and charge no more for doing so. But making one on spec seems foolish to me as most left handed people actual play right handed guitars, and chances of the model I chose to make being the one that the potential customer actually wants are quite slim. And if I find myself owning it for the rest of my life, I can’t even play it!

I have a guitar on hand that I made 25 years ago, and somehow put the tone bars in backwards, making it functionally a left hand build if I had set it up that way, which I didn’t. It sounds as good as most of my work, and is not noticeably imbalanced. My point is: with a bridge and nut change, most guitars could be transformed into lefties for a few hundred dollars. Not my JB series, of course, and there is the visual issue of the pick guard . . . If there was one.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
And a couple of days later…

That is beautiful! I know you are on the edge of your seat Haasome! Bruce, wonderfully done as always. I've been going back through your old threads of late, and I never ever get tired of the shots of the bracing before you close the box. They truly are works of art.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
That is beautiful! I know you are on the edge of your seat Haasome! Bruce, wonderfully done as always. I've been going back through your old threads of late, and I never ever get tired of the shots of the bracing before you close the box. They truly are works of art.
I had a major "AHA" moment about 25 years ago when Eric Schoenberg handed me a top from an early '30's OM and I realized it was a sculpture as much as it was a structural piece. It caused me to visualize how the lines of force flowed through it. I have had several break-through moments in my career, but no other quite so poignant.

I am halfway through binding this FT-15-WRX. . . actually, I am a step further, but can only show this:

Old 03-22-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I had a major "AHA" moment about 25 years ago when Eric Schoenberg handed me a top from an early '30's OM and I realized it was a sculpture as much as it was a structural piece. It caused me to visualize how the lines of force flowed through it. I have had several break-through moments in my career, but no other quite so poignant.
Thanks for sharing this and all your insights with us, Bruce. Can't say how appreciated they are!
Old 03-22-2023, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post

I am halfway through binding this FT-15-WRX. . . actually, I am a step further, but can only show this:

I would love for you to expand on this if you are willing and have the time!

P.S. I wouldn't expect you to build a left-handed guitar on spec for the exact reasons you explain.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I would love for you to expand on this if you are willing and have the time!
I don't mean to make light of your request, but I have been expanding on what I saw on that OM top ever since, and you can look at my top bracing pictures here in the AGF an elsewhere and see the results. Explaining it in words is a bit like explaining any art; pretty much beside the point.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:16 PM

Just saw a thread on EVO wire no longer being made, no idea if it is true but since you use it I thought I would share the post in case you need to pick up some more for the next ten years of building. Nice looking cake, the guy behind it is not looking two shabby either.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=667048
Old 03-23-2023, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

What a difference a day makes. Here are a few selected images of Bruce’s creation. Having a front row seat has been a joy.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Just saw a thread on EVO wire no longer being made, no idea if it is true but since you use it I thought I would share the post in case you need to pick up some more for the next ten years of building. Nice looking cake, the guy behind it is not looking two shabby either.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=667048
Thanks for the heads up, Fred. I noticed the problem just today myself, so I call Ed LMI and found they are indeed out of the size wire I favor. They have been kind enough to put aside the next closest size for my approval. I’d rather use the next closest size of EVO than the exact right size of nickel/silver wire. The difference is the crown height, .037 instead of .042. The advantage of .042 is that while it is not TOO high, there is room for an extra fret mill or two as time passes. This is moot, as it turns out, since fifteen years into using EVO wire I have done exactly one maintenance fret mill. I figure most of my customers would come to me for the work if they needed it, since I do not charge for the service on my own work. . . not counting shipping.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Paul's guitar has gone into finish. I sealed the top with varnish so the pore filler would not stain it. The rest has sealer on it to moderate the color from the pore filler yet to come:

I am getting ready to complete the previous build. It has an interesting feature, which is that the back of the neck was stripped and an oil finish applied, much as Violin family instruments are done.

Old 03-25-2023, 07:59 AM

Love that treatment on the neck. Really classy!
Old 03-25-2023, 04:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

And here's that quartersawn tuc back with pore filler and its first coat of varnish:

The medullary display is easily seen as horizontal lines!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop