The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-10-2018, 04:58 PM

Default S Brothers, New British c.f guitar maker.

Happened across this while fishing in the bay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sbrothers...YAAOSwf05a7KoR

Never heard of them before, so I had a look for their website : http://www.sbrotherscomposite.co.uk/

So, new kid on the block, interesting eh ? Look a bit like Rainsongs, comparatively cheap, wonder if they are any good ?

Test pilot required.... KRAMSTER !!
Old 05-10-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post

Test pilot required.... KRAMSTER !!
Me?? Whud I do?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I've ever seen dimensions specified to 5 places of decimals. I foresee a new level of imagined nitpickery.

"I can't possibly play a nut width of 1.75200 - it has to be at least 1.75250."

Seriously, I'd wait until their website is a little more coherent.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Guest 928

I thought the Smothers Brothers retired? I went to the site--it was under construction. I'd buy one if it was made by Dick.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I thought the Smothers Brothers retired? I went to the site--it was under construction. I'd buy one if it was made by Dick.
He played an upright right?
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-10-2018, 07:04 PM

The thin body sho is thin..a lil like the Ovation kinda look.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
The thin body sho is thin..a lil like the Ovation kinda look.
Yeah, the "shallow dish" version.

Since Long Jon is the "local" guy on this one, I'd say it's up to him to buy one and report back to us.

Oh, and Tommy played the upright bass. (insert your own "you don't know the other Smothers brother" joke here)
Old 05-11-2018, 03:06 AM

Upon further study of the eBay guy’s listing, he appears to have sold several of these guitars already and has 100% positive feedback.

He is selling them for about half of the advertised prices,
which smells a little fishy,,,,
but could be a completely “normal” business model , like Martin’s silly MSRP prices that nobody actually ever pays.

Boys, if these were Emeralds , I’d be snappin ‘em up ...... but I’m not really a gambling man.

OK OK ... I’ll check out the returns policy, but I’ve got a lot on my plate just now , so don’t hold yer breath.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:09 AM

You go Long Jon...get photos too!
Old 05-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Guest 928

These really look good and the price seems unbelievable. Jon, can you visit the maker, take pictures and play the various guitars?
Old 05-11-2018, 02:37 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Wow - these look really interesting. Would love to give one a test drive. I like how thin the roundback model looks. I have one of the CA X models from a long time ago that is thin but not that thin.

JR
Old 05-11-2018, 03:06 PM

I had an ole Xi for awhile...should ouda kept it...sigh... low tension string would have been good on it I think
Old 05-11-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
These really look good and the price seems unbelievable. Jon, can you visit the maker, take pictures and play the various guitars?
Why sure Evan, being as this is little olde England, there’s a good chance I already know them, or at least know someone who does.

It’s only a couple hundred miles away , via the notorious M6 motorway ( the only toll road in Britain, know why they put the toll on it ?
To try and reduce the horrendous amount of almost stationary traffic that continues to clog it up daily.)

Still, that’ll be no trouble for a willin’ old trucker like me, (that’s TRUCKER)
After all, I been from Tuscon to Tucumcari, Tehachipi to Tonapah , driven every kinda rig that’s ever been made etc. ....
I just need three things ....

OR, I could take a train for only a couple hundred return.... but what if I meet a gambler on the train, who commences to tell me his sad life story, using poker as an analogy ? That would be a terrible burden.

I think the only way to try one is to buy one and get it sent. The eBay fellah will take a return within 14 days, buyer pays return postage.

I forsee a possible teeny problem with that one,,,,, what if it’s really good ?!

What if it sounds loads better than the X20 ?!

What if it even sounds nearly as good as the X20 ?!

What if I miss the return deadline ?!

My bank acc. Will be empty and my place will start looking like Castle Kramster !
Old 05-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Here’s a young feller that’s got one and seems to like it.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
my place will start looking like Castle Kramster !
Whud I do??...any way... I reread your post with a British accent (Queens Proper) and then a a Liverpoolian, and then Cockney... all works swell enough... Irish didn't seem to apply in this case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber