The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-03-2021, 03:55 PM

Default Weymann 12 string parlor bridge & tailpiece

Hello, my name's Nicola I'm a guitarist and "luthiery" enthusiast, I've bought recently a Vintage VE8000PB-12 online for the price of € 200. I was not much concerned about the condition of the guitar (that looked pretty good from pictures) and decided to take the risk. Unluckily the guitar came with a severe belly bulge that makes it really hard to play it up the 5th fret.
I know the guitar is the copy of a Weymann 12 string parlor owned by Paul Brett, but the original is coming with a tail piece. Is it possible that the decision to move the tension from the tailblock (Weymann) to the pin bridge (Vintage) caused the belly bulge ?
Anyways my question is: would it be a good idea to modify the existing bridge and add a brand new tailpiece in order to recreate the original set up of the Weymann? (6 strings fixed to the bridge e 6 going to the tail piece).
Of course reducing the bulge and regluing the bridge would be the first move.
Do you believe the problem will come up again ?
Should I give up and just add a bridge doctor ? I fear this could mute the wonderful sound this guitar has...
Thanks in advance for your comments and Sorry for my English
Nicola
Old 02-11-2021, 08:10 AM

It's hard to know exactly. You could move all 12 to the tailpiece, not modify the bridge, and definitely have less torque on the top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair