The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-13-2023, 08:57 AM

Ok, got it sussed out for now. The button in the volume knob is a loudness function for low volumes and the other button on the pick guard bumps the hum bucker to twice the output and passes the volume and tone controls. I also really like the roller nut. Just a tweek on the tuners and you hear it go up or down.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:54 PM

I agree with what others have said. Mod project guitars are great fun, but don't expect to get your money back for them. My main electric is a partscaster. I wanted some specific things that weren't necessarily in my price range, so I built exactly what I wanted for a very low price. It was a fun project, I love the guitar, and I never intend to sell it. If I had the money I probably would go for a higher end guitar that had what I wanted. That way if I didn't like it I could get more money back.

Anyways, I enjoy finding cheap parts or guitars and hot "rodding" them. That's part of the fun of electric guitars for me, you can't really do the same with acoustics.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:44 PM

Frankly, the difference between my Squier and my Mexi were pretty minimal.
In addition, by comparison and all things considered, the American-made Strats of today are way overpriced.
YMMV.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-17-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Frankly, the difference between my Squier and my Mexi were pretty minimal.
In addition, by comparison and all things considered, the American-made Strats of today are way overpriced.
YMMV.
The biggest difference between the Squier and MIM model lines in the Fender catalogue is the finish detail of the necks and the quality of the electronics used.

A good fret dressing and edge finishing along with a swap to American grade electronics turns a Squier into a top notch all around stage performer. That’s the true essence of an American sleeper style hot rod. Nobody really know “what’s under the hood”.

Now as far as American made Stratocasters being way overpriced, well I must disagree. Even if you took an Ultra Lux model Strat and compared it to American made Gibson’s, PRS’s, MusicMan/ErnieBall, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Suhr, Tom Anderson, they are at or below cost of a similar guitar with all the other American sourced models.

Take the entry level American Performer series(my personal favorite) or the ubiquitous American Pro II Series(Fenders best selling American guitar by far right now) for example, both sub two thousand dollar guitars that with minimal care will easily last and be just as playable 75 years from now as they are today. I think that’s a tremendous return on investment. Il’ll take two of each, please. Just put them on my interest free credit account!😹😂😹

frank d.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars