The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-20-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

So, this afternoon, we were having a cookout with about 30 people on our patio. We were on song #4 of 6 of the singalong, and a sprinkle of rain started. Someone asked me if I was worried about my guitar (Emerald X20) getting a little wet, I just smiled and played on...okay, I did pick up the tempo a little.

Carbon fiber rules.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:26 AM

Yep. X20 ‘s are really great guitars.

Had a few friends back to my yard for a few beers yesterday afternoon. Blazing hot day.
Had the two Emeralds out there being passed around, while my other guitars cowered in their cases.

No worries.

Lots of wood guys fancy coming over, but money’s tight, most of my pals have never spent more than 300 or so on any guitar.

Sorry, not a single pic of this event ! (I guess we were all SO excited about the big wedding and all).
Actually I got my iPad out to point at something a couple of times, but they are absolutely hopeless at taking pics in sun as you cannot see the screen.

Here’s some naughty nudie shots the gals today. Just chillin’ and catchin’ some remaining rays .

Carbon fibre lures !
Old 05-21-2018, 04:41 AM

Talking

Oh my Gawd! Do not use THAT word and those types of pics when Slick is in the room. He is just gettin over his howling from when he saw a n**e pic on this here very forum. Y'all gotta remember this here is a family site.

Now, I gotta go get my bottle of Hog#3 and give poor Slick a jigger to settle him down.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:22 AM

I used to shoot shots sorta like that back in the day..

And some in the old "Cargonian" episodes from days of yore.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-21-2018, 05:24 AM

And for Braindead..

Here is an old OX shot from way back ...

And having at some billiards

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-21-2018, 05:36 AM

Here's a lil RainSong being all sexy on some sexy stuff... hope it's not too over the (CF) top. And you can handle it in a mature way...Ha, never mind, forgot who I am showing this to...oops.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

And, when not gigging with your CF guitar, they make interesting photo subjects!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome, Kramster and Captain Jim! Actually, I bought an X7, not the X20... Apparently Emerald did a re-boot of the guitar and I was very fortunate in my timing with a pre-order. It's still a month away.

All of the specs amounted to what I consider my "dream guitar." Stainless steel frets, arm contour, and regarding the X7... a 12 fret design. Carbon fiber consistency is what sealed the deal as all the gigs that I have lined up for summer are outdoors. My Martin is just too sensitive to temp and humidity changes for me to be able to rely on.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 AM

For the first time since I got Slick, I had to force him back into his case. I can still hear him howling from two rooms away. You people are without any mercy and I think this episode will have lasting effects. I just hope I can get him into tune again.

Last edited by Braindead; 05-21-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Ahhh, that must be why you can't order the X7 on line....the menu is not there any longer. Interesting
Old 05-21-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Ahhh, that must be why you can't order the X7 on line....the menu is not there any longer. Interesting
I had a few questions for Emerald and used their live chat box. Whoever I spoke with at the time gave me the details and hooked me up with the pre-order. It's gonna be hard waiting a month for the guitar but I have no doubts that it'll be worth it. Emerald guitars look like they're gonna be my latest obsession. :-) I'm really glad to have found them.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwild View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome, Kramster and Captain Jim! Actually, I bought an X7, not the X20... Apparently Emerald did a re-boot of the guitar and I was very fortunate in my timing with a pre-order. It's still a month away.

All of the specs amounted to what I consider my "dream guitar." Stainless steel frets, arm contour, and regarding the X7... a 12 fret design. Carbon fiber consistency is what sealed the deal as all the gigs that I have lined up for summer are outdoors. My Martin is just too sensitive to temp and humidity changes for me to be able to rely on.
Congrats! I like 12-fret guitars, but both of my Emeralds are 14-fret. That said, I think a 12-fret X7 would add some bass and warmth to the overall tone. Just to get you worked up for your new acquisition: the X7 is a delightful guitar, definitely the most comfortable acoustic guitar I've played. I'm looking forward to the new models announcement at Emerald's 20th Anniversary affair.

My X7 has been with us from the humid Gulf Coast to the Pacific Northwest to the desert southwest to the cool coast of Maine. It laughs at all the environment changes and just keeps sounding and playing great! I'm excited to hear your impressions with this updated version.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Congrats! I like 12-fret guitars, but both of my Emeralds are 14-fret. That said, I think a 12-fret X7 would add some bass and warmth to the overall tone. Just to get you worked up for your new acquisition: the X7 is a delightful guitar, definitely the most comfortable acoustic guitar I've played. I'm looking forward to the new models announcement at Emerald's 20th Anniversary affair.

My X7 has been with us from the humid Gulf Coast to the Pacific Northwest to the desert southwest to the cool coast of Maine. It laughs at all the environment changes and just keeps sounding and playing great! I'm excited to hear your impressions with this updated version.
Thanks Captain Jim, that's exactly what I wanted to hear (or read, regarding environmental changes)! The person that I spoke with at Emerald told me that they can make a 12 fret version of the X20, so that's going to be my next guitar. I'm going to be selling my HD28 soon.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new guitar acwild, I've been wanting a 12 fret X20 for awhile, but would have to sell my present X20 to fund it, I like it too much to risk that change. Can't wait to see your feedback on your X7....FYI, I left mine out on the deck all night a couple days ago. I had it tucked away from the dog and forgot it. Our humidity out there is 8% !! It was out there a day and a half, went thru a 40 degree temp change and could have cared less. LOL Still in tune and happy, I would never do that with my Martin ! And don't really like doing it with my Emerald !! Your wait will be worth it !!
Old 05-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Congrats on your new guitar acwild, I've been wanting a 12 fret X20 for awhile, but would have to sell my present X20 to fund it, I like it too much to risk that change. Can't wait to see your feedback on your X7....FYI, I left mine out on the deck all night a couple days ago. I had it tucked away from the dog and forgot it. Our humidity out there is 8% !! It was out there a day and a half, went thru a 40 degree temp change and could have cared less. LOL Still in tune and happy, I would never do that with my Martin ! And don't really like doing it with my Emerald !! Your wait will be worth it !!
Wow, John, I think this is getting pretty close to guitar neglect/abuse. In the interest of protecting these fine instruments, we may have to do an intervention and take your Emerald into protective custody until your ability to care for it can be determined.

Oh, wait - it's carbon fiber... in the words of the philosopher Emily Litella: nevermind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber