The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-08-2018, 08:41 PM

It does show up, but it's subtle. I had actually gotten a carbon fiber one earlier (like further up the thread), but I decided it looked too similar to the top.

I used the Taylor shape with a custom radius to line up perfectly with the rosette. I think it looks great.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:41 AM

I posted the link to the parlor above. I was looking for a parlor when i stumbled upon this one, and the pick-guard partially sold me on it. It looks so right on it, and i think goes so well against the blue. Not sure about a CF one on a black top though. I agree that acoustics need a guard to look finished and I am a pinkie planter so I like the feel of the guard under my pinkie rather than the bare top
Old 05-14-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I have a Rainsong CH-OM. It has no pickguard and everything on it is black. I have a clear removal pickguard, but it shows all kinds of bubbles. Anyway, for some contrast, I was thinking of adding a tortoise pickguard. I want it to be thin enough that it doesn't really impede the acoustic sound. Any thoughts?
I looked at a used Emerald X7. It had no pickguard and was very badly scratched. Were I to have such an instrument, I'd put a clear pickguard on it. Not one of those cheesy Taylor temporary static-cling things, but a real clear guard made from decent material from StewMac or another legit guitar source.

The great Frank Ford has a video tutorial on YouTube on how to install a clear guard without trapping air bubbles. I used it to install a clear guard on a Taylor, and it was flawless.

I have also seen a clear guard on a Blackbird Savoy. Invisible, and smart.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:26 PM

I put one of the clear plastic cling pickguards on my Sunburst H-WS. Didn't leave it on for long because I just didn't like the way it looked. I haven't checked lately, but don't remember noticing any scratches.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:41 PM

Default I use this...

On my CA

https://www.stringsbymail.com/kling-...lear-1315.html
Old 05-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
I looked at a used Emerald X7. It had no pickguard and was very badly scratched. Were I to have such an instrument, I'd put a clear pickguard on it. Not one of those cheesy Taylor temporary static-cling things, but a real clear guard made from decent material from StewMac or another legit guitar source.

The great Frank Ford has a video tutorial on YouTube on how to install a clear guard without trapping air bubbles. I used it to install a clear guard on a Taylor, and it was flawless.

I have also seen a clear guard on a Blackbird Savoy. Invisible, and smart.
Thanks for sharing that video!
Old 05-15-2018, 03:32 PM
*mahoganut*

I put a black one on my Rainsong OM1100 - to allow me to avoid the snare-drum-with-brushes background when I want to. (Mine has the rough finished top). I think it came from Stew-Mac - just the standard black plastic-ky one. I trimmed it a bit to make the curves not crowd the edge of the guitar.

(sorry - didn't know this photo needs rotating, and couldn't do that within the forum posting)

Best,
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.jpg (43.1 KB, 73 views)

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 05-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
I put a black one on my Rainsong OM1100 - to allow me to avoid the snare-drum-with-brushes background when I want to. (Mine has the rough finished top). I think it came from Stew-Mac - just the standard black plastic-ky one. I trimmed it a bit to make the curves not crowd the edge of the guitar.

(sorry - didn't know this photo needs rotating, and couldn't do that within the forum posting)

Best,
Phil
That black guard looks good.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:11 AM

I do add a clear coat carbon fiber pickguard in case I lent to someone for trying my guitar. It is interesting that you cannot see the pickguard from an angle but notable from the other angle.

[IMG]PICT_20180520_230132 by Douglas Fan, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]PICT_20180520_230204 by Douglas Fan, on Flickr[/IMG]

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber