The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-01-2022, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Steve Sheriff of Edwinson has been adding dual ports, one in the upper and lower bought. I played a couple at BIG and don’t recall thinking that my arm blocked the lower port. The guitars sounded amazing. Of course there’s no way to know if it would sound “better” or “worse” without a lower port (although I guess you can cover it and test), but based on how they sound now, I wouldn’t change anything in those guitars.

Back to the original thread, if I didn’t have two kids in college, having just added another car payment, I would LOVE a guitar built around this theme!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-01-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
In terms of forward projection, I have read many articles, posts, etc. that say the forward projection of the guitar with a sound port is actually better than those without. I remember one in which there was a sliding cover that could be used to open and close the port and they discover that forward projection was indeed better with the port open by measuring decibel levels I believe.

Interesting! At first I wouldn't have expected that, but thinking through it I see how it could make sense, eg., if having a single soundhole means that the top has to vibrate in and out faster than pressure can equalize inside the box, which leads to the compression of air inside the box that would push back on and dampen the top's vibration. Having a second hole somewhere else in the guitar would allow for air pressure to remain more consistent throughout the top's range of vibration, allowing it to vibrate more freely. So it could arguably also produce a wider dynamic range and more sustain.

Not sure if it's true, but that's the explanation I'll be assuming until someone comes up with something better

(also appreciate Mark's comments, just nothing to add or follow up with)
Old 12-02-2022, 04:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Back to the original thread, if I didn’t have two kids in college, having just added another car payment, I would LOVE a guitar built around this theme!!
Thanks mikealpine! It would be a fun theme to build around. I could see using some desert woods like Mesquite or Desert Ironwood.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop