The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Brian,

I'm no expert in GuitarPro, but in version 5, it has the capability for entering two separate voices. You should enter the melody in voice one (upper voice) and the bass in voice two (lower voice). This should place your note stems in the proper direction, and the bass notes will not affect the note duration in the melody.

Larry
Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryKu View Post
Brian,

I'm no expert in GuitarPro, but in version 5, it has the capability for entering two separate voices. You should enter the melody in voice one (upper voice) and the bass in voice two (lower voice). This should place your note stems in the proper direction, and the bass notes will not affect the note duration in the melody.

Larry
Ahh! Thanks a ton.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:29 PM

Also my favourite subject!

Long time fingerstyler first time poster here (I once frequented another forum but faded from there and started writing a blog instead, blogs are a bit monoversation I think I need some interaction, so here I am.)

I've been arranging (hacking together) popular songs for fingerstyle for several years now, first it was transcriptions from other players which really helped, now it is my own stuff. Early stuff is a bit meh, more recent stuff is starting to please me more. Try, and try again!

Most of the tips I can think of have already been touched upon here; and without wanting to seem pretentious in my first post - rather to cite more examples of this subject for the thread originator usb_chord, the following is a list of songs I have arranged/transcribed, with tab, and video link.

http://jaw.ii.net/stuff/tab.html

Pleased to met you all!
JAW
Perth, Western Oz
Old 02-08-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW View Post
Also my favourite subject!

Long time fingerstyler first time poster here (I once frequented another forum but faded from there and started writing a blog instead, blogs are a bit monoversation I think I need some interaction, so here I am.)

I've been arranging (hacking together) popular songs for fingerstyle for several years now, first it was transcriptions from other players which really helped, now it is my own stuff. Early stuff is a bit meh, more recent stuff is starting to please me more. Try, and try again!

Most of the tips I can think of have already been touched upon here; and without wanting to seem pretentious in my first post - rather to cite more examples of this subject for the thread originator usb_chord, the following is a list of songs I have arranged/transcribed, with tab, and video link.

http://jaw.ii.net/stuff/tab.html

Pleased to met you all!
JAW
Perth, Western Oz
Wow, didn't know jawmunji posted here! I'm still working on your arrangement of Canon in D. It's great, although it loses something coming from my fingers. Great to see you posting.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Only just signed up, but I do love to yak, that'd be why they call me JAW... I'm starting off slowly here : )

Canon in D, well it was largely Chief Noda who did the arrangement, I just hacked it to make it a bit more playable; I'm guessing he was more of a classical player whereas I'm just a hack. Make no mistake though, it's tough going. Many have tried it with varying success, the main difficultly is keeping the bass notes ringing throughout a bar. Left hand work is a bit awkward in places no thanks to the Drop D tuning, but right hand would be fine for an averagely seasoned fingerstyle player.

It's got no thumb independance requirement which is the usual brain hurdle, and probably why many people attempt it - "It's just a classical style piece!" Don't be fooled!

I never really perfected it, and I don't play it often (still haven't memorised it, shh!) - it is one of those songs we all have that we played too much and now we are a bit allergic to it. I'll revisit it one day with renewed gusto.

Anyway, thanks for the Ack, I won't drag this thread off-topic any further : )
JAW
Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 AM

As long as one can capture the essence of a song, the possibilities are endless.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write