The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2023, 11:04 PM

Jumbo 6 string options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Silly Moustache is correct; he's calling it a Super Jumbo because that's what it is. The SJ in SJ-200 stands for Super Jumbo.
For what it's worth, my Gibson J-200 does not have an 'S' prefix. The label simply states "J-200".

This is all a marketing mess originated in the 1930s by Gibson people.

I gather there was an 'SJ' model dreadnought and also some 'J' models a few years before the introduction of the "J-200" model around 1937. Gibson custom-made this from a design by Ray Whitley. That actual guitar is in the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Over the years Gibson has referred to this model as both a J-200 and an SJ-200. Go figure. The '200' part is because they originally offered the commercial model for $200.00.

So either nomenclature could be deemed correct is seems.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 09-29-2023 at 07:09 AM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 09-28-2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Try to find a Guild JF-30. Jumbo Guild maple tone for way less $ than an F-50 or F-55.
Absolutely
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 09-29-2023, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
If you want to call it a super Jumbo, that's fine...which Super Jumbo would you recommend?
Stonehauler, I don't think I can help much in this as SJs aren't really my style.

I did have a '50s Gibson SJ200 once but it was so battered and misused that it wasn't fair to judge.

I worked with a young lady a few years ago who had an SJ-150 which was a very nice, warm sounding guitar.

I had a Martin J-40 for a short while - neck to thin and shallow for me

If I were looking now, I'd investigate the Eastman AC630

Old 09-29-2023, 03:23 AM

Old 09-29-2023, 05:48 AM

Quote:
...How well does the carbon fiber hold up compared to a traditional wood guitar?
No worries about temperature, humidity, warping, cracks, loose binding, seam separation, neck twisting, delamination, etc. - strong as it gets (they use this stuff to make nitro-burning Funny Car bodies - and those guys [and gals] hit 330+ MPH in less than 1/4-mile ) and size-for-size the lightest guitar you'll ever play...

You need one of these...
Old 09-29-2023, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
No worries about temperature, humidity, warping, cracks, loose binding, seam separation, neck twisting, delamination, etc. - strong as it gets (they use this stuff to make nitro-burning Funny Car bodies - and those guys [and gals] hit 330+ MPH in less than 1/4-mile ) and size-for-size the lightest guitar you'll ever play...

You need one of these...
I disagree about the last part of your statement. My smallest guitar (smallest by far) is carbon fiber and it is far from my lightest. Nor does it feel especially strong to me - but then I haven't abused it to find out. It needs only occasional tweaking when tuning.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
McAlister baritone Adk/Bubinga
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
banjos, mandolin, autoharp..
Old 09-29-2023, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Best J200 instrument I've played—and I've owned and played many—is the Brad Goodman J200. Unlike most jumbos, this one pours out rich tone without needing to play it hard. Perhaps because it's more lightly, but superbly, built, you don't need to wrestle it to make sweet music.

Ryan Cathedral Grand Signature (Malaysian Blackwood/Adirondack)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Sitka/Quilted Maple)
Goodall Rosewood Jumbo 12-string (EIR/Sitka)
Martin M-36
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Fender Custom Shop Artisan Strat
Old 09-29-2023, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

The Eastman AC 630 jumbo is really quite the instrument. Plays nice and looks good. I acquired mine from a forum member and, after playing it a fair amount, would buy one at retail (sic) from a dealer with no regrets.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:05 PM

Sorry I’m a little late to the party but a 20-yr-old Larrivee or Taylor jumbo might just fit the bill… Willie Watson plays a Larrivee jumbo, although he gets a super-particular tone by picking very close to the bridge.

I do love my Taylor 415 jumbo. You might also try a used Taylor AD17, although it’s not strictly a jumbo.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Iris makes a fantastic super jumbo for less money than a J-200. It’s a no frills boutique build with no frills but high end wood. I have one and/or a J-200 I would sell bc having both is redundant.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
All,

I know I've said that my guitar buying days are over...and they might still be, but I've been thinking of getting a jumbo 6 string. I have a dread (laminate b/s, my travel guitar) that sounds really good, an 814 that is very nice, but really misses the bottom end, and a 12 string jumbo (Guild F-512 Maple). The 12 string is my favorite of all of them, but I am wondering if a Jumbo 6 might be the answer I am looking for in a 6 string.

So, the biggest issue is I am not sure I want to spend 3-6k for a US jumbo. Obviously, the big three would be Taylor 18 series, the Gibson SJ-200, or the Guild F-55.

But what are people's thoughts on the Guild F40 or the F-150, or the Epiphone J-200 (IBG line)?

Good bottom end is important, but it also needs to have a lot of balance to it as well. Nothing muddy or mushy about the low E, but solid bass support and then good tone all the way through. I play for me and my family. No one sings when I play because none of us have any kind of a voice, so no need for a guitar that "supports the singer" as the expense of it's own tone.

No need for electronics. I play, I don't gig, and it's a jumbo. It should produce plenty of sound all on it's own. It is has electronics, that's nice, but if two are equal except for the electronics, it won't matter to me.

Throwing out something to mess up the works...should I be looking at a baritone guitar for the better low end support....
I just bought an Iris ND-200 jumbo 6 string from a nice gentleman in this forum, and love it. Full beautiful sound, something to consider. https://www.irisguitarcompany.com/
1992 Alvarez Yairi 12 string
1975 Yamaha FG-200
2022 Iris ND-200 jumbo
Old 10-01-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post
Iris makes a fantastic super jumbo for less money than a J-200. It’s a no frills boutique build with no frills but high end wood. I have one and/or a J-200 I would sell bc having both is redundant.
Totally agree, I own an Iris ND-200 jumbo 6 string, and with a 1 3/4" nut, love it.
1992 Alvarez Yairi 12 string
1975 Yamaha FG-200
2022 Iris ND-200 jumbo
Old 10-01-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
...Nor does it feel especially strong to me - but then I haven't abused it to find out...
An NHRA-spec carbon-fiber Funny Car body is 18 feet long, 4-1/2 feet high, 7 feet wide - and weighs under 100 pounds...

In the course of a run (0 to 330+ MPH in under 4 seconds) it's subjected to acceleration forces in excess of 5G's - by comparison the Space Shuttle only achieved 3G's on takeoff...

As long as it was built right, I wouldn't worry too much about strength - but as a matter of principle I wouldn't abuse it either...
Old 10-03-2023, 08:46 AM

After talking with my wife, we are going to look at Jumbos for my upcoming "big" birthday. (has a 0 in it).

Since it will be my birthday gift, I am going to look at everything and see what I see.

Curious. If you have a D-18 like guitar, and my Sigma is so close in sound to a D-18 that I would never buy a D-18 because I have "close enough" already, would you consider a Hummingbird or a J-45 or would a full blown jumbo? (Super Jumbo if you must go by Gibson's nomenclature, even though everyone else just calls it a Jumbo). I doubt I could get her let me buy two.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 10-03-2023, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

If you could find a used Goodall Jumbo for your price range you'd be quite pleased with it, a Goodall is tough to beat at any price point period.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion