The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-19-2023, 09:25 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 4,732
Default Hatcher 100th Guitar!

When you build your first guitar somebody tells you "Well, you won't really start figuring this out until you've built seven guitars"

When you've built seven somebody else says,"You don't really get going until after you've built twenty five guitars"

At twenty five you're told forty.

By fifty you know not to listen to anybody unless they have built more guitars than whatever magic number they're touting.

At 100 there just aren't that many makers who have built more than 100 and the ones that did have built enough guitars to know that you never really do know what you're doing.

That's the real magic of creating guitars. The day I think I know what I'm doing will be the day the magic is gone.

Mark
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com


ďLet me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.Ē. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 05-19-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2023, 09:33 AM
jaymarsch jaymarsch is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Posts: 10,369
Default

Congratulations, Mark! What a fabulous achievement. As an owner of several handmade guitars, I always like to know where those guitars fall in the evolution of each luthierís journey. You must be thrilled to know that those 100 guitars are keeping 100 players inspired about their music every day.
Best,
Jayne
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2023, 10:11 AM
Treenewt Treenewt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: The Ol' North State
Posts: 5,115
Default

Congrats Mark! I honestly figured you were FAR beyond that number now with the skill level and quality of your work! Can't wait to see this special one take shape!
__________________
Treenewt

Larrivťe OM-03
Eastman E8OM-TC
Eastman E2D-CD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2023, 11:23 AM
canuck7's Avatar
canuck7 canuck7 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oak Harbor WA
Posts: 519
Default

I did too! I was thinking in the hundreds!!
__________________
Jeff

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2023, 11:34 AM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 35,237
Default

Congrats!

Your guitars always held a special attraction for me. Excellent workmanship.
__________________

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

YouTube Celtic playlist

YouTube nylon playlist

Orion {Arr: Jason Mollberg}:



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2023, 11:37 AM
MThomson MThomson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 708
Default

Congratulations on the milestone and best wishes for enjoying the rest of your journey.
__________________
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2023, 11:57 AM
j. Kinnaird j. Kinnaird is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,928
Default

A significant milestone Mark. Looking at your guitars I would have assumed that you had made many more than that.
__________________
Kinnaird Guitars
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2023, 12:04 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 5,088
Default

Congrats Mark... As you well know, the total number is never as important as the goal of the current guitar on one's bench being your very best...
__________________
A bunch of nice archtops, flattops, a gypsy & nylon stringsÖ
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2023, 12:14 PM
rule18's Avatar
rule18 rule18 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Orange County, NY
Posts: 1,364
Default

Congrats on a (continuing) job well done!!
__________________
{ o}===::: Craig
________________________
2003 Gibson J45
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-19-2023, 12:15 PM
Lonzo Lonzo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 446
Default Ok, soo..

..the ones I know āhands onĎ are double digit.. but great in any respect...
The Elephant in the room: which one is it ? Have we seen some of it already without knowing about the 100... or is it yet to come?

Congrats Mark ! If until 100 is so good - where will you take us ?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-19-2023, 03:08 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 4,732
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Congratulations, Mark! What a fabulous achievement. As an owner of several handmade guitars, I always like to know where those guitars fall in the evolution of each luthierís journey. You must be thrilled to know that those 100 guitars are keeping 100 players inspired about their music every day.
Best,
Jayne
Thank you Jayne, I do get a lot of satisfaction being able to contribute to the artists making music from our creations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Congrats Mark! I honestly figured you were FAR beyond that number now with the skill level and quality of your work! Can't wait to see this special one take shape!
Thanks Treenewt. I didnít figure out what I wanted to do when I grew up until I was 45. I was already a woodworker for many years, Iíd owned Hobby shops and made a lot of R/C sailplanes, I managed a photography store and I had a jewelry making business. Mix it all up and you get Hatcher guitars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
I did too! I was thinking in the hundreds!!
Thanks, yeah, an average of a little less than 5 a year for about 23 years. My first guitar took 2 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Congrats!

Your guitars always held a special attraction for me. Excellent workmanship.
Thanks TBman, itís my joy to build guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Congratulations on the milestone and best wishes for enjoying the rest of your journey.
Wait till you see the next 100!

m
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com


ďLet me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.Ē. Andrew Fletcher
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-19-2023, 03:16 PM
BrunoBlack's Avatar
BrunoBlack BrunoBlack is offline
Picker
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 10,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
When you build your first guitar somebody tells you "Well, you won't really start figuring this out until you've built seven guitars"

When you've built seven somebody else says,"You don't really get going until after you've built twenty five guitars"

At twenty five you're told forty.

By fifty you know not to listen to anybody unless they have built more guitars than whatever magic number they're touting.

At 100 there just aren't that many makers who have built more than 100 and the ones that did have built enough guitars to know that you never really do know what you're doing.

That's the real magic of creating guitars. The day I think I know what I'm doing will be the day the magic is gone.

Mark
Congratulations Mark. Iím not buying the Bold comment above. Iíve watched you for a while and youíve become a Master. Carry on in good health.
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-19-2023, 03:19 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 4,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
A significant milestone Mark. Looking at your guitars I would have assumed that you had made many more than that.
Thanks John, that coming from a luthier is certainly a compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congrats Mark... As you well know, the total number is never as important as the goal of the current guitar on one's bench being your very best...
Thatís what it is all about really. Challenging yourself with each build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
Congrats on a (continuing) job well done!!
Thanks rule18, Itís been a great ride so far! Iím planning to keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
..the ones I know āhands onĎ are double digit.. but great in any respect...
The Elephant in the room: which one is it ? Have we seen some of it already without knowing about the 100... or is it yet to come?

Congrats Mark ! If until 100 is so good - where will you take us ?
Iíve had a couple peaks of it so far but Iíll do the build thread. Rather than go the full bling route (which is certainly a great way to go). Iím going to go with a different approach try to show where Iíve been and where Iím going.

m
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com


ďLet me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.Ē. Andrew Fletcher
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-19-2023, 03:25 PM
difalkner difalkner is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NW Louisiana
Posts: 1,132
Default

Congrats!! And your guitars are so exceptional - excellent job! I only have 99 to go to catch up to you, as well.
__________________
David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-19-2023, 05:18 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Green Mountains
Posts: 4,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Congratulations Mark. Iím not buying the Bold comment above. Iíve watched you for a while and youíve become a Master. Carry on in good health.
Thanks Haasome, The thing about guitars is that there are so many complex systems interacting with each other they are what conscientious scientists refer to as art.

I'm not saying I don't know anything. I know how and why I do what i do with a good control of the outcome. I also know luthiers who do things that I consider big red flags in my studio and I don't understand why their guitars sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Congrats!! And your guitars are so exceptional - excellent job! I only have 99 to go to catch up to you, as well.
I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I have!
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com


ďLet me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.Ē. Andrew Fletcher
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=