The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-06-2017, 03:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hope to string the Uke later today after I return from the dentist.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

I know, it's not a guitar. But it is really cool IMO, and there will be a guitar to drool over in just a few days. Meanwhile, this instrument seems to be be pretty decent to my not particularly Uke-savvy ear. Like most of my work, the fundamental is very strong and the overtones are present without being particularly shrill. Of course it is only an hour old, so the story has barely begun.

Greg will play it tomorrow as we are double dating to hear a woman mandolinist (whose name escapes me at the moment) at the Freight and Salvage in Berkeley. Perhaps he will have an opinion to offer.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

That's really gorgeous Bruce. Perhaps the only Tree uke I've seen? I bet it sounds as good as it looks.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful...
Old 07-06-2017, 07:36 PM

Looks great Bruce! I love the veining in the wood. I'm sure the owner will be thrilled.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
That's really gorgeous Bruce. Perhaps the only Tree uke I've seen? I bet it sounds as good as it looks.
I have seen ukes made with tree back and sides, but not with a tree top, let alone an all tree tree neck. Thanks to all for supportive commentary!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default NCAL meeting 7/9/17

I have sent out email announcing this Sunday's NCAL meeting but the event is open to all interested parties, so I'd like to mention it here as well. The address and time are listed on the club's website at: http://NCAL.club as will be subsequent meetings.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:59 AM

There's something perfect about that wood on a uke, maybe the tortoise shell pattern goes with the islands vibe
Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today I buffed out the D28ish I am building for Mike Wilhoyte and then I glued the neck onto the body. If I have time tomorrow, I expect to get it fretted and possibly make and install the bridge. If I do get that far, I will get to hear it on Wednesday. And you will see pictures and get hear my first impressions.

Yesterday was the third NCAL meeting I've hosted since I became president of what we loosely refer to as an organization. The meeting was hosted by a member name of Tom Leaf. Tom has been spending a lot of time gathering material in what he calls the "Urban Forest". These are architectural trees in our neighborhood gardens as well as gems in the local lumberyard. He has some nice tools and spent time explaining how to approach yield and well as acquiring the resources themselves. It was my kind of meeting.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

This was my third meeting since joining NCAL. What a great source of information and education from top tier builders to amateurs like myself. Check out the NCAL.club website for future meeting locations.
I stopped by Bruce's shop on the way home and was able to see and hold the tree uke. Gotta say, the photos don't really do the instrument justice. It's the most beautiful thing to behold. Unbelievably light weight. He said it was one of his most difficult builds due to the type and thinness of the wood.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Dream Guitars has put up a page (including video) featuring the JB-15 "Dream Series" you watched me build a couple of months back. Access it HERE.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 07-12-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Here ya go...

Old 07-13-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
I just had a chance to hear this video. Your guitars need the best recording process to really show what they got. I can't imagine hearing this guitar played all night. Your right. One day I need to get to a show and experience some fine guitars.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I just had a chance to hear this video. Your guitars need the best recording process to really show what they got. I can't imagine hearing this guitar played all night. Your right. One day I need to get to a show and experience some fine guitars.
It doesn't hurt a thing that Al has played this tune on (probably) thousands of guitars. It amounts to a nearly level playing field.

My own recordings were never intended to be state of the art recordings or playing, but rather a way to compare my guitars directly to each other within the limitations of my system.

I do hope to meet you one day.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
It doesn't hurt a thing that Al has played this tune on (probably) thousands of guitars. It amounts to a nearly level playing field.

My own recordings were never intended to be state of the art recordings or playing, but rather a way to compare my guitars directly to each other within the limitations of my system.

I do hope to meet you one day.
Al could probably play any guitar and wring the best out of it, and make them sound their best by the tune he decides to play. His playing this same tune does give a good reference across guitars, just as your recordings do the same across your guitars. More than once I replayed a recording of yours because it spoke to me, part the player and part the guitar. And I am used to Al doing a wonderful job of showcasing instruments, and I have heard a few of your guitars online but it sounded like he really enjoyed playing it.

I would be honored to meet you, retirement is not looking too far off, it would not be a big surprise if I took a walkabout and I found myself on the west coast.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop