The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2023, 09:24 AM

I'm probably somewhere in the middle. I'm not wiping everything down before and after playing. I don't go out of my way to ensure the guitar never gets a ding, but I'm VERY accurate with a pick and my fingers. Living in the Midwest means I'm obligated to pay attention to humidity if I don't want to do truss rod adjustments twice a year, send stuff in for fret sprout, cracks, etc.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
PS -

I sold my D-28 because it made me feel like a babysitter.
Yeah, it's the guitar's fault....😉

Sounds like you're both better off now.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

https://youtu.be/P-NgeXl-PPA

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 09-11-2023, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

About the only "pampering" I do is keep them in racks in a humidity controlled room, clean them up with each string change, and "try" not to ding them. Other than that, I bought them to play...and when I do, there's no pampering involved.
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 09-11-2023, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I use Lemon Pledge furniture polish to clean mine, is that abuse?
Old 09-11-2023, 11:25 AM

I play and thats it.
They travel on the backseat or trunk, no guitar case.
Things are to be used, and they may fade eventually.
Just like myself.

Youtubechannel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-M...Vbk1XI5Cy4NA7g
My goal: 3-4 paid gigs per week.
I'm halfway there.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:57 AM

I don't abuse 'em, but I definitely use 'em! (and they look like that)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-11-2023, 09:20 PM

I don’t pamper mine. I am a player, not a collector. Fully half or more hang on the walls in my music room. My guitars are all in good shape, but a large # of them are between 20-60 years old.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:14 PM

I have guitars that I adore and are things I had no hope of owning when was a kid with my nose up against a shop window. I get a good feeling when I look at them and being in great cared-for-condition is part of that.
I think players who don’t care may be happier in another way but that’s not me.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I am a player, not a collector. Fully half or more hang on the walls in my music room.
So...is that somehow to infer that real "players" don't pamper the guitars? The higher ground here doesn't make sense, at least to me. I still make my living with acoustic guitars, at least in part. I don't know if that makes me a bonified "player" or not, " and where I don't necessarily pamper my guitars, I take extraordinary care of my instruments. They, at the very least, for sonic day-in and day-out consistency, need to sound similar, and that, particularly here at the beach, takes concerted effort, perhaps even pampering. At this point in my career, I don't think, in so, it makes me a collector and not a player. Maybe I'm misguided.

The whole "guitars were meant to be played, not babied" mantra seems often misplaced, again, at least for me. I have a decent locker of great mics I've accumulated over the years, and where I can agree mics were meant to be sung into doesn't mean I ignore the apparent care it takes to keep susceptible mics in decent working order. Some of my Neumanns take extraordinary pampering, and I learned that lesson the costly and disproportionately hard way.

I dunno. Pampering (whatever that may be), for me, doesn't dismiss someone as a "player." I have a tough time with that connection. That's just me, though.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:05 AM

I keep my most expensive guitar in its case when I'm not playing it, but I have a cheaper one I keep hanging up in my office room. I don't have space for a music room so I usually don't leave my nice instruments out.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
So...is that somehow to infer that real "players" don't pamper the guitars?
My exact thoughts as I read some of the comments. I frequently play all of my guitars. I don't treat them like white glove collectables, but I do my best to take great care of them. It's not just a cosmetic thing since guitars that are treated like hell typically sound like hell.
2021 Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition (Lutz Top)
2021 Eastman E40 OM (Adirondack Top)
2010 Taylor GS Mini All Mahogany
2005 Taylor Koa T-5 Custom

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 09-12-2023, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So...is that somehow to infer that real "players" don't pamper the guitars?

---

I dunno. Pampering (whatever that may be), for me, doesn't dismiss someone as a "player." I have a tough time with that connection. That's just me, though.
Perhaps we have a semantic issue with "pampering." One person's pampering is another person's "hermetically sealed, white glove treatment" and another person's "wipe it down and avoid Ronson lighter fluid."

There are a spectrum of owners and players, so not surprising there is a spectrum of opinions and behaviors. My instruments get gigged and on gigs, stuff happens. Doesn't matter how careful you are - especially if you're playing in an ensemble situation and/or in an environment that isn't carefully controlled, like out on a pier over the ocean or a busy club/restaurant.

If an instrument never leaves the house, then pampering probably has one definition. If it does leave the house, probably a different one become some can't imagine a nice instrument being taken out into the elements for hours on end.

Aforementioned gig on Santa Barbara pier - we play out on the deck (I'm on one of my Rob Allen fretless basses for these). Shot is from Nov, was in the low 60's. I don't drop my instruments in the ocean, but it also ain't environmentally controlled. I have a regular gig on acoustic guitar at another venue, outdoor courtyard on the shore a few blocks in from the water.

Old 09-12-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
Perhaps we have a semantic issue with "pampering." One person's pampering is another person's "hermetically sealed, white glove treatment" and another person's "wipe it down and avoid Ronson lighter fluid."
We do have a semantic issue, I agree I have been a poet warrior defending any idiosyncratic habits, wants, and pursuits that we all have as fans of acoustic guitars. You name it: bridge pins, nuts, new tuners, an infinity towards Rosewood, Taylor, or Martin. If those pursuits are enjoyable and relaxing in a sometimes wearisome world, I'll support them, even if it seems somewhat extreme to me. I get a tad sideways, however, when in that pursuit, there is an inference that that's not something a "player" would do. Maybe that's not the intent here, and I'm misreading things, but that sentiment often feels like a claim to higher ground. Somehow, a "player" should be taken more seriously than a "collector." As I've said, it's probably just me, but I don't feel a player has a wider berth than a collector.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
We do have a semantic issue, I agree I have been a poet warrior defending any idiosyncratic habits, wants, and pursuits that we all have as fans of acoustic guitars. You name it: bridge pins, nuts, new tuners, an infinity towards Rosewood, Taylor, or Martin. If those pursuits are enjoyable and relaxing in a sometimes wearisome world, I'll support them, even if it seems somewhat extreme to me. I get a tad sideways, however, when in that pursuit, there is an inference that that's not something a "player" would do. Maybe that's not the intent here, and I'm misreading things, but that sentiment often feels like a claim to higher ground. Somehow, a "player" should be taken more seriously than a "collector." As I've said, it's probably just me, but I don't feel a player has a wider berth than a collector.
To be fair, the moral high ground is occupied by both camps to varying degrees. And other rogue warriors (e.g. budget vs high dollar instruments) aspire to occupy the territory.

One problem I've seen over now almost 3 decades of online forums is a tendency towards "experience blinders" - many have never walked a mile in another's moccasins. Some have never collected, others have never gigged, so the tendencies of that other population seem foreign. To quote Grandpa Simpson:

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it*, and what's *it* seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion