The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-08-2023, 12:24 PM

Default 12s for fingerstyle?

Now that I have my PRS dedicated for lead duties, I’m thinking of setting up my Warmoth Jazzmaster for electric fingerpicking. It has single coils (yeah, a little weird, I know) and a 1.75” nut so it should be pretty well suited. I went from 10s to 11s and that was helpful, but for open tunings I’m thinking I’d do better with 12s. Any suggestions on heavy electric strings? I’m thinking plain 3rd and something where the wounds are kind of mellow; definitely don’t want flats but I would like the treble strings to stand out a bit.

Last edited by Jimi2; 03-08-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Default 12s for fingerstyle?

I’ve used Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky on my old Hondo Lead II, tuned up to Open E and played fingerstyle with a slide.

They feel great, and with their weight and tension, I can keep the action low for fretting without having to worry about hitting frets with the slide.

Oh, and they sound terrific too, with the Danelectro-style lipstick pickups I have installed on this guitar.

IMG_0571.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-08-2023, 03:30 PM

Thanks. How does that plain .024 work out for you? I tried an unwound .022 on an acoustic once and it was wonky.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Thanks. How does that plain .024 work out for you? I tried an unwound .022 on an acoustic once and it was wonky.
On an electric guitar it feels just fine to me - I barely even notice it. Not so on an acoustic, where a plain third feels weird.

The difference probably doesn’t make a lot of sense, but like so many other things guitar-related, it doesn’t necessarily pass close scrutiny
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-08-2023, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
On an electric guitar it feels just fine to me - I barely even notice it. Not so on an acoustic, where a plain third feels weird.

The difference probably doesn’t make a lot of sense, but like so many other things guitar-related, it doesn’t necessarily pass close scrutiny
Yeah, sounds good! I’m looking at a set with. .020 third, so that should work. I think maybe my problem was my Martin not being set up for that .022 - the intonation was bad. Will definitely need a setup on this one too, going from 10s to 12s.

Anyone else playing thick electric strings for fingerstyle? Does it sound like this will work?
Old 03-09-2023, 06:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Now that I have my PRS dedicated for lead duties, I’m thinking of setting up my Warmoth Jazzmaster for electric fingerpicking. It has single coils (yeah, a little weird, I know) and a 1.75” nut so it should be pretty well suited. I went from 10s to 11s and that was helpful, but for open tunings I’m thinking I’d do better with 12s. Any suggestions on heavy electric strings? I’m thinking plain 3rd and something where the wounds are kind of mellow; definitely don’t want flats but I would like the treble strings to stand out a bit.
Jimi,
I use a D'Addario J-22 set on my electrics, with a wound G. They're basically .056-.013. Both are single coil instruments.

Plain G's of any type don't sit well with my ears. I play exclusively in open tunings, primarily open D & open G w/lowC.

As far as the treble strings 'standing out', that would have more to do with your technique than anything. If it's helpful, here's my Warmoth Tele build with Pete Biltoft CC pickups through a Fishman Loudbox Performer:

HE
Old 03-09-2023, 03:51 PM

That is helpful, thanks! Great tone and playing as well!

I don’t even play 13s on my acoustics, so I think I’ll stick with 12s for now. I haven’t been able to get the tone I’m looking for so far, so I hope this will be enough to help.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:31 PM

That sounds great Howard!
Fender EJ Strat
Old 03-09-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
... I went from 10s to 11s and that was helpful, but for open tunings I’m thinking I’d do better with 12s...I’m thinking plain 3rd and something where the wounds are kind of mellow; definitely don’t want flats but I would like the treble strings to stand out a bit.
If you want a true "acoustic" feel stick with a wound G (unwound sounds kinda wonky to me ) and try a set of Martin Monel MM12's - most players don't realize they're magnetic (until LaBella developed flatwounds circa 1940 monels were the go-to string for the first generation of electric players), and once they break in they'll givbe you that clear treble and mellow bass you're looking for,,,
Old 03-10-2023, 03:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
That is helpful, thanks! Great tone and playing as well!

I don’t even play 13s on my acoustics, so I think I’ll stick with 12s for now. I haven’t been able to get the tone I’m looking for so far, so I hope this will be enough to help.
Here's another tonal possibility: Here's the same string set in open G w/low C on my home built 'Shelley', a Strat body with a Warmoth neck and a pair of DeArmond Dynasonic 2000 pickups. I'm using the neck pickup here playing through a 1961 Fender Tremolux combo amp bridged into the Fishman Loudbox Performer.

HE
Old 03-10-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you want a true "acoustic" feel stick with a wound G (unwound sounds kinda wonky to me ) and try a set of Martin Monel MM12's - most players don't realize they're magnetic (until LaBella developed flatwounds circa 1940 monels were the go-to string for the first generation of electric players), and once they break in they'll givbe you that clear treble and mellow bass you're looking for,,,
Great idea, Steve. I actually put a set of Daddario nickel bronze acoustic strings on my PRS electric, and those sound great, so that’s another option. I have a set of Daddario pure nickel 12s on the way, so I’ll start with those. But monels could work too.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Here's another tonal possibility: Here's the same string set in open G w/low C on my home built 'Shelley', a Strat body with a Warmoth neck and a pair of DeArmond Dynasonic 2000 pickups. I'm using the neck pickup here playing through a 1961 Fender Tremolux combo amp bridged into the Fishman Loudbox Performer.

HE
Sounds great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars